• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Any cardiologist in the house? Atrial Flutter content.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Phil, I have a story for you that you might find entertaining. A friend here in Bend, national class skier, doctor, all round athlete was participating in various cross county races, and suffering from increasingly common atrial fib. He contacted all the best cardio types, and they thought they could fix it with an ablation. The catch was, they needed an EKG of an actual event, and no amount of treadmill, on snow tests, nothing could trigger one. Without the EKG the chances of successful ablation were slim. He finally reviewed all the events and found the common factor was it had to be actual race conditions, high altitude, with caffeine consumption. He hatched a plan.

He flew down to Reno, and went up to Royal Gorge for the California Gold Rush, a prominent ski marathon. He carried a portable EKG unit in a fanny pack, and wore nothing but electrodes under his lycra suit. He warmed up with three cups of coffee. The gun went off, and he took off like a bat out of hell. No atrial fib showed up , but he was flying, demolishing everyone in his age class, hanging with skiers he had never skied with before. Then it hit.

He fell gasping to the snow, and struggled to get his top off. Course workers and some patrol gathered round, trying to help. "no leave me alone, I'm a doctor" he croaked out somewhat deliriously. They stepped back and watched the strange spectacle of a topless racer lying in the snow, apparently dying with wires all over him. He managed to wire up the machine and got a good record of the event, as he finally got back his breath and watched the best XC result of his life fade down the trail. He was sorry to to see the race end that way, but when his cardiologist saw the data, he was pleased "90% chance we'll nail this now".

He had the surgery. fixed the problem. Married a hot new wife that summer and danced the whole night. Hasn't seen an atrial fib episode since.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He had the surgery. fixed the problem. Married a hot new wife that summer and danced the whole night. Hasn't seen an atrial fib episode since.
I was with you the entire post until you said hot new wife.
;)

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I was with you the entire post until you said hot new wife.
;)

To seal the 'holes' find some Bee Propolis- no bacteria can live in propolis and it heals wounds super fast!
I get it from Swanson Vitamins.

Glad Phil's on the mend!!

1616065358611.png

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Phil, I have a story for you that you might find entertaining. A friend here in Bend, national class skier, doctor, all round athlete was participating in various cross county races, and suffering from increasingly common atrial fib. He contacted all the best cardio types, and they thought they could fix it with an ablation. The catch was, they needed an EKG of an actual event, and no amount of treadmill, on snow tests, nothing could trigger one. Without the EKG the chances of successful ablation were slim. He finally reviewed all the events and found the common factor was it had to be actual race conditions, high altitude, with caffeine consumption. He hatched a plan.

He flew down to Reno, and went up to Royal Gorge for the California Gold Rush, a prominent ski marathon. He carried a portable EKG unit in a fanny pack, and wore nothing but electrodes under his lycra suit. He warmed up with three cups of coffee. The gun went off, and he took off like a bat out of hell. No atrial fib showed up , but he was flying, demolishing everyone in his age class, hanging with skiers he had never skied with before. Then it hit.

He fell gasping to the snow, and struggled to get his top off. Course workers and some patrol gathered round, trying to help. "no leave me alone, I'm a doctor" he croaked out somewhat deliriously. They stepped back and watched the strange spectacle of a topless racer lying in the snow, apparently dying with wires all over him. He managed to wire up the machine and got a good record of the event, as he finally got back his breath and watched the best XC result of his life fade down the trail. He was sorry to to see the race end that way, but when his cardiologist saw the data, he was pleased "90% chance we'll nail this now".

Dictionary entry for "Don't Try This At Home" LOL

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I checked my Apple watch and sure enough my heartbeat was about 150-155.

Phil, have thought about setting up the high (and low) heart rate alerts on your Apple watch?

Might be easier to diagnose triggers if closer to the beginning of an event.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, have thought about setting up the high (and low) heart rate alerts on your Apple watch?

Might be easier to diagnose triggers if closer to the beginning of an event.
I do have it set. Thanks.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Almost a week now, so how you doin' Phil?
Feeing really good. Incisions are healing nice, I think I if the weather looks nice I am going to try to make some turns today. It will still be a couple of days before I hit the hot tub.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And thanks everyone here for checking into this thread, the PM's with advice and experiences and just the endless support making sure that I will be OK. The past six months have been medically challenging for @Tricia, with her cancer, and myself and having a community around us like everyone here, has made it bearable. Again, thank you.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, I was back on snow today and I all felt fine as I fumbled through the morning trying to remember how to ski again. No pain or discomfort from the incisions and no anxiety felt at any point even in the flat light when we were skiing in a milk bottle.

Again. thank you all for the support and well wishes. I really think I am out of the woods with this heart flutter thing. Fingers crossed.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well, I was back on snow today and I all felt fine as I fumbled through the morning trying to remember how to ski again. No pain or discomfort from the incisions and no anxiety felt at any point even in the flat light when we were skiing in a milk bottle.

Again. thank you all for the support and well wishes. I really think I am out of the woods with this heart flutter thing. Fingers crossed.

Awesome that you are back at it!

Sponsor

Staff online