• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Continuing to ski hard while aging gracefully??

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@chris_the_wrench - yep thanks for the chuckles, but what you're experiencing is real. I remember very clearly crossing the 40 mark and doing just what @KingGrump cautioned you about; thinking that you can just keep doing everything at the same speed and level as when you were younger. I was a fool and ended up shattering my right leg. I should have been listening more to my body and understanding the limitations that were creeping in.

My advice is that whatever you do, you must maintain/increase your overall strength. It's easier to maintain your strength than get it back. I have learned that lesson the hard way. Sure you need some flexibility and cardio, but there is no substitute for having shear brute strength available in spades. Strength can help you avoid future injury in a multitude of ways. The biggest thing I've seen as my parents have aged is the loss of strength that really impacts the quality of their lives. That's why I am so focused these days on doing everything I can to increase my strength across every body part.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
At 61 I find cruiser groomers much more enjoyable. My advice for fitness is maintain flexibility and keep up with core strength. Stretch, stretch, stretch.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So far I have not seen anyone address the key point in keeping you skiing more as you age. It's nothing to do with your own body/mind - the biggest thing to maximizing ski time, if you are married, will be keeping your partner capable of and still interested in skiing.

Dude, those are like ear plugs. Your body is trying to tell you something and you decided to put it on mute. Not a good thing.

This.

About the only good reason for taking anti-inflamatory / pain suppression to ski is toothache. And only if the dental appointment is late in the day.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
That's why I am so focused these days on doing everything I can to increase my strength across every body part.

What's your strength building routine? Im not a gym person. Im looking for solutions I can do in my garage/driveway with minimal equipment.

Thanks again to all for the input. Only had time to ski 2+ hours today. Planned on cruising groomers today to give my body a break, that lasted two runs before I was chasing some young guns through the bumps. I'm my own worse enemy!

-Chris

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My advice is that whatever you do, you must maintain/increase your overall strength. It's easier to maintain your strength than get it back. I have learned that lesson the hard way. Sure you need some flexibility and cardio, but there is no substitute for having shear brute strength available in spades. Strength can help you avoid future injury in a multitude of ways. The biggest thing I've seen as my parents have aged is the loss of strength that really impacts the quality of their lives. That's why I am so focused these days on doing everything I can to increase my strength across every body part.
Yup...............
No idea where I heard it or read it, but I remember a quote from an older woman who said the the key to staying strong was "lifting heavy stuff every day".

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So far I have not seen anyone address the key point in keeping you skiing more as you age. It's nothing to do with your own body/mind - the biggest thing to maximizing ski time, if you are married, will be keeping your partner capable of and still interested in skiing.
I'm very lucky in that my wife (who started me skiing) is still a good fairly aggressive skier.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What's your strength building routine? Im not a gym person. Im looking for solutions I can do in my garage/driveway with minimal equipment.

Thanks again to all for the input. Only had time to ski 2+ hours today. Planned on cruising groomers today to give my body a break, that lasted two runs before I was chasing some young guns through the bumps. I'm my own worse enemy!

-Chris

Well Santa just brought me the TRX Pro4 Suspension workout system. That's a solution for people not wanting to invest in a bunch of heavy equipment or machines. I also have the Bowflex bench and their adjustable dumbbells. The heavy version of the dumbbells are expensive though. :geek:

I like having the options in my house to reduce the "excuses" for not getting a workout in.

Edit P.S. - I almost forgot the most important part. I read the book "Body by Science" about 5 years ago. I have found that protocol to be the most effective and time efficient solution for truly building real strength.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry for long wait. I know I promised you a reply. Took a while to get off the floor. Them Life Alert guys are running slow today. :nono:

I see all the advice on what and how to stay strong. All good advices. However, they missed the most important body part you should focus on. I'll give you a hint.

View attachment 120217

The way you describe your skiing. It sounds like you are having a cage match in the octagon with Mr. Gravity and Mother Nature. You have your hands full but holding them off OK. Then Father Time comes up behind you and pancakes you with the ubiquitous metal chair.

You are asking the choir what you have to do to beat them. They gave you the right answer to your question. Get stronger.
The real crux of the matter is your didn't ask the right question. The right question is "Why do I have to be in the octagon in a three on one beat down?" Just to be clear, you are the "one." The right question is "Why can't we bring the disco ball and dance?" Yup, dance.

Fix your head and the rest will fall into place.

A good reference for the journey.

View attachment 120221

Please note soft skiing doesn't mean dumbing it down. It means stop beating yourself up.

Dude, those are like ear plugs. Your body is trying to tell you something and you decided to put it on mute. Not a good thing.

Imma go ahead, print this post and pin it to the wall above my bed. No truer words have ever been spoken.

Or as Yoda would put it: Powerful message is this, yeah...powerful message....

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Imma go ahead, print this post and pin it to the wall above my bed. No truer words have ever been spoken.

Or as Yoda would put it: Powerful message is this, yeah...powerful message....

Come to the Taos gathering next year. Never too young to start. We'll all do Al's Run non-stop and I'll buy the beer. :beercheer:

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
At 60 years now. I didn't notice getting old, but I did notice injury (lots of 'em), and in retrospect, disease (undiagnosed diabetes), taking their toll over the years. About the only thing I did notice is that injuries began to take a little longer to heal at 40 years, and also longer than that at 50.

So what to do? Don't get injured (and get your blood sugar tested)!

Last edited:

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Welp, I could write a book. No, maybe a pamphlet. How about a 1 page .pdf. My secret is 1/2 of a hydrocodone/ibuprofen at ski day lunchtime. Mind you, it's more for the constipation effect than any analgesic properties.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Obviously genetics is a significant factor in aging rates and my experience is too unusual for use as an example. I'm nearly 3 decades older and though parts of my body have aged like other people, most of my body has aged unusually slowly maybe due to long teleomeres. Use it or lose it becomes more important. I'm an old backpacker that carries ridiculously heavy weight though keep distances modest. Also have fast reactions have regularly exercised. Things like walking a mile at max speed or hiking cross country at high speed.

Permanent neuromusculoskelectal structure via neural plasticity develops through ones life that needs at least occasional activity to be usable lest it degenerate. That was why on my first day skiing this winter on my third run, first bump run, I was able to non-stop ski an 800 foot vertical fall line like I'd been doing it all week. In other words, due to repitition over decades it is permanent.

Have tended to have slack days between activity so not one active daily, especially before retiring due to demanding mental workweek with little physical efforts between very active weekends. Also lazy about long term regular exercise. Try to not overstress muscles being sensitive to stopping whatever at microtear levels. An attitude of continuing to ski hard may be a formula for an early retirement to the rocking chair.

In your case, you may be wearing down your body due to regularly going beyond microtear levels that accumulates modified repair tissue structure over years that has been no chance of working as well as when you were young.

You are totally right about this.
As you age, your recovery time from heavy exercise slows a lot.
If you don't allow enough recovery time you cannot make progress or even maintain.
I used to be able to lift every day, now, every other day is a challenge.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The things I haven't read are @ 59 yo: Yoga, Pilates, Yoga and more Pilates...... oh that was already said! LOL

Lighter skis w/ no metal or less metal - Lighter wgt to turn all day

Shorten the turn radius on the skis you buy = reduced effort (barring perfect technique at every turn)

Buy recent Rockered Non-Race skis - That allows you to turn and fully pivot at lower speeds w/ much less energy. The new skis will up your game immensely. You will sacrifice a little grip on ice but who wants to ski ice anyway at our age. If it's icy at the slopes I xc ski at home.

Slow Speed Drill, Drill, Drill, include spins and learning switch - Will enhance your finesse and allow you to engage proprioception much more efficiently. This will level you up when you do decide to crank it w/ the Crew.

Take "Beginner" Dance - Any kind of dance. They are the absolute "Movement" experts and can hone in on your weak spots in a millisecond.

Enjoy!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Step 1 ... Convince them you're a bunch of old, slow geezers ... Completed

Step 2 ... Invite them to a Gathering

Step 3 ... Ski them into the ground

1610057071980.png

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot of fun laughs here. 43 is getting up there for sure. Avatar pic is me when I was younger, last year at only 77yrs. I recovered from this powder day by having a beer with my powder partner Jeff (50's) who took the picture. Of course I have had my share of injuries and my right knee says don't ski all day unless you plan on taking the next day off. As for my age almost 79yrs would have to list these as keys:

1. stretching and core work, use a lot of yoga moves. Almost every day and every morning I stretch on my mat on living room floor.

2. My general fight against aging is to - KEEP MOVING- I still do a lot of stuff myself just because I can.

3. Can you ski relaxed, i.e. last part down to chair, lodge etc. Can you ski relaxed down a trail or road, at speed, on a traverse or any easier part of the mt. ? Being able to do this (really do this) will save your quads.

4. I don't COMBAT the mountain but try to flow more than outmuscle the lines.

I guess some would say that I am giving in to old age but I look at it differently. Some times, some places I am the oldest guy out there really skiing and personally am very proud of that fact. When I am 80 it will be free season pass time, but maybe I will go Cat skiing instead for the 5th time. Or maybe hit my local hill that I know so well and when Covid is done I will have a beer in the lodge bar at the end of the day.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid