• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Bucket List Western Ski Trip advice

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
So, the old man took up skiing 5 years ago or so and is turning 77. He's never been west of the Mississippi save for his flight through SF on the way to Vietnam. He's got some travelphobia, mostly just grumpy old man-ness, but I may have finally gotten him to agree to a ski trip out west. It's likely the only trip I'll ever get him on.

Our current target is Park City, early March. We're flexible, though. Relevant facts:

1. Epic military/veteran pass locations, so Vail owned only. He's a cheapskate and won't buy lift tickets somewhere else when "he's got a perfectly good pass" already. I get it, a once in a lifetime trip might engender other destinations, but this is a non-negotiable. He is who he is.

2. He's 77. He's in good shape and can ski all day, but still 77 and all the usual associated issues. He's never been at altitude and I am hesitant to push it if I can help it. A base above 8k has me nervous. Also, plentiful bathrooms are a plus.

3. He's a good, but not expert skier. 3D snow can give him trouble, but he can negotiate bumps and what not as long as it doesn't require fast reflexes. He aspires to ski trees but isn't there yet. Wide open western trees might be fine. I have no idea how he will handle powder, he's never skied it before. He can take care of himself on pretty much any flat surface, regardless of ice or steepness. Bonus points for places where I can ski something epic and he can take a different route down and meet me at a junction.

4. We're meeting my brother in law there, he lives in SoCal. We're up in VT. Travel time is a factor as we have around 4-5 days, a week at most. Anyplace you can get to fast (direct flight) from NYC or LA will be helpful. Dad does not travel well, did I mention that?

5. Finally, it's got to be majestic. I swear, the man gets misty eyed just talking about western mountains he's never seen. I want to take him to see his dream.

We aren't made of money, but we aren't poor, either. Let me put it this way. I drive a Kia, but it's new.

So, let fly with the opinions! Park City a good plan? Somewhere else? Somewhen else? Anybody want to play tour guide?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Park City sounds like a good place for you guys. Have fun!

Try to avoid school vacation weeks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd suggest to the VR mothership, aka Vail/breck/beaver creek-maybe staying in Breck? If it's a bucket trip with enough time to visit multiple resorts.
Or Whistler instead for single resort; if you are able to navigate the CAN border thing with the pandemic. Peak to Peak gondola is really something and FREE...

ParkCity is fine if you only have time/interest to see 1 resort...but SLC is more of the Ikonpass homebase with the Cottonwoods resorts more stunning than park city. It feels more like a bronze medal.

On the elevation, if you're forced to ski and stay at park city rather than the SLC suburbs, you're still at 7000feet so that's still at elevation and not too much lower than the CO resorts; whistler much lower.

I think the suggestions above have more to offer for the single Epicpass trip.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Try to avoid school vacation weeks.
The OP knows when the New England weeks are. Even in Utah, there are enough of us to matter.
Googling, Utah School Vacation:
SLC is 28 Mar - 1 Apr. Some other Utah school districts are the week after, in April.
California, Texas are probably worth checking and avoiding, too.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
maybe staying in Brek
I wouldn't sleep in Breckenridge if you are worried about altitude. It's one of the higher ones. Even a few hundred feet can make a difference. Skiing Breck is probably ok if you stay slightly lower.

I wouldn't send a once-in-a-lifetimer to Whistler even though I loved our trip there. Too much whiteout risk, and a long drive from the airport.

It's been decades since I went to Park City, but I think it matches the OP's parameters pretty well. I get a kick out of the town lift (even though it doesn't serve much great skiing) if Dad likes that kind of thing.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn't sleep in Breckenridge if you are worried about altitude. It's one of the higher ones. Even a few hundred feet can make a difference. Skiing Breck is probably ok if you stay slightly lower.

I wouldn't send a once-in-a-lifetimer to Whistler even though I loved our trip there. Too much whiteout risk, and a long drive from the airport.

It's been decades since I went to Park City, but I think it matches the OP's parameters pretty well. I get a kick out of the town lift (even though it doesn't serve much great skiing) if Dad likes that kind of thing.
For Brek, fair points on brek elevation.

For whistler, yea you could get unlucky with the weather perhaps more than the other places; or it might be clear.
You can book shuttle which takes away any concerns about driving; and the whistler drive itself is scenic on a clear day so that's not necessarily a negative. If you have time to stay even a halfday in Vancouver that's a potential add-on and waterfront is also scenic. The CAN/USD exchange rate helps you though for the pricing parameter.

It is up to the OP, but my final note on Park city is a bit of a compromise to just go ski some big resort and meet the other parameters, which is fine. But it is just not on most skier's must see/go back to bucket lists.

I suppose my thoughts on CA; Heavenly you will see Lake Tahoe which is stunning, the mountain scenery and terrain might not be quite as unique compared to the others though; but that could be a viable option. Hotels in south lake tahoe can be very affordable.

Last edited:

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't write off the option of flying into Eagle (EGE) and staying in Avon/Edwards, skiing at Beaver Creek, maybe a day or two at Vail. It's likely to require a change-of-planes but that's a whole lot better than the hassle of driving from Denver, or even SLC to PC. Eagle is a nice small airport, short shuttle to Avon.

There are some decent places such as Christie lodge in Avon, short shuttle to the mountain, the ski-in/out options are spendy though. Better to sleep a bit lower elevation anyway when coming from near-sea-level.
Vail typically has at least one groomer off every back bowl lift, just in the bowls and Blue sky there are um, 7, maybe 8 HS quads?- (I've lost track-- Will be skiing there later in the winter, but it's been a few years)--

The scrub-oak-covered hills of Park City just don't do it for me, scenery-wise. Vail and BC have great views of the Gore Range, plus of course those bowls! might be "busy" but not too much worse than PC. Both mountains have less-busy lifts at the edges, and are worth finding.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love this question and I think you and dad will have a great trip where ever you go.
I've been to quite a few of the Epic resorts in the last half dozen years. See three part report, part one starting here with links to parts two and three: https://www.skitalk.com/ams/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-vail-galaxy-of-resorts-part-1-of-3.41/

Here's my two cents: Park City is not as "majestic" as Beaver Creek and/or Vail. Breck is too high. I'd suggest finding a hotel in Avon, CO (elv 7400, not much higher than 7000 of Park City). Look for a hotel in Avon near the base of the River front gondola including everything from a fancy Westin to a nice Days Inn. The elevation is better for sleeping in Avon than at BC village itself and prices much lower. There are plenty of restaurants there too. And it's very easy to drive from Avon for the 20 mins to Vail for a visit.
Park City is a nice place to live and there is some great skiing when you get to know it, but I think Beaver Creek/Vail has more of a wow factor for a vacationer. When you first approach Park City it looks a little like a giant Killington. BC/V doesn't. Beaver Creek is an old skier's dream, including escalators to get around the extremely posh base village. It has tons of wide, scenic and very well groomed intermediate runs. Some of the best are at the highest point on the mtn and thus the most scenic of all. If you can swing a couple day-trips over to Vail the immensity of the back bowls is very impressive and there are easy routes down from all over Vail's layout.

Prior to covid BC was always one of the least crowded of Vail's western resorts.

Posted same time as Tonys and pajarito with much duplication.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I agree re majesticness of Park City v. Vail. But nobody goes to Vail anymore - It's too crowded.

I like the Whistler Blackcomb idea.

Utah is just so damn easy to get to though. And dad being an intermediate Park City had an awful lot of appropriate terrain. Scenery is pretty nice once up on the hill if relatively unimpressive from the town/base.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
You can use your Epic Pass at Snowbasin which is less than 1 hour from Park City.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
I love this question and I think you and dad will have a great trip where ever you go.
I've been to quite a few of the Epic resorts in the last half dozen years. See three part report, part one starting here with links to parts two and three: https://www.skitalk.com/ams/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-vail-galaxy-of-resorts-part-1-of-3.41/

Here's my two cents: Park City is not as "majestic" as Beaver Creek and/or Vail. Breck is too high. I'd suggest finding a hotel in Avon, CO (elv 7400, not much higher than 7000 of Park City). Look for a hotel in Avon near the base of the River front gondola including everything from a fancy Westin to a nice Days Inn. The elevation is better for sleeping in Avon than at BC village itself and prices much lower. There are plenty of restaurants there too. And it's very easy to drive from Avon for the 20 mins to Vail for a visit.
Park City is a nice place to live and there is some great skiing when you get to know it, but I think Beaver Creek/Vail has more of a wow factor for a vacationer. When you first approach Park City it looks a little like a giant Killington. BC/V doesn't. Beaver Creek is an old skier's dream, including escalators to get around the extremely posh base village. It has tons of wide, scenic and very well groomed intermediate runs. Some of the best are at the highest point on the mtn and thus the most scenic of all. If you can swing a couple day-trips over to Vail the immensity of the back bowls is very impressive and there are easy routes down from all over Vail's layout.

Prior to covid BC was always one of the least crowded of Vail's western resorts.

Posted same time as Tonys and pajarito with much duplication.

Came here to post this. I’m going back to Colorado next week (Breck) and haven’t been there for 15 years (beaver creek). 2 years ago in the same 30 day period I hit Banff, Lake Louise, Alta, Snowbird.

Here’s the thing:
  1. SLC - Is incredible skiing but it’s not majestic. If he literally gets teary eyed don’t go there.
  2. Colorado - absolutely majestic, incredible skiing, and plenty of Epic. However, you need to factor in the altitude issue. Others here can recommend better but he will love it.
  3. Tahoe - I’d recommend this right now. Elevation isn’t really an issue, tons of snow, and the if you get a bluebird day looking at tahoe lake (did heavenly 3 years ago) it might be one of the most beautiful views I’ve ever seen or at least tied for it. This is the winner in the US right now.
  4. Banff / LL - I’ll tell you I’ve been to Colorado summer and winter, Jackson Hole in the summer, all beautiful and majestic places. But the mountains around Banff - just beautiful. I wouldn’t recommend going to Canadian at his year but I’d consider those in the future or from what I’ve read Whistler.

Anyway I’d throw Tahoe into Mix. PC is definitely not majestic though.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Park City fits the skiing and traveling requirement to a T. The only slight disappointment is the scenery.

But, coming from the east, maybe it's "majestic" enough. As long as you're not comparing to Colorado, it's good enough to blew him away.

Vail/Beaver Creek is probably the best both skiing and scenery. Miles better than Park City. But it entails a connection to get to Eagle. Only the OP knows how much his old man can take. If you can get him there, he'll be in 9th heaven! Imagine him standing on top looking down the back bowls? He'll cry!

TS
ELDoane

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
So, Vail/BC was my personal first choice. I'm just terrified of the altitude, getting there, and these crowds I hear about. If I knew Dad would be fine at altitude, I think we would go for it. But if I take him all that way just for him to be sick all weekend, it'll break both our hearts.

Can a strong intermediate find fun in the back bowls?

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
When I think US- (epic) Majestic Mts- I think or TELLURIDE
Fly into Montrose. the drive over is spectacular. Great town, Great Mt.

Pre trip altitude prep- lots of water and drink lots of water there- I've been eating ginkgo balboa to help stay oxygenated

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
So, Vail/BC was my personal first choice. I'm just terrified of the altitude, getting there, and these crowds I hear about. If I knew Dad would be fine at altitude, I think we would go for it. But if I take him all that way just for him to be sick all weekend, it'll break both our hearts.

Absolutely, I think he would be fine with most of Vail. My only concern for you is skiing that place on the weekend, busiest resort I have ever been to. Perhaps BC is better though and you could split it up a bit.

Shame Telluride isn't an option with that pass.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Totally! Need to watch the weather though. If it's sun baked, it can be quite tiresome.

So, Vail/BC was my personal first choice. I'm just terrified of the altitude, getting there, and these crowds I hear about.
I guess you haven't heard about the crowds in Park City? Can be quite bad on weekends too. At least at Vail, if the crowds are unbearable, you can escape to Beaver Creek.

If I knew Dad would be fine at altitude, I think we would go for it. But if I take him all that way just for him to be sick all weekend, it'll break both our hearts.
Avon is not much higher than Park City.

Bit of a dilemma your old man don't travel well. Ideally, spend the first time at Eagle, ski Beaver the next day on your way to spend the rest of the days at Vail (or Avon) would make for a more gradual ascension, and would be as safe as it can be wrt altitude sickness.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
So, the old man took up skiing 5 years ago or so and is turning 77. He's never been west of the Mississippi save for his flight through SF on the way to Vietnam. He's got some travelphobia, mostly just grumpy old man-ness, but I may have finally gotten him to agree to a ski trip out west. It's likely the only trip I'll ever get him on.

Our current target is Park City, early March. We're flexible, though. Relevant facts:

1. Epic military/veteran pass locations, so Vail owned only. He's a cheapskate and won't buy lift tickets somewhere else when "he's got a perfectly good pass" already. I get it, a once in a lifetime trip might engender other destinations, but this is a non-negotiable. He is who he is.

2. He's 77. He's in good shape and can ski all day, but still 77 and all the usual associated issues. He's never been at altitude and I am hesitant to push it if I can help it. A base above 8k has me nervous. Also, plentiful bathrooms are a plus.

3. He's a good, but not expert skier. 3D snow can give him trouble, but he can negotiate bumps and what not as long as it doesn't require fast reflexes. He aspires to ski trees but isn't there yet. Wide open western trees might be fine. I have no idea how he will handle powder, he's never skied it before. He can take care of himself on pretty much any flat surface, regardless of ice or steepness. Bonus points for places where I can ski something epic and he can take a different route down and meet me at a junction.

4. We're meeting my brother in law there, he lives in SoCal. We're up in VT. Travel time is a factor as we have around 4-5 days, a week at most. Anyplace you can get to fast (direct flight) from NYC or LA will be helpful. Dad does not travel well, did I mention that?

5. Finally, it's got to be majestic. I swear, the man gets misty eyed just talking about western mountains he's never seen. I want to take him to see his dream.

We aren't made of money, but we aren't poor, either. Let me put it this way. I drive a Kia, but it's new.

So, let fly with the opinions! Park City a good plan? Somewhere else? Somewhen else? Anybody want to play tour guide?
6F0A7474-20D8-4218-BDFF-26703BF3673F.jpeg
Yep, Vail is always crowded.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier

Any reason you can’t ski weekdays? I only take my trips west in the weekdays. May as well if I’m flying/gone for a few days. Should be fine in any of the resorts and Park City or other resorts can be just as bad on weekends At Colorado.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’d say Summit County/Eagle County CO, hands down.

lots of variety, you can ski a bunch of resorts including Vail//BC, some of the towns of these places are top notch. Great dining, bars etc. plus top notch/world class medical care is available, god forbid. Scenery is fantastic, you can literally ski the continental divide.

Also, seeing the Eisenhower Tunnel, Not too far down the road Glenwood canyon and hot springs. I’d take a rest day off from skiing and see the sites as well (hit up the hot springs!)

Time the trip well and it will be a blast.

also if alt is a concern, try to get in a day early and overnight in Denver or Idaho Springs to aclimate.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online