• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2024 New England Gathering discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time I was at Magic was MLK weekend 2019 (I think). It was an utter unmitigated shit show. So bad that I just left at 10:00 and drove back to Maine.
Not getting the full story here. Saturday of MLK was not bad at all wrt crowds, a bit scratchy. A forecasted major snow storm happened that night, with the epi-center in Southern VT. All of New England showed up at Magic on Sunday. Lines were heinously bad but it was an amazingly deep day. Tony had a conniption and left at 10 or so. @mdf and I skied just about to closing bell - me the just about and past the bell you know who.

TS
ilovepugs

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
just hang out in the lodge
Friday night at Cochran’s is the best. $5 skiing, $10 lasagna or whatever the race team parents cook up. That could be in lieu of an organized, reservations-made dinner. Followed up with après at Hatchet in Richmond.

Couple hours at Cochran’s unnecessary though. An hour and a half tops with most of the time on the T bar. Or just skin/hike up (my preference).

If MRG is on the itinerary late March is as late as I’d plan.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've skied MRG twice with the NEG crew. First time there was about as little snow left on the hill as there could be and still be able to pick your way down on skis. Second time there was plenty of snow and pretty good conditions.

The last time I was there, and I can't remember if it was with this crew or not, It was so filled in we skied right past that little waterfall jump thing you have to negotiate on Paradise without even noticing it.

So, ya never know until ya know.

I suggest a certain fluidity based around Mad River Valley region. Could audible to Bolton , I've skied there but not explore the woods and AT or XCD. Jay Peak, I know some fun, easily accessible side country there. And if the snow is marginal we can stick to the majors.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I suggest a certain fluidity based around Mad River Valley region.
I knew the MRV was more progressive than other parts of VT, but ... Not that there's anything wrong with that :ogbiggrin:

Could audible to Bolton , I've skied there but not explore the woods and AT or XCD.
I'd be up for that.

Jay Peak, I know some fun, easily accessible side country there. And if the snow is marginal we can stick to the majors.

Jay is almost 2hrs from MRV. Prolly can't get the NEG posse to drive that far away from home base. Smuggs is just over an hour however.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Jay is almost 2hrs from MRV. Prolly can't get the NEG posse to drive that far away from home base. Smuggs is just over an hour however.

I think Jay would have to be in conjunction with the Eastern Townships, but Bolton could easily be part of a Mad River / Bolton / Sugarbush trip (i.e., one day at each).

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been to Smuggler’s once, 20 years ago, loved the Madonna side. Do they still call it that? I like the old New England vibe, even if lifts are slow.

I’ve been skunked twice with low snow at Jay, although it was early season both times, Xmas and MLK.It is far from everything. For me, main reason to pick it would be to check out the Eastern Township places. Suggest late March, not April. Will there be border/passport problems or is that more fluid again?

I like the idea of picking a major resort as base, with audible to minor(s) based on conditions.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been to Smuggler’s once, 20 years ago, loved the Madonna side. Do they still call it that? I like the old New England vibe, even if lifts are slow.

I’ve been skunked twice with low snow at Jay, although it was early season both times, Xmas and MLK.It is far from everything. For me, main reason to pick it would be to check out the Eastern Township places. Suggest late March, not April. Will there be border/passport problems or is that more fluid again?

I like the idea of picking a major resort as base, with audible to minor(s) based on conditions.

Border Xing was piece of pie, easy as cake, when I went to Tremblant this past Jan. Tremblant was off the hook good. Snowed like 18" the day we drove up. We were there for a week, everything open. Woods were great!

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would suggest MRG, Sugarbush, Stowe, lots of good skiing at all of them, and not a lot of driving between them

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you need a passport to cross
In theory, if you elected to get the enhanced driver's license the last time you were up for renewal, you can use it to travel to Canada and Mexico without a passport. I took my passport to Canada, so did not try the driver's license.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What is this "audible" thing?
Football term where the play is changed at the line of scrimmage once the teams are lined up, rather than the original play called in the huddle. In usage it just means a change in play/plan, or can refer to act of changing too (verb or noun).

So I could say "The team called an audible to a better play." Or you could say "The team audibled to a better play."

Not sure of the etymology, or if it has anything to do with hearing, and yelling out the new play. (That would be my guess.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Football term where the play is changed at the line of scrimmage once the teams are lined up, rather than the original play called in the huddle. In usage it just means a change in play/plan, or can refer to act of changing too (verb or noun).

So I could say "The team called an audible to a better play." Or you could say "The team audibled to a better play."

Not sure of the etymology, or if it has anything to do with hearing, and yelling out the new play. (That would be my guess.)
Excellent answer. Thanks. Learned something new.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is weed legal in Canada? We don’t won’t people in jail just for going skiing.

Just waiting for Tony’s Gatherings memoir. Executive Producer - Prince Harry
Still working on titles.

Gathering Storms
Hell Snow
What Have I Done?
It’s Raining Inside My Coat

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m no football expert, but I believe it’s when the QB changes the play by yelling out a new one in some code not understood by the opposition. It’s called “audible” because it’s yelled out at the last second as opposed to transmitted in the huddle or at the sidelines. . In our case, it would be by the Gathermeister, but NOT after groomer skiers split off from the bumps people!!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is weed legal in Canada? We don’t won’t people in jail just for going skiing.

Yeah but don't bring any in or take any out with you. The border patrol does not take kindly to that.

I know someone who was fined $500 USD recently for having some ( a small personal amount ) in their possession while crossing the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online