• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As I have always caution the good folks that skis with me. They should strongly reconsider their available options when they see me bend over to buckle my boots.
It may not be safe to assume that folks who ski with you are big into considering their options.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After seeing the photo of @mdf perched in a place I might not want to be, I'm already considering my options.

No worries, mate. You will be fine.
Our motto is "Leave no man/woman/whatever behind."

Correction: I believe @mdf had modified that to "No more than one (01) per run" few seasons back.:ogbiggrin:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After seeing the photo of @mdf perched in a place I might not want to be, I'm already considering my options.
The truly scary thing is that I got in that predicament by following my son, and he went on ahead thinking it was no big deal.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The truly scary thing is that I got in that predicament by following my son, and he went on ahead thinking it was no big deal.

Nice to be young.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you're skiing with a group that has a "Ministry of bad decisions" one should plan for an alternate escape route.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At Taos, the way out of the proverbial frying pan is through an inferno.

Deep fried or BBR. Your choice.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Airline tossed a grenade into my nice convenient flight to ABQ. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop on the return flight.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Made the commitment, plus one friend, plus an option on one other. Lodging in town booked.

Since this will be my first time skiing in NM, I'm considering adding a couple other mountains to the trip. Angel Fire, Pajarito, Ski Santa Fe seem reasonable based on location around the Albuquerque-Taos corridor and raw stats. Any opinions on them?

View attachment 174576
Have not been to all of them but they are fun places and bargains---if you are over 70, last year the season pass at Red River was $5. Sipapu used to be the same but it has bumped up the age to 75. Now price is found online and can be in the $20 range for a senior mid-week. Both are fun little spots. Sipapu is a really small family place, but when there is snow there are steeps, glades etc. with no one skiing them. Without seeing any of you ski, I can say it is very likely you will be the best skier on the mountain. I spent two months in Taos last winter and spent more time at those places than TSV.

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sipapu was under mandatory evac orders this summer from the 350,000 acre fire that decimated huge swaths of Northern New Mexico. I dont know if it was spared or not.

Sponsor