• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2025 Volkl Mantra Collection

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
SLIDER.png

For 2025 Volkl has solidified their freeride collection to be called Mantra. There is no longer a Kendo or Katana but now a Mantra 88 and Manta 108 as bookends to the Mantra 96 M7 (with 4D radius) and the Mantra 102 making a collection that is a little more fitting and well understandable.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Totally agree that the M6 tip can get vague on ice, but it was barely perceptible and did that particular shovel design make the ski better in the "Junk" where I mostly ski? :huh: W/ 4D hopefully it does not lose that loose feeling in the Junk, in favor of more precise turns on piste in hardpack conditions. I have the Bones (Blizzard Bonafide) for that w/ 2 sheets of metal to smooth out the super hardpack. What might be interesting is a future beefed up version of the M 88 w/ more metal for slaying east coast crud, hardpack and ice. :beercheer:

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting. I like the m6 balance of piste and off piste capabilities. Never really felt like the ski was balky on groomers and not wanting to engage.

Feels to me when skiing the m6 the mid radius is most noticeable and where they started and the other design elements, the skis flex and rocker is balanced around that mid ski area. Maybe there are more changes in m7 like rocker profile or flex that support this the new tip focus as well?

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Totally agree that the M6 tip can get vague on ice, but it was barely perceptible and did that particular shovel design make the ski better in the "Junk" where I mostly ski? :huh: W/ 4D hopefully it does not lose that loose feeling in the Junk, in favor of more precise turns on piste in hardpack conditions. I have the Bones (Blizzard Bonafide) for that w/ 2 sheets of metal to smooth out the super hardpack. What might be interesting is a future beefed up version of the M 88 w/ more metal for slaying east coast crud, hardpack and ice. :beercheer:

I never got along w the Mantra- too narrow too float, too wide to carve here in the East. Ppl seem to love them though.

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
The point where the tip taper ends on the M7 is much more evident in the sidecut over the more rounded blending of the M6 (freeze the vid at 0:56). I think the added width to the tip and tail is awesome and look forward to this treatment on a future Kendo. The Kendo is simply an amazing ski, for me, in deep snow, but it's a bit of a slug on groomers. Sure it rails but it doesn't bite on tip-in like a Monster 88 or, to a lesser but still pronounced degree, a Brahma 88. Yup, everything is a trade off, but if one skis fast i cannot overstate how stupid good the Kendo is in 3D snow. I doesn't need to be that good. It can still be crazy good with that rocker + lack of camber profile, I just think it needs a couple more mm tip and tail, just like Volkl appears to have done with the new M7.

Yeah yeah, get a wider ski for deep snow. I've got all that. But the Kendo could truly be a OSQ at a mere 88mm just based on its deep snow chops (for some skiers), it just needs to be a more engaging carver. Opinions are like......and I guess if we take that to the extreme we end up with close to a Deacon 84. I talk myself in circles.

Last edited:

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Can’t wait for the 88 and 102 to get the M7 updates in the following season. The current models have pretty much become my two ski quiver. Volkl has been knocking it out of the park recently…

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can’t wait for the 88 and 102 to get the M7 updates in the following season. The current models have pretty much become my two ski quiver. Volkl has been knocking it out of the park recently…
I don't disagree with you, especially with the Mantra 88.

Sponsor

Staff online