• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2025 Volkl Mantra Collection

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish Stockli made something like the current Kendo with the baby seal skin and solved the front.

You mean the SR 88 is very different? Genuine question, never skied either of these…

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
You mean the SR 88 is very different? Genuine question, never skied either of these…
I preferred the Kendo hands down. Granted I skied them on different days in different conditions (and they were both demos from different shops, so tuning is a consideration), but the SR88 just felt too soft and a bit lazy. The Kendo felt quicker edge to edge and had more power.

James

Out There
Instructor
I can’t answer that directly.
Point is, you can’t escape the feel of the Volkl construction. The ski itself has a wide range of ability to handle itself in difficult conditions and at speed which is impressive.

They’re been a few skis I’ve tried that I wished Stockli made. The Rustler 9 when it came out. But Stockli was too conservative for that type of design.
But even the Bonafide of say 5 years ago. It was a really good ski with to me just an awful feel on certain snow.

These things are both positive and negative for Stockli. Maybe they could have different versions of the same ski for stronger skiers and reduce the # of models. I don’t know, they do have to stay in business.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll hopefully get to compare the two in a week or so. Found Kendo 88 at a price I couldn’t pass up. They are shorter (177) than my SR88 (184).

Motodog71

Booting up
Skier
I can’t answer that directly.
Point is, you can’t escape the feel of the Volkl construction. The ski itself has a wide range of ability to handle itself in difficult conditions and at speed which is impressive.

They’re been a few skis I’ve tried that I wished Stockli made. The Rustler 9 when it came out. But Stockli was too conservative for that type of design.
But even the Bonafide of say 5 years ago. It was a really good ski with to me just an awful feel on certain snow.

These things are both positive and negative for Stockli. Maybe they could have different versions of the same ski for stronger skiers and reduce the # of models. I don’t know, they do have to stay in business.
To me the new M7 is more damp and less snappy than the M6. If you are a fan of Stockli you probably will prefer the M7. I've liked the energy of the Vokls over Stockli dampness. Most people look at under ft widths but the M7 is 4mm wider in the tip to 139 so getting too wide for me for bumps as a daily driver even though the under ft is unchanged. Could be interesting to see what they do with the Kendo/Mantra 88 when comes out as maybe the tips will go to 133 from 128 more in line with what I'm looking for in a daily driver.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’d take the SR95 over the M7 off piste any day, having tested both on the same runs about an hour apart in 176 and 177 cm respectively. Would be a no brainer if the SR95 wasn’t almost 2x the cost of the M7.

The SR95 is damp, but it also has enough personality. The M7 is just really damp. It doesn’t feel like a fat Kendo at all, and I like the way the Kendo/M88 feel.

Now I’m thinking “get the Kendo/M88 before Volkl changes it”.

Motodog71

Booting up
Skier
I’d take the SR95 over the M7 off piste any day, having tested both on the same runs about an hour apart in 176 and 177 cm respectively. Would be a no brainer if the SR95 wasn’t almost 2x the cost of the M7.

The SR95 is damp, but it also has enough personality. The M7 is just really damp. It doesn’t feel like a fat Kendo at all, and I like the way the Kendo/M88 feel.

Now I’m thinking “get the Kendo/M88 before Volkl changes it”.
I haven't skied the current year Stockli SR so can't comment but when skied the SR 88 and 95 2 years ago felt super damp with 0 energy to me. I had the Gen 1 and Gen 3 Bonafide but fell in love with the M6 mantra for its charging firm hold but also fun energy that is able to do all turn shapes easily. The Kendo is a great ski as well was a toss up for me when bought my M6. That's why I love demo days to find the perfect ski for each of us.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish Stockli made something like the current Kendo with the baby seal skin and solved the front.

The issue I have with the dead baby seal skin (DBSS) is I can't feel a thing in bumps. I don't know where I am on the bump.
I ski a very round line in bumps. I am usually looking where I am going next. The DBSS neuters the snow feel and feed back from the ski. Almost like sensory depredation.
On groomers, the DBSS is not so bad when snow and terrain conditions are way more predictable.

The 5th gen Kendo and the M6 are different skis.
The M6 is softer and more compliant. A bit slower and more forgiving in firm bumps. Have to be careful not to fold the ski on firm groomers.
The 5th gen Kendo is quicker and better edge on the groomed. Quicker in the bumps. Less forgiving when weight gets back.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
There is little question in my mind that Volkl's 3D radius made a huge difference in the way their skis. I agree that Volkl did what they needed to do for the marketers to add the "4" one way or another, all I do know this is the best tip engaging Mantra ever.
I get it - I do love how the current 3D radius skis ski. 3D radius is a real thing. But you lose me when you introduce “quad” (or whatever it’s called) radius. Two radii in the tip is just silly… Where does it stop?

And in terms of marketing (since you mentioned it). How is an average consumer going to react to “quad” radius? Call BS? What is the purpose of two different radii in the tip? Is the average consumer going to pressure the tips two different ways to experience it? When most people don’t even know how to drive the front of the ski to begin with?

There’s got to be a better way of communicating the advantages of the new sidecut than calling it quad radius…

If Volkl widened the tips of the M7 to make turn initiation easier, they should just call it what it is. Could actually help sales more than inventing the “quad” radius BS.

James

Out There
Instructor
But you lose me when you introduce “quad” (or whatever it’s called) radius. Two radii in the tip is just silly… Where does it stop?
They could take it further-

IMG_2159.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The M6 is softer and more compliant. A bit slower and more forgiving in firm bumps. Have to be careful not to fold the ski on firm groomers.
STILL need to try this ski. I think I might like it, and maybe they'll be cheap now.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
To me the new M7 is more damp and less snappy than the M6. If you are a fan of Stockli you probably will prefer the M7. I've liked the energy of the Vokls over Stockli dampness. Most people look at under ft widths but the M7 is 4mm wider in the tip to 139 so getting too wide for me for bumps as a daily driver even though the under ft is unchanged. Could be interesting to see what they do with the Kendo/Mantra 88 when comes out as maybe the tips will go to 133 from 128 more in line with what I'm looking for in a daily driver.
Interesting. I really like the all mountain and carving abilities of the M6. Skied them today in 15" mix of graupel and cream cheese fresh snow conditions. That fresh turned to deep crud and heavy chop with wet roller balls by mid afternoon as well as some of the best groomer conditions I have seen in years. The 2 year old m6 still carve like a house afire. And are quite fun and good in cream cheese snow and heavy crud. Not sure I like the sound of these changes for AM skiing. If they are trying to make the M7 into a hard snow ski or fat carver then maybe I sit this one out.

James

Out There
Instructor
The 5th gen Kendo and the M6 are different skis.
The 5th gen Kendo is quicker and better edge on the groomed. Quicker in the bumps. Less forgiving when weight gets back.
Bold = sad! Their top ski should not do that.

That’s the thing with the Kendo, even in the 178. It won’t fold up. It seems to just whole ski bounce if you really dig the front in at speed. I only did this twice.

I don’t find the tail any issue from years of slalom ski therapy. I found accidentally that if you have the right terrain under the ski at turn exit, you can carve off the tail.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get it - I do love how the current 3D radius skis ski. 3D radius is a real thing. But you lose me when you introduce “quad” (or whatever it’s called) radius. Two radii in the tip is just silly… Where does it stop?
Don't worry about what they call it, that is all marketing ...what it does is where the rubber meets the road. That is the difference.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bold = sad! Their designated top ski should not do that.

FIFY.

TBH, The M6 is probably a better fit for most average skiers*.

* Most here know the high regards I have for the average skier. :ogcool:

Sponsor

Staff online