• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong recent mogul vids

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^ Fake bumps. Probably created by aliens. ;)

Aliens maybe..... maybe not.

As a side, IMO, biggest influence US gave to South Korea is hip hop dance/music and competition mogul skiing. IMO, some really great skills and techniques in terms of A&E and weight transfer. As for other topics, I try to live in a judgment free zone so I will let it go as that.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @KingGrump , she says Taos is her second favorite ski area...

If they are willing to change the Armstrong Express to Grump Express. I am perfectly amenable to altering my favorite resort preference. :ogcool:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Again, who is not in love with Deb Armstrong?

I do not know much about this lady, but a thing from one of her videos stuck in my mind as I have never heard anything like that in any other instructional video.
She was teaching two kids in some steep ass terrain somewhere at Taos and she was like: "No sideslipping! Sideslipping takes all the snow for other people".

Absolute ace!

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Probably too much thread drift, but here it is Tony, This is the pole plant short turn that I teach to intermediates:

Downhill hand reach, downhill ski tail up, jump from uphill ski down the hill, tip carve to edge set to stop.
One at a time at first, then calligraphy drawing round lines with the downhill ski and then linking the lines:

1616859659046.png

Hogan nails it starting at 4:06:

BTW I will add the CSIA Level 4-Toddler's description "I am making lines in the snow. . ." to my instruction.

This thread is in the Ski School subforum after all.

Attachments

• 1616859235900.png
    1616859235900.png
    170.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Anyone want to comment on how the dramatic lead change he displays is working in these turns?

Honestly, I find that horrifying. A giant WTF. I feel like if someone that wasn't a US Ski Team moguls guy suggested any of what is shown in the video I'd think he's crazy. I think if you said and demoed that at a PSIA L3 exam you'd be going home disappointed. But the guy is a US Ski Team member who certainly skis bumps better than me. I played around with it a bit today and... I don't get it. Maybe I need to move to Bizzarro World to understand it.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
You mean like this lead change here:

1616882495472.png

Nothing this guy does is horrifying. It is not the technique I am personally interested in discussing, but is a technique which is accessible to mere mortals. Notice he also suggests a big foot to foot movement.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
You mean like this lead change here:

View attachment 129568
Nothing this guy does is horrifying. It is not the technique I am personally interested in discussing, but is a technique which is available to mere mortals. Notice he also suggests a big foot to foot movement.

That's one turn from a stand still. I don't see a giant lead change when he is skiing at speed at 1:12. Also I'm not saying Bobby is wrong, I'm just saying it is jaw-droopingly different to me.

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Honestly, I find that horrifying. A giant WTF. I feel like if someone that wasn't a US Ski Team moguls guy suggested any of what is shown in the video I'd think he's crazy. I think if you said and demoed that at a PSIA L3 exam you'd be going home disappointed. But the guy is a US Ski Team member who certainly skis bumps better than me. I played around with it a bit today and... I don't get it. Maybe I need to move to Bizzarro World to understand it.

I agree the lead change looks dramatic. What's causing this is his boot setup has a lot of flex. He almost looks like a telemark skier, The point of the drill is to weight that outside ski and get the knee of that weighted leg behind the knee of lead leg. As mentioned, doing this without pushing that inside hip further out. The amount of lead change is irrelevant since the goal is to promote weighting that outside leg.

Look at Sergie, his boot lean is really forward, when he does that drill, his lead foot does get out there.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Come on out to the Boat'. Bobby skis the mountain all the time as does Deb.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
One thing I see looking at skiing videos including youtube, is a whole lot were taken in mediocre light, that resulted in mediocre image detail. Especially those shot on variably cloudy flat light days. Deb and Bobby are really just bragging about how they filmed that stuff with an apt layer of fresh light powder (Champaign flavor of course) and it was still cloudy so who cares?

Friday at Heavenly began at 9:30am, a windy easterly Great Basin NE quadrant back flow 27F at Stagecoach lower lot 7500 feet with cloud snow and colder above. After 2 runs down Stagecoach groomed, sacrificed maybe 40 minutes to go back to my Forester. Added warm layers for both tops and bottoms. Was already wearing my warmest gloves and a thin balaclava under my helmet that seconds as a mask for this 2 Phizer and done senior. Back up, did 2 POV GoPro runs down the drifting fall line Stagecoach lift line bumps (top 9020 feet bottom 8320 feet). My comment here worth noting for those doing videos, is there at 12:30 PDT on March 26, 2021, given the slope orientation of 23 degrees east of due north or 67 degrees north of due east, sun altitude at this latitude, my cast shadow during a sunny descent as clouds cleared, was optimal for capturing my shadowed form plus variable ski shovel and hands, as I descended the slope. You folks are going to see something of value video wise that will surprise everyone.

Now back home over the next few days have Premiere 2021 work to do processing 3 days of videos. Also California poppies are blazing along vibrant green SR49 at Butte Canyon also nextdoor Electra Road both along the Mokelumne River. (Sinuses and nose hours later still smells fragrance of orange poppies!) So as the only person that has climbed the topo 810 gully so far this year given no vegetation tracks, up to the most intense patch. On my A6000, used my 19mm APS-C lens to make a 2 column vertical orientation stitch that also focus stacked despite a variable light breeze.

Last edited:

Sponsor