• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2022 New England Gathering discussion

What location is preferred?

• Killiington

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Saddleback

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Either

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

All three towns are on the approaches to Killington.
I'm all too familiar with VT speed traps, even in the K-town area. I also got away with driving way too fast through these areas a few times before I knew better.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last edited:
Reactions: Ogg

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had one , Back in the late 70's - mid 80's when I skied Killington , Woodstock was the only one I remember as being strict, I don't even think the other towns had a real patrol car back then.

James

Out There
Instructor
Plymouth I set cruise at 35mph. Would not be surprised if they gave a ticket at 37.
Bridgewater recently upped one section from 25 to 30 I think.
I once had a cop follow me at night during Thanksgiving weekend from outside Woodstock to Ludlow. That’s like 35 min. He finally pulled me over on some flimsy excuse of not stopping for someone who wanted to cross the street. I didn’t get a ticket though.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How many can you guess before you open the link? I got one.

(My second guess was #7. I think my third guess may not have been a real town name at all.)
I got two in the top 15 but none in the top three.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How many can you guess before you open the link? I got one.

(My second guess was #7. I think my third guess may not have been a real town name at all.)

I got one at #7 too. Interesting story is later that year I got pulled over for speeding near Slide Brook Lodge and that first speeding ticket on my record was somehow instrumental in the cop letting me off with a warning. He mentioned to me something about not wanting to get two speeding tickets in Vermont in one year. Unexpected, but I was grateful nevertheless.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plymouth I set cruise at 35mph. Would not be surprised if they gave a ticket at 37.
Bridgewater recently upped one section from 25 to 30 I think.
I once had a cop follow me at night during Thanksgiving weekend from outside Woodstock to Ludlow. That’s like 35 min. He finally pulled me over on some flimsy excuse of not stopping for someone who wanted to cross the street. I didn’t get a ticket though.

Interesting. Might as well check for alcohol on your breath after all the work he put into tailing you I suppose.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Tried reading though this thread for a timetable but all I gather is early Spring/late March. Is this accurate?

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
The general speed limit in VT used to be 50 on main roads, and 25 in villages. If it’s posted you would follow the sign. This may have changed.

Those hilly, curvy roads (the ones that are numbered; e.g., Rt. 4, Rt. 100) have hidden dangers. These include speed traps for anyone not paying attention to when the speed limit changes entering a village, and seemingly suicidal deer that leap right in front of you to certain death. Also moose, bear cubs, and crazed out-of-state drivers trying to
make it to the condo in time to party.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Thanks James. I'm a passholder at K for the past 6 years doing weekends/holidays/powderdays, probably 200+ days there since 2015/16 Would be happy to show some people around. It's Vermont so conditions dictate; but let's hope for a 90%+ open mountain late March!

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
Knock on wood, never had issues getting to Killington Road/The Woods via Rt 4 but I'm not a speed demon. I go through Queensbury>Whitehall>Rutland>Mendon. Watch the speed through Pico Pass if it's snowing bc it can get sketchy.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We drive up Route 7 from Troy area after getting off the NY Thruway. I drive a consistent 5 mph over the speed limit except in towns posting < 40 mph, those I stay right at the speed limit. I've never been ticketed, but I have been tailgated and passed unsafely maaaany times by folks from NY and NJ.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I only go through Plymouth on the way to Killington. Other places are Chester but I don't go that way too often. Londonderry often now has a cop right near downtown catching folks as they turn onto 100 to go towards ludlow. I set my cruise in all those places.

James

Out There
Instructor
Going into Londonderry from Bromley/Manchester on Rte 11 could be a nearly impossible speed trap, but I’ve never seen one. You go from 50mph, to 40 and the 30, but the change is on a pretty steep downhill. I doubt many are doing 30 down that hill.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Going into Londonderry from Bromley/Manchester on Rte 11 could be a nearly impossible speed trap, but I’ve never seen one. You go from 50mph, to 40 and the 30, but the change is on a pretty steep downhill. I doubt many are doing 30 down that hill.

The smart ones go 30

Same coming from magic too.. 50.... to 40... to 30...

There never used to be a cop there but it's not uncommon now.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
WIndham County Sheriff department has upped their game in the past couple years. I have noticed their presence in Jamaica last couple years. Never noticed them there before. Must be on a fund raising drive.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a different world in rural Vt. In the greater Boston area I only use cruise control on the highway, and even then only during non peak hours. There's way too much traffic in towns or in between towns to allow its use. It's funny to hear you turn on cruise control (or set it) when you come into a town. But I get it. I never do that, buts it's force of habit for me.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like @James , I like to use the cruise control when going through VT towns. Been doing that for years. Not so much to avoid meeting the revenue collectors but out of respect for the residents. The remainder of the roads are a blast to drive compared to interstates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online