• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blossom AM77

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Long term update: This is a ski I don't often think about a review update because its become my personal pair of skis like a comfortable pair of jeans.
As @Philpug mentioned on January 5th, we both took these skis to Sun Valley thinking it was the perfect Sun Valley kind of ski. Much to our surpirse, we were treated with powder days. I've always said, "I'd rather be caught with a skinny ski on a powder day than a powder ski on a groomer day."
This was a test of that statement, and the AM77 held up well, cutting through chopped powder and dancing through the moguls. When we were trying to sort out which length I wanted in this particular ski (between the 163 and 170cm) I opted for the 170 and am thoroughly glad I did. Quick turning, stable at speed and smooth to a fault.
Though I don't ski in jeans, the AM77 is like my comfortable pair of jeans in the ski world.
I would not have guessed a 170 for you, but on the type of day you write about it probably was a good choice.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Today I took the SkiTalk test AM77 with the Speedcom binding system to Mt. Rose. Conditions were very similar to my post upthread: firm chalk with scraped off spots and a bit of softening snow. I found the Speedcom AM77s to have many of the same attributes as the Speedlock Pro setup. The very quiet, smooth, and attached to the snow feeling is evident in both pair of skis. The main difference I noted is the Speedcom is a little more relaxed, especially in the hard chalk in the trees. They allow a bit more slipping and sliding without getting the edgy feel I felt with the Speedlock setup. On the groomers the Speedcom Blossoms still held tight though maybe a bit less tenaciously. Both pair of skis are 176cm and have the original factory tune.

I could be very happy on either, though my preference for carving on groomers would lead me to the Speedlock. That's good since I already own them!;) For a lighter skier or someone who is looking for an exceptional ride with a bit less bite, the Speedcom is money.

I tried to clean the snow off but it was frozen!
20220117_090922.jpg

Last edited:

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Being a new owner of a yet to be skied pair of Blossom AM77s, I’m curious if anyone has skied them with both the factory 1/2 tune and a custom tune like a 1/3 or other? I had the good fortune of having skied a day last season on a pair of Augment AM77s with a .7/3 tune and found them to be money. I know I should probably try the factory tune first on my new blossoms, but I would appreciate hearing any personal experiences with different comparison tunes on this ski.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Being a new owner of a yet to be skied pair of Blossom AM77s, I’m curious if anyone has skied them with both the factory 1/2 tune and a custom tune like a 1/3 or other? I had the good fortune of having skied a day last season on a pair of Augment AM77s with a .7/3 tune and found them to be money. I know I should probably try the factory tune first on my new blossoms, but I would appreciate hearing any personal experiences with different comparison tunes on this ski.
I changed mine to 1/3 before skiing them and haven’t changed. I’m in the West where things get firm but not icy.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I'm on the AM85. I skied the factory 1/2 just for grins. I knew I was going to put a 1/3 on them, as I'm in the east and all my skis are tuned 1 (or less) /3. I liked the ski in a 1/2, but for me, it came more alive after the 1/3. For what that's worth; different ski but same family.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Back to Mt. Rose (are we seeing a pattern yet?) with a fresh tune on my personal AM77/Siderals.

I've been skiing them at a 1/2 and like them but they're getting to need some love and I might go to a 1/3.
After quite a few days on the original tune, which was really good, the edges have been getting a little tired and noticeably less grippy on the hard snow we've been experiencing. What to do? I took them over to @Philpug's garage and grabbed the Toko Edge Tuner World Cup, set it at 87, held my breath and went to work. After pulling the sidewall back for good 3° clearance I went over the edges twice with the coarse wheel, and once each with medium, fine, and extra fine. The result was a very sharp, consistent edge that I though might be too much. A quick, light, run down the edges with a gummy stone, with a bit more pressure right at the tips and tails for an inch or two on the running surface, finished the work. The result?
Being a new owner of a yet to be skied pair of Blossom AM77s, I’m curious if anyone has skied them with both the factory 1/2 tune and a custom tune like a 1/3 or other?
DO IT! If you're going to be using the AM77 mainly on groomers, the 1/3 steps the performance up yet another notch. The skis are really good at 1/2 (when it's a fresh 1/2) but, like @Scruffy said about the AM85s, they come alive with the 1/3. They were still quite manageable at all speeds but it became very noticeable at higher speed, high edge angle carving, like "I hope my knees hang on here" carving. I didn't experience any untoward catches on the tips or tails. Ski them at the factory tune until they need a freshening, and pull the trigger on the 1/3. GRINS 'N' GIGGLES!

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Ski them at the factory tune until they need a freshening, and pull the trigger on the 1/3.
Thank you for the update, I will do exactly that. And thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I’ll be heading to Snowbasin within the week for the rest of the season and will need to find a shop there that can give them a decent tune. Snow dance needed . . . .

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you for the update, I will do exactly that. And thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I’ll be heading to Snowbasin within the week for the rest of the season and will need to find a shop there that can give them a decent tune. Snow dance needed . . . .
@AmyPJ, do you know anyone who tunes skis near Snowbasin?…

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
So, I now have a couple of days on my pair and these things friggin rock. Everything that everyone has said about them is true. Very solid and damp, just an incredibly smooth ride. Not sure if it is the ski or because its paired with the Vist Speedlock Pro biding. But just wow. Those that like the Stockli AX may seriously want to take a look at these. In my opinion, they are the AX times 10.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ, do you know anyone who tunes skis near Snowbasin?…
Why yes I do! He’ll be tuning this Saturday night. OP MUST be very specific he wants a 1/3 or he’ll get a 1/2.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
What to do? I took them over to @Philpug's garage and grabbed the Toko Edge Tuner World Cup, set it at 87, held my breath and went to work. After pulling the sidewall back for good 3° clearance I went over the edges twice with the coarse wheel, and once each with medium, fine, and extra fine. The result was a very sharp, consistent edge that I though might be too much. A quick, light, run down the edges with a gummy stone, with a bit more pressure right at the tips and tails for an inch or two on the running surface, finished the work. The result?

:golfclap:

Found a video of the procedure

Uncle-A

Skier
In the OP the tip about the binding Vist Speedlock it doesn't have a model number. When I went to the Blossom website they had a few different bindings and they have model number. Can the testers share the model number that was tested?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Speedlock Pro Super Light plate with VPM412 bindings. The numbers refer to the DIN range, so between 4-12. Similarly the V 614, V 816 and V1018 have a different DIN range. After the V the next couple of letters may designate the color of the binding (back, black/white, red/white) on some models. You can also order color covers for the bindings. Also, you can order the bindings flat if you don't want/need a plate.

The Speedcom plate takes a different binding, the VSP 412 or 311. Those are not available flat. The Speedcom bindings are GW compatible. Important to keep in mind, the bindings that work with Speedlock plates are not GW compatible.

When ordering with Blossom skis, the Vist bindings are branded Blossom. At least mine came that way.

If you want the complete Vist info here it is:

I've only had a few days on my AM77's, however so far I really like the bindings, they feel very solid and they are easy to step into and out of. Easily as good if not better than my Attack 13's.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
I have the Speedlock Pro Super Light plate with VPM412 bindings. The numbers refer to the DIN range, so between 4-12. Similarly the V 614, V 816 and V1018 have a different DIN range. After the V the next couple of letters may designate the color of the binding (back, black/white, red/white) on some models. You can also order color covers for the bindings. Also, you can order the bindings flat if you don't want/need a plate.

The Speedcom plate takes a different binding, the VSP 412 or 311. Those are not available flat. The Speedcom bindings are GW compatible. Important to keep in mind, the bindings that work with Speedlock plates are not GW compatible.

When ordering with Blossom skis, the Vist bindings are branded Blossom. At least mine came that way.

I've only had a few days on my AM77's, however so far I really like the bindings, they feel very solid and they are easy to step into and out of. Easily as good if not better than my Attack 13's.

One additional comment: The speedlock plates can be metal (heavy/stiff) or plastic (lighter, little less stiff).

Comparing what is listed at: https://shop.premierskis.com/20-bindings
Vist speedlock pro light binding plate with V614 bindingsb--> this plate is 16mm metal and the binding DIN range is 6-14.
Vist speedlock pro superlight binding plate with V412 bindings --> this plate is 16mm plastic and the binding DIN range is 4-12.

Uncle-A

Skier

Thanks

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just finished mounting these yesterday and was able to catch Mt Baker this afternoon with Honkers baked to perfection. Lately I've been riding a lot of my 183 Bonafides so a Whiteout in a 176 is a welcome change. Such an easy going carver: nice, variable turn shapes at slow to medium speeds. The AM77 is probably going to replace my Hero SL.

But I'm not sure why so many are mounting these with plates, because at least for me, these are as fine of a spring bump ski that I could hope for.

IMG_6358.jpeg

I couldn't get the skis, moguls, and Mt Shuksan in the shot at once, so here's the skis and Shuksan.

IMG_6357.jpeg

Me riding up with my kid. When he's at school, I'm borrowing his boots. I like the green on blue, but @Philpug is giving me grief.

IMG_6354.jpeg

I think the sale is still going on for a couple more days...

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just finished mounting these yesterday and was able to catch Mt Baker this afternoon with Honkers baked to perfection. Lately I've been riding a lot of my 183 Bonafides so a Whiteout in a 176 is a welcome change. Such an easy going carver: nice, variable turn shapes at slow to medium speeds. The AM77 is probably going to replace my Hero SL.

But I'm not sure why so many are mounting these with plates, because at least for me, these are as fine of a spring bump ski that I could hope for.

View attachment 157620

I couldn't get the skis, moguls, and Mt Shuksan in the shot at once, so here's the skis and Shuksan.

View attachment 157619

Me riding up with my kid. When he's at school, I'm borrowing his boots. I like the green on blue, but @Philpug is giving me grief.

View attachment 157618

If you're interested in color coordinating using some replacement tongues, you know where to find me... :)

Uncle-A

Skier

View attachment 157620

View attachment 157619

View attachment 157618

You seem to want to color coordinate the boot to the ski, but if you want to match the binding I have the green FT tongues. There is a picture in the All Things Reichle thread. If you are willing to pay for shipping you can have the 27.5 boots complete.

Sponsor