• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 New England Gathering Discussion (March 24 - 26, Sugarloaf / Saddleback)

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The two days I was at Saddleback last spring the wind holds were super-sizers. Horizontal sleet with wind strong enough to blow over any walking bipeds venturing outdoors. If they were carrying snowboards, they were doomed.

This was then. It won't happen again. But if it does, it will still be fun. Type 3 fun, right?
If that happens again it's time to rent skins and touring skis. I did skin up one day when it was like that. It was fun, in a sweaty sort of way.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Type 3? I'm only familiar with type 1 and type 2.
I think that was the point.

Type I is fun that's fun while you're doing it. Type II is fun that's fun after you've done it. Type III is fun that's not fun while you're doing it and also not fun after you've done it, unless you are, basically, a logger, snowmaker, waiter, big wall climber, customer service rep, middle school teacher, or other professional masochist.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Oh... so Type III is not fun. I thought it was some new type I needed to learn about!
But the story telling afterwards is fun. You just hope don't want to repeat the experience.
The fun scale - Sketchplanations

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of type III fun, are there any "White Horse Inns" I should avoid when making a res in Rangeley?

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking of type III fun, are there any "White Horse Inns" I should avoid when making a res in Rangeley?

Okay, I'm curious...why would you want to avoid White Horse Inn? I stayed there a couple times and it was fine.

FYI, it was sold to new owners recently and is now White Horse Lodge.

James

Out There
Instructor
No one mentioned the Saddleback fog before the vote! It could’ve been a selling feature. “Just like Whistler! or Whitefish!”

…unless you are, basically, a logger, snowmaker, waiter, big wall climber, customer service rep, middle school teacher, or other professional masochist.
Gathermeister??

James

Out There
Instructor
Or Targhee, or Big White!

Saddleback is in good company apparently...
Yep. It’s Littlefish.
But don’t worry about the fog and driving sleet, you can hang onto the rope!

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, so this solves the mystery. The former owner was already past the end of his leash when he took it all out on me during the NE Gathering last spring. He didn't care what the fallout might be
Hmm, I missed that story.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those other lodges look pretty nice! There’s a walking path behind the Warren Lodge and you bet I creeped on it when I walked by.

I stayed at the Warren Lodge when it was the Golden something or other. Cheap and clean. White Horse Inn was similar and a great location. I didn't get bad treatment like Tony did, though.

Sponsor

Staff online