• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 Blossom AM77

applecart

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for the report!
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the ski in bumps without the plate binding. I was having second thoughts not using plates. I hope I feel the same way about the skis

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Does Blossom have demo days in the east?

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the report!
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the ski in bumps without the plate binding. I was having second thoughts not using plates. I hope I feel the same way about the skis

I see how a plate could improve performance, but I can't imagine it making it more fun than it already is. It is such an easy going ski. Medium speeds with nice medium radius turns, but drop the knees a bit, add some light forward pressure, and the radius tightens up easily, not at all abruptly. Really easy to control. I gave them to my son for a run -- we have the same BSL, so we swap sometimes -- he is a few inches shorter and 35 pounds lighter, but he was able to make a quick transition from his 163 S/Force TI.80 to the 176 AM77s. The skis just clicked for him.

If I were skiing hard icy conditions, I'd grab my GS cheaters with a plate. If it's less than two day old Baker snow, I'd be on my Bonafides. But for everything in between, I'll probably be using my new AM77s.

puptwin

good ideas, poorly executed
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see how a plate could improve performance, but I can't imagine it making it more fun than it already is. It is such an easy going ski. Medium speeds with nice medium radius turns, but drop the knees a bit, add some light forward pressure, and the radius tightens up easily, not at all abruptly. Really easy to control. I gave them to my son for a run -- we have the same BSL, so we swap sometimes -- he is a few inches shorter and 35 pounds lighter, but he was able to make a quick transition from his 163 S/Force TI.80 to the 176 AM77s. The skis just clicked for him.

If I were skiing hard icy conditions, I'd grab my GS cheaters with a plate. If it's less than two day old Baker snow, I'd be on my Bonafides. But for everything in between, I'll probably be using my new AM77s.
I have the White Out from last year with a Pivot 15. My son has the AM77 with the Speedlock Pro Superlight plate, both are 176. Last Sunday I spent the morning on mine and the afternoon on his. My take away is that the ski retains the same character (progressive nature, predictable...) when fitted with the plate; but the plate gives the ski more authority. The difference really stood out on steeper, more demanding terrain. The 412 binding feels very solid too. It's a great package, especially here on the East Coast.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Being a new owner of a yet to be skied pair of Blossom AM77s, I’m curious if anyone has skied them with both the factory 1/2 tune and a custom tune like a 1/3 or other? I had the good fortune of having skied a day last season on a pair of Augment AM77s with a .7/3 tune and found them to be money. I know I should probably try the factory tune first on my new blossoms, but I would appreciate hearing any personal experiences with different comparison tunes on this ski.
Good running into you...
IMG_7384.jpeg

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Skied my AM77 3 days mostly groomers and some bumps. The accolades these skis get on this site are totally on point and well deserved. The flex pattern, construction and shape of this ski is some magic formula. They can be skied easy with a centered stance, let you get away with some backseat, and still you'll make good looking brushed short turns. Ski them with a more forward stance with focus and reap the rewards; any turn shape, any speed, any time. Steep big bumps under the snowmaking guns, just be on your game and you'll cut right through them with style and grace. The wide tips seem to absorb the backside of the bump and don't seem too grabby, the flex is not so stiff, it's pretty medium and compliant, the tail releases easy.

I am having a hard time deciding which ski I like better between my 170 cm AM77 and my 170 cm No1 RC, both with the Vist VSP412 and SpeedCom system. I think the No1 RC is a little less forgiving and requires more awareness of your movements. The AM77 lets you get away with taking a run "off" and won't make you look like you've taken a run "off". The No1 RC is definitely quicker edge to edge and when you're "on", you're a rock star banging out turns with confidence that the skis will hold. The AM77 likes to finish the "C" shape turn and you can take more time with it; edge hold also not an issue. AM77 can handle the steeper bigger bumps better. No1 RC is more rewarding when you're really on it on the fast steep groomers. I also think the No1 RC plows through crud better as it feels more stout. AM77 is just easier to ski from bell to bell as it's less tiring. Both skis have their place but there is some overlap. No1 RC if you want a dedicated groomer day ski that can handle some soft low to medium angle bumps and crud and is very rewarding when you bring your "A" game. AM77 for a ski that can tackle hard snow days with ease and also do some steeper larger bumps and a decent amount of fresh snow.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I took my AM 77's with me to Aspen. This is after using then almost exclusively for a multi-week clinic (5 Fridays) in Jan/Feb, with mostly firm and spring conditions at Alpental. So I've had about 16-17 days on them, and got a lot of use with them not only on groomers, but bumps (including big bumps), steeps, some slush, mixed conditions, basically everything but a powder day.

Even with the Speedlock Pro Super Light plate they are easy to work in bumps, and for really big bumps they are just fine. When pressuring the ski from tip to tail, you get speed control from not only the tip engaging earlier than with an early-rise ski, but the tail also being pressured the whole ski length grips and helps with speed control if you complete turns rather than slam into the next bump with a minimal turn.

In contrast my ON3P Woodsman 102 has a long early rise in the tip and a rockered tail, which makes it more pivoty, but if you ski the bumps similar to short radius turns the AM77 gives you better speed control. For powder day bumps the Woodsman is better, otherwise take your pick.

The AM77's also excel at being able to de-edge, as well as have excellent edge grip; sometimes you want to drift and smear turns. The point is I can take the AM77's just about anywhere. At Snowmass, KT Gully, AMF and all the runouts were no problem, at Highlands Deep Temerity I was skiing right on a certain grumpy King's tails in the bumps. The groomers at Snowmass, Ajax and Highlands were obviously where these things shine and shine they did. They are very easy and intuitive to put on edge, and change from short to long radius turns. They are not wiggly or squirrelly on the straightaways, though they feel more planted on edge (so the lesson is: always be turning, but the size of the radius is up to you).

I got the skis wondering if I could use them everywhere I would ski my Renoun Z90's and there are very few instances in which the Z90's are better and that would be where I'm likely to spend more time in variable off-piste conditions, which we normally get a lot of in the PNW, though this season has been different. I think I've used my Z90's twice this season. That says something, as I love the Z90's and they have been my go-to ski the past 3 seasons.

So for anyone who's wondering whether to get the AM77's with or without a plate: get the plate. With the plate they are responsive without being too stiff or twitchy, while being stable and planted. I never felt like I had to adjust to the ski or learn its quirks, it just works. Great ski.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I took my AM 77's with me to Aspen. This is after using then almost exclusively for a multi-week clinic (5 Fridays) in Jan/Feb, with mostly firm and spring conditions at Alpental. So I've had about 16-17 days on them, and got a lot of use with them not only on groomers, but bumps (including big bumps), steeps, some slush, mixed conditions, basically everything but a powder day.

Even with the Speedlock Pro Super Light plate they are easy to work in bumps, and for really big bumps they are just fine. When pressuring the ski from tip to tail, you get speed control from not only the tip engaging earlier than with an early-rise ski, but the tail also being pressured the whole ski length grips and helps with speed control if you complete turns rather than slam into the next bump with a minimal turn.

In contrast my ON3P Woodsman 102 has a long early rise in the tip and a rockered tail, which makes it more pivoty, but if you ski the bumps similar to short radius turns the AM77 gives you better speed control. For powder day bumps the Woodsman is better, otherwise take your pick.

The AM77's also excel at being able to de-edge, as well as have excellent edge grip; sometimes you want to drift and smear turns. The point is I can take the AM77's just about anywhere. At Snowmass, KT Gully, AMF and all the runouts were no problem, at Highlands Deep Temerity I was skiing right on a certain grumpy King's tails in the bumps. The groomers at Snowmass, Ajax and Highlands were obviously where these things shine and shine they did. They are very easy and intuitive to put on edge, and change from short to long radius turns. They are not wiggly or squirrelly on the straightaways, though they feel more planted on edge (so the lesson is: always be turning, but the size of the radius is up to you).

I got the skis wondering if I could use them everywhere I would ski my Renoun Z90's and there are very few instances in which the Z90's are better and that would be where I'm likely to spend more time in variable off-piste conditions, which we normally get a lot of in the PNW, though this season has been different. I think I've used my Z90's twice this season. That says something, as I love the Z90's and they have been my go-to ski the past 3 seasons.

So for anyone who's wondering whether to get the AM77's with or without a plate: get the plate. With the plate they are responsive without being too stiff or twitchy, while being stable and planted. I never felt like I had to adjust to the ski or learn its quirks, it just works. Great ski.
Nice review of the AM77. Thanks

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier

Nice review; totally agree. I have 5 or 6 days on mine and am blown away by the range of conditions these skis excel in.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Still loving the AM77 on groomers. I was having some troubles in the bumps and off-piste stuff and wanted to give it another shot. Recently, I've been on the Rossignol Experience 86TI and felt way better than usual in the bumps with a little change in how I was skiing the bumps. I was determined to make the AM77 work for me in the bumps. Much better today, though not as easy as the Rossignols, which didn't surprise me. The shape of the Blossom is much more groomer oriented but they can be skied in the bumps. Someone with more skill than me (that's a LOT of people!) will have no problems with them. I also took them into a couple of the small Chutes at Mt. Rose, very steep, dicey entries, and didn't feel like they were a hinderance. Again, not their bread and butter, but entirely manageable. Conditions were scraped off old snow with bumps thrown in for excitement. I skied carefully and tactically; I'm not one to just point and shoot when if you fall you may not stop for several hundred feet and that stop may be effected by a rather large, immovable object.

Anyway, the AM77 still impresses as an all-mountain, low tide tool for resort areas.
20220316_143653.jpg
20220316_143118.jpg
20220316_135254.jpg

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long term update: Still loving the AM77 on groomers. I was having some troubles in the bumps and off-piste stuff and wanted to give it another shot. Recently, I've been on the Rossignol Experience 86TI and felt way better than usual in the bumps with a little change in how I was skiing the bumps. I was determined to make the AM77 work for me in the bumps. Much better today, though not as easy as the Rossignols, which didn't surprise me. The shape of the Blossom is much more groomer oriented but they can be skied in the bumps. Someone with more skill than me (that's a LOT of people!) will have no problems with them. I also took them into a couple of the small Chutes at Mt. Rose, very steep, dicey entries, and didn't feel like they were a hinderance. Again, not their bread and butter, but entirely manageable. Conditions were scraped off old snow with bumps thrown in for excitement. I skied carefully and tactically; I'm not one to just point and shoot when if you fall you may not stop for several hundred feet and that stop may be effected by a rather large, immovable object.

Anyway, the AM77 still impresses as an all-mountain, low tide tool for resort areas.
View attachment 163305 View attachment 163306 View attachment 163307

Those are my kind of bumps!

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Honestly, I am planning to drop from 176 AM77s to 170s with the Speedlock Light plate at the end of this season. My biggest question is whether that’s the right binding set up for a 70/30 ski. Last season I was all about bombing down groomers. This season I am thoroughly enjoying bumps and trees as well.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I am planning to drop from 176 AM77s to 170s with the Speedlock Light plate at the end of this season. My biggest question is whether that’s the right binding set up for a 70/30 ski. Last season I was all about bombing down groomers. This season I am thoroughly enjoying bumps and trees as well.
@bbihas his mounted without a plate. He could give some insight to that setup.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got probably about 10-12 days on my AM77s @ 176. I’m not big on bumps but when the conditions beg I mess around. Love them as a all mountain but every time I get to messing around in the bumps I wish I had something shorter. Everything’s a trade off all depends on what you spend your time skiing mostly. It’s a hell of a groomer zoomer for sure but think I’d prefer my AXs same length in bumps over the AM, think it’s more the width of the tips Ax being much narrower

Last edited:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got probably about 10-12 days on my AM77s @ 176. I’m not big on bumps but when the conditions beg I mess around. Love them as an all mountain but every time I get to messing around in the bumps I wish I had something shorter.

I'm in the same boat, although I have many more days on my 176s. I want 170s for off piste. Plus at 5'9" and 145lbs, @Philpug suggested I drop down to 170s so I can bend them better. My only question is plate or throw my Pivot 14s on them I have laying around. Leaning toward the former as I will still spend most of my time on the groomed runs and these skis are just so fun there.

Sponsor