• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2025 Volkl Mantra Collection

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I had Volkl Kendo's (ugly gray ones, about 2015 or so, maybe older) and long, heavy, skinny Volkl AC-3's before that. Are there other skis I would find comparable or better than my M5's, or am I not able to judge a different ski based on just a couple of runs?

The M5 is a nice ski. Logged 135 days on them before moving to the M6. The only reason the M5 had so many days on them is due to the 4th gen Kendo I was running concurrently was such a dog. The M6 is a much better all around ski.

As I said, the M5 is nice, but it does have some glaring short comings. It lacks the required torsional rigidity to hold a secure edge on very firm snow and ice. The glassy feeling when on very firm snow and ice does not inspire confidence to say the least.

Between the M6 and 5th gen Kendo, I usually will pull the Kendo out of the trunk. Haven't skied on the M7 yet, so no opinion on that.

James

Out There
Instructor
We are currently on the 5th gen. Started in 2023.
Proud owner of the 5th Generation!
Is the Mantra 88 the same or a 6th generation?
- How about an Uvo glued on the front. Think that’ll reduce the glassy feeling?

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
There was also the Kendo 92 which was a Secret 92 with a different top sheet. I skied it back to back at Niseko on spring-like snow and icy conditions with the 4th Gen Kendo. Both were extremely fun skis, but the K92 was even better at running over crud and death cookies. Still made all the hollow Kendo sounds.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Proud owner of the 5th Generation!
Is the Mantra 88 the same or a 6th generation?
- How about an Uvo glued on the front. Think that’ll reduce the glassy feeling?

I believe the Mantra 88 will be the same as the current Kendo with NGT. The Kendo is not due for an "upgrade" for another season.

Don't think the UVO thingie is enough too do the job. You may want to try one of this.

1710351445215.png

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There was also the Kendo 92 which was a Secret 92 with a different top sheet. I skied it back to back at Niseko on spring-like snow and icy conditions with the 4th Gen Kendo. Both were extremely fun skis, but the K92 was even better at running over crud and death cookies. Still made all the hollow Kendo sounds.

The Secret 92 is a skinny M5 rather than a fat 4th gen Kendo. The Secret 92 has all the short fall of the M5 in very firm snow & ice. Couple women in my group tossed the ski after skiing the Chutes at Mt. Rose in icy condition. One women took an 800 feet express elevator ride on that run. Not a good thing.

I was there that day and did not like the feel of the M5 on ice. I have skied Volkl skis since the '80s. Never felt that on a Volkl.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting! I’ll be sure to demo the new M7 Mantra when it comes out then as well as the 5th gen Kendo/M88.

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks like some non US retailers are getting the 2024/25 Mantra collection to list on their websites (apparently they’re out of stock at the moment). Could explain why I saw some M7s at Niseko if they were selling them in Australia/New Zealand already.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree - not sure why they prioritize updates to the 96mm width, and leave the other ones unchanged… They should just update the entire lineup, especially now that all the skis share the Mantra name.

Because the M6/7 is the most important Mantra and for many out there it is THE 90-100 reference ski.

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Because the M6/7 is the most important Mantra and for many out there it is THE 90-100 reference ski.

I get it… I just selfishly prefer the M102 to the 96, but I guess I’ll wait another season for it to be updated. Although there’s not much I’d change about the current M102 gen, so curious what the next version will feel like…

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get it… I just selfishly prefer the M102 to the 96, but I guess I’ll wait another season for it to be updated. Although there’s not much I’d change about the current M102 gen, so curious what the next version will feel like…

Me too. M102 is one of the skis I really want but now not sure what to do. The current gen skis great, I like very much how the new ones look but imagine the next gen is much better? Or much worse and we missed out on the good ones? Damn you Volkl..

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Demo day today at Stevens Pass. Skied the Mantra M7 and Mantra 88, which as discussed is a reskinned Kendo.

I personally prefer the Mantra 88. The M7 feels planky and disconnected compared to other skis I’ve tried today (Stockli Stormrider 95, Elan Ripstick Black Edition 102)

Attachments

• IMG_7979.jpeg
    IMG_7979.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7986.jpeg
    IMG_7986.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 29

Yarecki

Putting on skis
Skier
Demo day today at Stevens Pass. Skied the Mantra M7 and Mantra 88, which as discussed is a reskinned Kendo.

I personally prefer the Mantra 88. The M7 feels planky and disconnected compared to other skis I’ve tried today (Stockli Stormrider 95, Elan Ripstick Black Edition 102)

Kendo (now Mantra 88) is an amazing ski. The more I ski, it the more I appreciate how versatile it is. I have it in my basically two ski quiver with Mantra 102. I’m eager to try the new M7, but I recall demoing the M6 last season and for some reason liking it less than my 88 and 102… Could have been the tune or the bindings.

The new “quad” radius is getting kind of silly though. Volkl needs to stop with that nonsense…

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The new “quad” radius is getting kind of silly though. Volkl needs to stop with that nonsense…

That's all marketing BS. Your choice to step in it or not.
Me, I am deaf and blind to the incessant market BS. I just care how the ski skis.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is little question in my mind that Volkl's 3D radius made a huge difference in the way their skis. I agree that Volkl did what they needed to do for the marketers to add the "4" one way or another, all I do know this is the best tip engaging Mantra ever.

Motodog71

Booting up
Skier
Skied the new M7 at Mt Rose the other week vs my M6. What stands out most is the wider tip. This made the ski have more edge grip in GS type turns when leaned over and should be better in powder. I found maybe at slow speed fast turns with bases more flat I liked the M6 better for bumps. I have a second ski the Blaze 106 that is my Pow/backcountry ski. Maybe it was the tip but the M7 also feels more damp than the M6 which is good for icy conditions but maybe not as lively as the M6 was my feel. If looking for a one ski quiver with good groomer and powder performance the M7 is an improvement but for me with a 2 ski quiver didn't think it was worth an upgrade to the newest version. I also tried the new Enforcer and Anomaly skis which were improvements over previous but still preferred the Mantra M7.

Sponsor

Staff online