• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I sure hope they get that new lift installed before season starts. I'm not a lover of rope tows, nor are my gloves. I ended up wrapping them in duct tape last time I went. The duct tape saved the leather, but getting the goo off afterwards was not fun.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I sure hope they get that new lift installed before season starts. I'm not a lover of rope tows, nor are my gloves. I ended up wrapping them in duct tape last time I went. The duct tape saved the leather, but getting the goo off afterwards was not fun.
It's only critical when the new HSQ is down, which we hope will be a much rarer phenomenon than it was with the old double that was more vulnerable to the wind.

James

Out There
Instructor
Let’s call the whole thing off. Rope tows, frost heaves and moose on the roads. Now we hear about fog. Just a nightmare.
Will Magic have their chairlift install running before Saddleback? They have a 3 or 4?? year head start.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s call the whole thing off. Rope tows, frost heaves and moose on the roads. Now we hear about fog. Just a nightmare.
Will Magic have their chairlift install running before Saddleback? They have a 3 or 4?? year head start.
Moose in the roads are an asset. They weed out the careless and unobservant. Exception: Miata-driving riff-raff get a pass, as they pass right under if their aim is true.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not a fan of the rope tow either, or what it did to my mitts. But when only the surface lifts are running... remember that day even the beginner area chair was on wind hold for a good part.

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t worry, @Tony S will organize a group buy on moose hide glove protectors.

When those guys from Australia a few years ago said they were going to buy Saddleback and turn it into “The premier resort in North America”, rope tows were not mentioned. Now look at us.

I’m so disappointed. Not sure I can get through the twilight zone of NH, then navigate the moose kingdom of Maine to make it to Saddleback. At least going to the NJ mall I only have to worry about getting arrested after eating at the local diner.

Bob Dylan is now too old to write a song about this.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are people who want adventure and then there are people who want Vermont. What can I say? :huh:

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I'm still not clear... which is the #1, most-premier, bestest-ever resort in North America... Saddleback or Mad River?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And here I am thinking we're all on the same team, rooting against Massachusetts. :nono:
Well, it's very complicated here in the Balkans, isn't it?

In Maine and NH, that's definitely a thing. When I lived in Burlington area, in the 90s, it wasn't. NY, CT, and NJ were the heavy out of state presences. It actually felt kind of like MA got a bit of a pass due to the Red Sox and the Patriots, honestly. But maybe I wasn't tuned in to the fine points, and maybe it's different now anyway.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I live in Mass and my son went to college at the University of Vermont. When he moved back home he brought at life sized cut out of Bernie Sanders. We use it now to throw darts at. Does that count as a war? :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
^^^
C'mon... MRG was never even voted #1 by Liftopia like Magic was!
That’s right. Saddleback wasn’t even a thought in that. But, that was before Magic took four years to put in a lift that came from Stratton.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Not a fan of the rope tow either, or what it did to my mitts. But when only the surface lifts are running... remember that day even the beginner area chair was on wind hold for a good part.
The two days I was at Saddleback last spring the wind holds were super-sizers. Horizontal sleet with wind strong enough to blow over any walking bipeds venturing outdoors. If they were carrying snowboards, they were doomed.

This was then. It won't happen again. But if it does, it will still be fun. Type 3 fun, right?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online