• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic 2022-23 Mid-Atlantic Ski Resorts/Conditions/Meetups

Status
Not open for further replies.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's on there now...$10, advance reservations only

OK I'm there Sunday Dec 4th @11am. It's roughly 3 hours from here so out the door between 7:30 and 8am.. Ski for 2 hours when I get there then bail at 1 when the post lunch chaos ensues. If anyone else decides to go PM me and we can try to conned there..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still down to hit the Appal bump 11-2 tomorrow. If you see me you'll know it..

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
I finally got my first day in at Seven Springs. Conditions were about as good as machine-made can be.

Wagner
1670265429_vuwsjdhjmyac.jpg

The best snow and most vertical was found in the Alley.
1670265724_obxnwnhmdmjb.jpg

1670265753_qjkcfbndajwp.jpg

It looks like the North Face will be the next slope open. They've been making snow its entire length.
1670265873_cqxhnauqjztd.jpg

The Front Side open runs were Wagner, Cortina to the lower third of Stowe, Phillip's, and Fawn. Santa's Beard and Artic blast terrain parks didn't have features built yet. The top of Stowe has a lot of snow, and snowmaking continued down to the new Avalanche quad, so that should open soon.

On the North Face, Lost Boy was open to the Alley terrain park, which was already built out.

We got about a dozen runs in and skied all open terrain at least twice before we called it a day. Perhaps we will hit Timberline next week.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
I finally got my first day in at Seven Springs. Conditions were about as good as machine-made can be.

Wagner
1670265429_vuwsjdhjmyac.jpg

The best snow and most vertical was found in the Alley.
1670265724_obxnwnhmdmjb.jpg

1670265753_qjkcfbndajwp.jpg

It looks like the North Face will be the next slope open. They've been making snow its entire length.
1670265873_cqxhnauqjztd.jpg

The Front Side open runs were Wagner, Cortina to the lower third of Stowe, Phillip's, and Fawn. Santa's Beard and Artic blast terrain parks didn't have features built yet. The top of Stowe has a lot of snow, and snowmaking continued down to the new Avalanche quad, so that should open soon.

On the North Face, Lost Boy was open to the Alley terrain park, which was already built out.

We got about a dozen runs in and skied all open terrain at least twice before we called it a day. Perhaps we will hit Timberline next week.
I was disappointed with the snow that was made all the way up Stowe that the Tyrol lift would be running so all of Stowe could be skied not just the middle down accessed from the Cortina lift.
With all the rain we’ve had anything being open is impressive.

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
Hey everyone - late to the party for posting this season! I am still teaching at App on most but not all Saturdays. I will be there this Saturday 12/10 and I expect it to be warm and rainy in the afternoon. I am also there on 12/17, then not again until January except to sneak a day in at Sugar or Beech, if anyone is interested (weather dependent of course - let's hope for some colder less rainy weather).

I am also planning to be at Snowshoe 2/15-2/16 for a PSIA event. These are fun simply because it's midweek and my family is allowing me to go. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hey everyone - late to the party for posting this season! I am still teaching at App on most but not all Saturdays. I will be there this Saturday 12/10 and I expect it to be warm and rainy in the afternoon. I am also there on 12/17, then not again until January except to sneak a day in at Sugar or Beech, if anyone is interested (weather dependent of course - let's hope for some colder less rainy weather).

I am also planning to be at Snowshoe 2/15-2/16 for a PSIA event. These are fun simply because it's midweek and my family is allowing me to go. :)
I was there with Lisa and Robin last Sunday. Might be back with a college kid Jan 2nd or 3rd..
1670511579694.png

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
Saturday 12/10 was a foggy warm day. Lots of clinics among the staff. Spring conditions indeed!

0262ba70-ade5-44a1-bf67-f28cbd5156db-jpeg.185655

Attachments

• 0262BA70-ADE5-44A1-BF67-F28CBD5156DB.jpeg
    0262BA70-ADE5-44A1-BF67-F28CBD5156DB.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 4267F796-D187-40D5-A555-EBD015142DE4.jpeg
    4267F796-D187-40D5-A555-EBD015142DE4.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 3
  • BD4F3E2D-FEC8-4A4C-94D0-2B856B330C32.jpeg
    BD4F3E2D-FEC8-4A4C-94D0-2B856B330C32.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Liberty Mountain, PA, officially announced that they won't open this coming weekend. Given the warm weather it isn't shocking: ground isn't even close to frozen and snowmaking windows have been non-existent. We'll see if things can right themselves in the next week to 10 days.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Liberty Mountain, PA, officially announced that they won't open this coming weekend. Given the warm weather it isn't shocking: ground isn't even close to frozen and snowmaking windows have been non-existent. We'll see if things can right themselves in the next week to 10 days.

Sad. But not even close to unexpected.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad. But not even close to unexpected.

I'm worried that they'll run into the issues they had last year with the hurry-up snowmaking offensive after the misfired opening. They blew a lot of snow atop non-frozen ground - which basically kept it at or slightly above freezing for most of the season given the insulating power of snow. Combined with the lack of water bars on the steep trails at the top of the backside, they had things shifting and sliding all season, with crevasses opening at the top of Upper Ultra a few times during the season. Basically put: the packed layer floated downhill on a layer of liquid water as there were no water bars to divert it.

I suggested to mountain ops that they have some water bars cut into the upper trails but I didn't see them doing that this summer, so... we shall see.

At least Whitetail and Roundtop have some snow on the ground from their guns. Liberty is all green grass right now.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking about hitting Timberline on Sunday... anyone else that might be there and want to make some turns, let me know!

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Seven Springs today, not as nice conditions as last week but they haven't lost any terrain. The Alley was built out from Deer Pass, the crossover back to the lodge. Snow guns were still blazing at 11 on North Face and the rest of Lost Boy, and other select areas. Upper Stowe still not open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online