• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2023 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where does one get the green chiles in the northeast?

https://www.yghatchchile.com/

They carry the jugs at our Fry's (Kroger) in Arizona. There is a map at the bottom of the page, but nothing showing in the northeast, but maybe worth checking your Kroger (or whatever chain they own up there).

They do mail order, but it seems like you have to buy an awful lot. i.e. THREE 24 oz jugs - which would last me a very long time.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Open buckles - draw in the pow. Plus excessive resistance. Feet get cold.

My feet extrudes project an smell aura that prevents the snow from entering the boot.

The buckle wings on the boots actually act like curb feelers. Remote sensors for measurement of ski edge angle.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Same group today as yesterday and Bob Gleason joined us to lead us around after lunch..

IMG20230322130523.jpg

A bizarre 35° at the base and pretty heavy graupel snowfall turned into fantastic windpact trough filling mogul leveling perfection. Al's was amazingly smooth. Hit North American and Spencer's both twice....same. Never heard of skiing this kind of snow could be so wonderful at these temperatures.

The free ride World Tour was canceled for today and they'll pick up today's event tomorrow. It's pouring rain in town at 52° and I imagine the mountain is getting graupel dumped... Colder temperatures and some sunshine tomorrow in the forecast.

100+ inch base for tomorrow. That's rare here. We skied the lower front side steeps all day.

Screenshot_2023-03-22-17-07-01-90_e3a132af18e8226d09f962e6869415f3.jpg

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Any chance we can get together for food and beverages tomorrow after skiing at the base or in town which might save us some money?

Last edited:

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Oh yes! Didn't know your screen name. Sorry. You kick butt too!
Yes, they both do. The 3 of us did a private ski week together in the beginning of March, it was great fun with excellent snow conditions. We hiked the Ridge 3X in a week, skied Tresckow, Wild West and 2 Bucks off the Ridge. When we skied Wild West it was untracked after a storm, it was amazing. The other stuff we skied was Castor, R&R, Ernie's, Lorelei Trees and What 3. I think What 3 was the most challenging terrain we skied. We also lapped Kachina when it opened - skied in K5/K6, K4, Prime Real Estate trees. Skipping the line on Kachina lift when you are with instructor in the ski week is very nice. :)

It was an amazing week and I will be back next year.

Last edited:

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Yes, they both do. The 3 of us did a private ski week together in the beginning of March, it was great fun with excellent snow conditions. We hiked the Ridge 3X in a week, skied Tresckow, Wild West and 2 Bucks off the Ridge. When we skied Wild West it was untracked after a storm, it was amazing. The other stuff we skied was Castor, R&R, Ernie's, Lorelei Trees and What 3. I think What 3 was the most challenging terrain we skied. We also lapped Kachina when it opened - skied in K5/K6, K4, Prime Realt Estate trees. Skipping the line on Kachina lift when you are with instructor in the ski week is very nice. :)

It was an amazing week and I will be back next year.

Awesome post. You skied several hidden gems. Well done.

Neurodrive

Getting on the lift
Skier
Any chance we can get together for food and beverages tomorrow after skiing at the base or in town which might save us some money?
Another amazing day skiing at Taos. I feel like I'm getting a bit spoiled my first time here with such great snow conditions and even better people.

I am definitely up for going out for some food and drinks. Both tomorrow and Friday work for me. Not sure what are the good places, so I'll leave that up to the locals to decide.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Another amazing day skiing at Taos. I feel like I'm getting a bit spoiled my first time here with such great snow conditions and even better people.

I am definitely up for going out for some food and drinks. Both tomorrow and Friday work for me. Not sure what are the good places, so I'll leave that up to the locals to decide.
Actually, yes you are getting spoiled and getting wrong impressions.

Normal day at Taos is hammering rocks first half of a run and then trying to hold on to icepack on blown sidewalls on the second half.

Tell everyone there is really no reason to travel to Taos. Colorado and Utah are way better ;)

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My experience so far has been that March is a great snow month.
I would say if you had to pick one week to ski Taos, it would be this week, second to the last week in March. Last year I came last week in March, snow was starting to melt fast. Afternoons were great, the mornings on the bumps were brutal. No one would be sking in the mornings. I asked the lifty one morning if I’m the only one skiing, he said “no there are 5 of you”. He was serious too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
the mornings on the bumps were brutal. No one would be sking in the mornings. I asked the lifty one morning if I’m the only one skiing, he said “no there are 5 of you”. He was serious too.

1679584469575.png

BTW, Al's skied really well after the being groomed. This is one of the few times I am not complaining about the brutal grooming.

Sponsor

Staff online