• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Peak Into Reservation System/VR SNAFUS

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just tried to make "week of" reservations at Vail for a couple of days next week. But, all such days, in fact all days next week, are blocked off as not yet available.
Makes no sense so tried to call Epic Pass, and cannot even get put on hold. Recording simply says call back later. WTF kind of system is this, when you follow all the rules and can't accomplish your goal or even get a simple explanation?
Also tried Beaver Creek, Keystone and Crested Butte, and all show all days through December 7 as not yet available.
2PM wednesday prior to the week in question is when week-of reservations open up. 1PM for the opening of the waiting room.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just tried to make "week of" reservations at Vail for a couple of days next week. But, all such days, in fact all days next week, are blocked off as not yet available.
Makes no sense so tried to call Epic Pass, and cannot even get put on hold. Recording simply says call back later. WTF kind of system is this, when you follow all the rules and can't accomplish your goal or even get a simple explanation?
Also tried Beaver Creek, Keystone and Crested Butte, and all show all days through December 7 as not yet available.

The missing info I think you need is

1) the batch of reservations releases weds yes, but the detsils on the timing was waiting queue changes to a waiting room at 1pm mst and then released at 2pm mst (randomizing the order of users in the room)

2. Last week batch only they included already extra out-of-schedule days for thanksgiving,

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am guessing that Vail is limiting capacity this early in the season due to the number of chairlifts and lodges that are actually open. Once more terrain is open, I *assume* that more spots will be available.

If you really wanted Thanksgiving, you should have reserved it with one of your priority days.

Personally, I am not going to plan travel until I have reservations set for the time I will be at the resort.

I am also not surprised there are lots of complaints on the interwebz and a number of people 'surprised' by the reservation system... you can't fix stupid.

Yep

Another thing everyone should keep in mind is that both Breck and Keystone had additional capacity restrictions put on them that went into effect today. They had to scramble and only a couple of days to work it out. Not an apologist for them just saying probably not easy for them either.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Timberline Lodge in Oregon just abandoned its reservation system due to initial complaints for the pre-Thanksgiving reservations. They now will let the parking lot capacity limit the number of skiers to what they feel is an acceptable level for the capacity of the ski area. For weekend/holiday skiing this means leaving plenty early to make sure you're in the lot by 0830 max. I usually get there at 0800

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/mountain/ski-area-reservations

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Seldomski: hope you're not suggesting I'm being stupid. I'm simply following the rules laid out by VR (which require a reasonably high degree of reading comprehension:ogbiggrin:) as to how to make "early season" reservations; unfortunately, VR is not following them precisely themselves. A friend did penetrate the VR phone system and talked to a rep who advises that when VR said early season reservations would open up on Wednesdays for the following week, they really meant after 2 pm MT on Wednesdays.
And, to your Thanksgiving point, and perhaps I'm being stupid here, my understanding is that priority reservations are available only for the "core" season, which commences December 8.
I'm sure you're correct that VR is limited capacity, and hence the reservable spots, early in season between the lack of snow and state capacity restrictions.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Vail / BC announced they now have a reservation system for on mountain dining as well.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yep

Another thing everyone should keep in mind is that both Breck and Keystone had additional capacity restrictions put on them that went into effect today. They had to scramble and only a couple of days to work it out. Not an apologist for them just saying probably not easy for them either.

Yeah how will that work when they have people that made the reservations well in advance and when they get there the capacity is reduced. Code Purple seems inevitable at this point.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
@Seldomski: hope you're not suggesting I'm being stupid. I'm simply following the rules laid out by VR (which require a reasonably high degree of reading comprehension:ogbiggrin:) as to how to make "early season" reservations; unfortunately, VR is not following them precisely themselves. A friend did penetrate the VR phone system and talked to a rep who advises that when VR said early season reservations would open up on Wednesdays for the following week, they really meant after 2 pm MT on Wednesdays.
And, to your Thanksgiving point, and perhaps I'm being stupid here, my understanding is that priority reservations are available only for the "core" season, which commences December 8.
I'm sure you're correct that VR is limited capacity, and hence the reservable spots, early in season between the lack of snow and state capacity restrictions.

You are correct, I missed that you cannot actually make a core season reservation for Thanksgiving. So my interpretation of the reservation rules was that it would be faulty to assume you would have guaranteed mountain access for dates outside of core season. Likewise, any access outside of priority reservations is also not guaranteed.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
My advice, on Wed, try to get in the waiting room at 1:00sh MT (just before 2:00) so you can randomly be assigned a spot in line at 2:00. To increase your odds, I would join the waiting room on as many internet connected devices as you can. Once you get your assigned places in line, stick with the lowest number place in line and close out the other devices. This works because you don't actually log into your account until it is your turn in line

I know it seems shady, but this is the only way my wife and I have figured out to get week of reservations in CO so far this year. Random places in line in the same session on various devices has resulted in spots in the hundreds to a spots in the 60,000s.

If you can't get online on Wed a little before 2:00, well then you are screwed and you don't get to ski until the core season, even though your $1,200 pass supposedly granted you "exclusive" early season access.

Last edited:

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Sorry if this was already addressed as I didn’t go through the entire thread.

Has anyone successfully cancelled a reservation yet? My reservations are supposed to be in my account but I don’t see the there. I’d like to cancel reservations I already made so I can replace them at another mountain.

Where exactly do I find my reservations?

Thanks.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
So I cancelled three out of my seven days. Looks like I can only fill those three days with week of reservations even though the days I’m actually looking to book are available. Can we only make week of reservations from this point on?

It’s saying maximum reservations exceeded when I try and book more than a week out even though I just cancelled three of my seven days.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I cancelled three out of my seven days. Looks like I can only fill those three days with week of reservations even though the days I’m actually looking to book are available. Can we only make week of reservations from this point on?

It’s saying maximum reservations exceeded when I try and book more than a week out even though I just cancelled three of my seven days.
I don’t have an Epic pass but I did read through all the rules, and what you are experiencing doesn’t seem right.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier

I don’t have an Epic pass but I did read through all the rules, and what you are experiencing doesn’t seem right.

I think they may be scrambling right now to keep up with the changing rules in CO.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

That does NOT sound right. I'd look deeper if I were you.

*I am not at spokesman for Vail Resorts. Anyting shared here is base on my own experience and opinion. (But it really doesn't sound right.)

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
It’s working correctly now. After logging out and waiting about 30 min or so...

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Colorado is really clamping down right now so I agree their system might not be quite up to speed.

To VR's credit, I am very impressed with how hard they are trying to make things safe as possible. They are enforcing social distancing, not mixing parties, and most impressive, I saw a gold jacket chase a group down for having their masks off while skiing. If the governor shuts the season down here it won't be because the resorts didn't try their best to make it work.

TDCSPRINGS

Getting off the lift
Skier
Wait, they require face covering while actually skiing? I won't do that. Sure: In the lodge or in the lift maze. But while actually skiing? No thanks.
This is the first time I saw it enforced. I think it's because the group was stopped in a group with masks off in the middle of the run. They started riding again and the gold jacket chased them down to tell the whole group to put masks on.

It's really not a issue having a mask on. I have always worn a good that covers my face on cold days, now I just get to wear it every day I ski.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Stopping as a group too closely on slopes without a mask on was likely the issue. There's no logic to resorts requesting wearing masks while skiing that is also why there are no policies for such for hiking, jogging, running or cycling. Tuesday I skied bumps 6 runs of 1k vertical. One run tried wearing a standard thin surgical mask and though that was fine cruising down a groomed run, it caused oxygen deprivation in bumps.

Sponsor

Staff online