2023 Lusti MP77

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Size tested: 177cm
Location tested: Palisades Tahoe, CA
Conditions tested in: Softening firm groomers, hard solid crust

Philpug: We get the question a lot: "What is an all mountain ski that I can progress on?" If you are a guy, the Lusti Men's Process 77 or its moniker the MP 77. Yes, this is another very familiar shaped ski at 130/77/112 that will make a multitude of turn shapes at a multitude of speeds including all but the highest that you would expect from an all mountain ski, but that‘s what you have the Performance Carve or PC77 for.

Yes, I was able to find the limits of the MP, but quite frankly that is when I put the ski in uncomfortable places (not unlike the back seat of a Volkswagen). Where the MP77 is most comfortable is holding your hand and walking you though your progression, and while it will help you get better and find your turn, it will not punish you, but (like other Lusti skis) reward you with a silky smooth turn no matter the snow conditions.
  • Insider tip: No need to step up to the Speedlock.
  • One thing I would change: Better discription of the MP77 on Lusti's site.

Andy Mink: The MP77 provides a more mellow ride than the PC77 in the same dimensions. It definitely has a limit where a bigger guy, i.e. me, or a stronger skier will find its limits when pushed, but it needs to be pushed pretty far first. On the softer morning groomers the MP77 carves very smoothly with confidence. On the firmer, steeper, runs the little brother to the excellent Lusti PC77 loses some grip at higher edge angles. The loss comes on progressively so there are no surprises and it's easily managed.

The softer flex makes the MP77 a bit more inviting in bumps and more uneven terrain than the stronger PC77.

• Insider tip: It skis true to length but I'd err on the longer side if between lengths.
  • One thing I would change: Nothing. I think Lusti hit the nail on the head for the expectations of this ski. And the graphics are great!

Who is it for?
The advancing skier looking for a very capable ride to take them to the next level on groomers and light off piste duty. Skiers with a good skills foundation looking to improve, or lightweight experts with a great foundation.
Who is it not for?
Heavier or stronger skiers will find the ski's limit (but will have to work for it).
Skier ability
  1. Intermediate
  2. Advanced
Ski category
  1. Frontside
  2. All Mountain
Ski attributes
  1. Groomers
  2. Moguls
Segment
  1. Men

Specifications

Available sizes
Dimensions
130/77/112
Rocker profile
  1. Full camber
Size Scaling
  1. None
Construction design
  1. Carryover
Binding options
  1. Flat
  2. System
  3. Plate
right ad

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I've been on a pair of Volkl RTM 79s for several seasons as my first skis. They work great for me but sometimes, when I'm going fast, they get chattery and feel soft. I'm working on both carving (not there much) and being more comfortable at higher speeds.

I weight175ish, or maybe a little more due to the pandemic, at 5'10". Not a charger, trying to ski smoother and better. All East coast groomers.

I'd been looking at the Blossom AM77 with the lightest plate for next season, but these are a lot cheaper.

Would these skis be a noticeable step up from my Volkls? Or should I try for the Blossoms.

Not sure about sizing of either ski either (170 or 177); my Volkls are 170s.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been on a pair of Volkl RTM 79s for several seasons as my first skis. They work great for me but sometimes, when I'm going fast, they get chattery and feel soft. I'm working on both carving (not there much) and being more comfortable at higher speeds.

I weight175ish, or maybe a little more due to the pandemic, at 5'10". Not a charger, trying to ski smoother and better. All East coast groomers.

I'd been looking at the Blossom AM77 with the lightest plate for next season, but these are a lot cheaper.

Would these skis be a noticeable step up from my Volkls? Or should I try for the Blossoms.

Not sure about sizing of either ski either (170 or 177); my Volkls are 170s.
These will be a step up from the Volkl's for sure, then the Blossoms a step up from these then the PC77 up from the Blossoms. Small steps but steps none the less. If going with the 170, the AM77 or the PC77 if you are investing in a change.

Sponsor