• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2023 Taos Mini-Gathering: February 4th - February 11th, 2023

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Sipapu was under mandatory evac orders this summer from the 350,000 acre fire that decimated huge swaths of Northern New Mexico. I dont know if it was spared or not.

Cruised past Sipapu several times lately looking for a home in Taos. No fire damage at Sipapu but some nearby.

IMG20220923153700.jpg

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The fire marched toward Sipapu for a month. It was finally on the backside, and it seemed there was no way it would not burn. They removed the chairs and turned on the snowmaking. I figured if the lodge and trees went they would not rebuild. To double the disaster, the creek along the base has some of the best small stream fly fishing anywhere. By some miracle, the weather and wind changed, the 1000 people working the lines made progress, and it stopped just short of the Sipapu drainage, just nicking some headwaters.

It is just 20 minutes from our house, so we regularly run over there for a few runs or a few casts. The forest in the area was closed all summer because of so much heavy equipment working the fire lines and mitigating fire and flash flood damage. That was too bad, but it gave the stream a break from the onslaught of bait fishing Texans. They opened it in September, and in the first two hours of fishing I hooked and carefully released over 50 healthy trout. The ski area looks good and had the shop and cabins open when we left for Oregon.

Last edited:

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for posting this, @Snowfan . Been a while since I'd been in snow like that and it would sure be nice to have it at Taos somewhere between February 4th and the 11th...

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks for posting this, @Snowfan . Been a while since I'd been in snow like that and it would sure be nice to have it at Taos somewhere between February 4th and the 11th...

1) I obviously have to get yellow pants
2) If I were able to ski Ernie's in snow like that I would just call it good and die happy on the spot.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They just sent out an email:

"Last night, we took a momentous step in our winter preparations when the snowmaking team fired up the snow guns! With a little help from Mother Nature, our amazing team is now working strategically to produce the perfect base as efficiently as possible. Soon that team, and those guns, will be working 24/7 to ensure those turns were worth the wait!"

Sponsor