• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aspen 2021 - Unofficial, socially-distanced, stay-safe, non-Gathering, February 27th - March 6th

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
If any of you see a guy with a black jacket, olive green pants and skiing on Blossom Cross Winds, that would be me, I have never seen another person at Snowmass or Aspen Mt on Blosssom skis. I know the mountain (Snowmass) pretty well and would be happy to show you around.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If any of you see a guy with a black jacket, olive green pants and skiing on Blossom Cross Winds, that would be me, I have never seen another person at Snowmass or Aspen Mt on Blosssom skis. I know the mountain (Snowmass) pretty well and would be happy to show you around.
It would be great to meet up for some turns! PM coming...

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Met up with a few other Ski Talkers at Snowmass today... @Scotty I., @AeroSKI5150, and @NeillST...

It was a great day - hit every major lift except Two Creeks, skied 25K vert (racked up a bunch trying to keep up with @Scotty I.). Lost Scotty L. toward the end of the day, unfortunately, but had a nice après under the heat lamps...

Missy, @AeroSKI5150, Katie, and @NeillST
20210301_165630 ACR Conv.jpg

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Met up with a few other Ski Talkers at Snowmass today... @Scotty I., @AeroSKI5150, and @NeillST...

It was a great day - hit every major lift except Two Creeks, skied 25K vert (racked up a bunch trying to keep up with @Scotty I.). Lost Scotty L. toward the end of the day, unfortunately, but had a nice après under the heat lamps...

View attachment 126277
If you want to hit Two Creeks, go to the top of the Elk Camp chair and hike to the top of Long Shot. Long Shot is the longest run at all of Aspen/Snowmass. It's a blue ungroomed (usually) run with a fair number of moderate bumps. If you are unafraid of ungroomed black terrain, you can ski Burnt Mountain Glade at the top -- it rejoins Long Shot near the bottom. The view from the top of Long Shot is pretty awesome...

I'm teaching tomorrow morning otherwise I'd offer to meet up for some guided skiing. But if my back is holding up, perhaps after 1 I could meet for a few runs...

Mike

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want to hit Two Creeks, go to the top of the Elk Camp chair and hike to the top of Long Shot. Long Shot is the longest run at all of Aspen/Snowmass. It's a blue ungroomed (usually) run with a fair number of moderate bumps. If you are unafraid of ungroomed black terrain, you can ski Burnt Mountain Glade at the top -- it rejoins Long Shot near the bottom. The view from the top of Long Shot is pretty awesome...

I'm teaching tomorrow morning otherwise I'd offer to meet up for some guided skiing. But if my back is holding up, perhaps after 1 I could meet for a few runs...

Mike
I think we'll actually be over at Highlands tomorrow... but thanks for the offer! :) Hope your back is feeling OK.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you know your way around Highlands? If not, what kind of terrain are you comfortable with and desire to ski?
I know my way around Highlands OK... not planning on the bowl or Temerity... I'm OK with easier ungroomed blacks, but not that.

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 126277
Did you ski Big Burn?
That space for me as an eastern skier requires some brain adjustment. Then you go by the first lone tree going much faster than you thought. I remember the first time thinking I was glad I didn’t intend to slalom it because I’d probably misjudge the speed and hit it.

For some reason I have no issues other than pitch with Highland Bowl, but the space of Big Burn kind of freaks me out the first couple of times. Too much space! Eeek, make it stop!

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you ski Big Burn?
That space for me as an eastern skier requires some brain adjustment. Then you go by the first lone tree going much faster than you thought. I remember the first time thinking I was glad I didn’t intend to slalom it because I’d probably misjudge the speed and hit it.

For some reason I have no issues other than pitch with Highland Bowl, but the space of Big Burn kind of freaks me out the first couple of times. Too much space! Eeek, make it stop!
Lol... Yeah, I skied Big Burn a bunch yesterday and some today. The trick is to go where the trees are a little denser. ;) But really... the wide open runs don't freak me out. They're all over the place at Snowmass...Sheer Bliss and Big Burn the most for sure (see my Sheer Bliss pic earlier in this thread), but there are some wide open spots off Elk Camp and Alpine Springs too.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I know my way around Highlands OK... not planning on the bowl or Temerity... I'm OK with easier ungroomed blacks, but not that.
Suzy Q and Upper Stein were skiing quite well yesterday. While Boomerang was skiing great as well, it's sun exposure probably set a suncrust for tomorrow. Cloud 9 has bagged the late drunk-fest seating for this season, so if you'd like to have a nice, but expensive, lunch you might go for that. It's definitely one of the best views anywhere for lunch on a clear day, as tomorrow is forecast to be.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Suzy Q and Upper Stein were skiing quite well yesterday. While Boomerang was skiing great as well, it's sun exposure probably set a suncrust for tomorrow. Cloud 9 has bagged the late drunk-fest seating for this season, so if you'd like to have a nice, but expensive, lunch you might go for that. It's definitely one of the best views anywhere for lunch on a clear day, as tomorrow is forecast to be.

Raclette on the deck there (prior to the junk show) is one of my favorite things, sadly missed this season, but there is always April.......maybe.......

on a nice day is hard to beat.

not raclette, just the start of cheese and meats:

F6075C0F-1580-44DC-9144-D36AC890DDE8.jpeg

Last edited:

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
crap I miss skiing - had many happy laps around Campground and Big Burn farming windbuff last January

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd also say that's the normal crowd for a weekday.
I don't think we waited behind more than 2 people all day today... and usually it was ski right on. Snow was OK... I did ski Suzy-Q twice, though it's getting scraped off in places and the sun and warm weather are taking their bit of toll. It was a bit of a challenge for me, but good.

The groomers were still very nice - soft and trench-able in a lot of places. But it got pretty warm today - might be a little crunchy tomorrow morning. Hopefully the 4-6" on Thursday materializes to freshen things up.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m skiing highlands tomorrow in a lesson..,
I think we'll be at Aspen Mountain. I suppose our schedules are very out of sync. :nono: :ogbiggrin: Have fun at Highlands and hope your student tips well!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January