• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Everything you need to know about the new Dominator paste waxes.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Okay, I tried an application at 21F. It did not cure after about 40 minutes. I wiped off with a paper towel, then brushed after another 10 minutes or so. Skis ran fine.

In conclusion, I would say at below freezing temperatures, it's not going to set-up. I didn't figure it would, but still wanted to try, so I would know for sure.

I continue to be extremely impressed with the performance of both the FFC, and Elite paste. Serious mail has been hauled.

Still have not used an iron this season. Been using only three of my over 25 pairs for this testing for over 45 days now. I'd have more days, but the weather has been real crappy at Bachelor this season!

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Little water droplet testing.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Had anyone tried the ffc2 in warm spring conditions? If so, how was it??
It's quite good, but yet to test my self. I have shared my stock of the FFC paste with several others, and they are all stoked.
I used the hot FFC wax last season for others, and got good reports too. Very durable stuff with a reasonable hydrophobicity.
I would say, if you really want the best for warm spring, that would be the Legacy Q 2P, or the Elite OS 3P.
Be sure to brush out like crazy!

phillc

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Does anyone have thoughts on any Dominator paste products for summer storage waxing?

I don’t want to use a hot iron, so either base prep, FFC or Elite glide wax pastes is what I have and would like to use.

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
Does anyone have thoughts on any Dominator paste products for summer storage waxing?

I don’t want to use a hot iron, so either base prep, FFC or Elite glide wax pastes is what I have and would like to use.
No-brainer, use the FFC P1 base prep. Leave the layer, and scrape it off when you are ready for next season.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
@Jacques Thank you for the info on the paste waxes. I unfortunately have boxes of hot wax I must go through first.

Have you tried to A/B the Dominator paste wax vs the hot wax, since they offer both versions?

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
@Jacques Thank you for the info on the paste waxes. I unfortunately have boxes of hot wax I must go through first.

Have you tried to A/B the Dominator paste wax vs the hot wax, since they offer both versions?
Yes indeed I have. I have all the FFC & Elite hot waxes.
Check this video out!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
So far I've been really happy with the Elite W with a good structure in the spring!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Jacques thank you for this.

Huge reminder I need to take care of my our fleet. I used to use F4 a lot and loved the convenience. It seems like Dominator has brought this tech a step further.

I will have to give their stuff a try

TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
@Jacques thank you for this.

Huge reminder I need to take care of my our fleet. I used to use F4 a lot and loved the convenience. It seems like Dominator has brought this tech a step further.

I will have to give their stuff a try
Still yet to hot wax a ski this season! Best to have a well-prepared base to start with. Good luck.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's quite good, but yet to test my self. I have shared my stock of the FFC paste with several others, and they are all stoked.
I used the hot FFC wax last season for others, and got good reports too. Very durable stuff with a reasonable hydrophobicity.
I would say, if you really want the best for warm spring, that would be the Legacy Q 2P, or the Elite OS 3P.
Be sure to brush out like crazy!
I was considering starting the day with FFC2 then applying Butter (will switch to Elite W when I run out of butter) at lunch or when it get warmer. Thoughts?

Last edited:
TS
Jacques

Jacques

Skier
I was considering starting the day with FFC2 then applying Butter (will switch to Elite W when I run out of butter) at lunch or when it get warmer. Thoughts?
Sure, why not. I have applied Butter off the back bumper many times. I always use gloves, and brush well. Done the same with the Elite W.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Elite OS 3P
Don't think I can budget for the really nice race stuff :D. How does Hyperzoom compare? to OS3 and FFC2? Been pretty happy with the FFC2 + Butter mix but wondering if butter durability would improve using a fluro base like hyperzoom.

phillc

Skier
Time to talk about Dominator paste waxes again?

Here's my current process:

1. Apply a thick layer of FFC P1 base prep paste.
2. Brush vigorously with a stiff nylon brush
3. Allow to cure for as long as possible, sometimes a few days, sometimes just overnight
4. Scrape off any excess
5. Brush vigorously again with a stiff nylon brush

This seems to align with the manufacturer's recommendation.

6. Apply a thin layer of glide wax, usually FFC P2 or FFC P2C
7. Allow to cure for a minimum of 30 minutes
8. Work in with a hand cork (probably a rotary cork soon as my shoulders hurt)
9. Brush vigorously with stiff nylon brush
10. Brush not quite so vigorously with a soft nylon brush
11. Gently brush of the excess with a horsehair hand broom

Again, largely matches Dominator's recommendation, although I stick to nylon brushes rather than metal.

Any advances on this process?

I do wonder if I am missing a trick by not using hot wax. When I tell people I'm using only the Dominator pastes, they do tend to look at me like I'm some kind of weirdo for not hot waxing. And on the Dominator website, their How To guide does talk about regular hot waxing: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0..._and_board_prep_for_training.pdf?v=1681179923

Am I still going to get better results from hot waxing, rather than just using the pastes?

phillc

Skier
Following up on my earlier post, I also thought to ask the same question directly to Dominator. I was very surprised to receive an email reply on a Sunday from the Technical Director, Thanos Karydas. He basically said, my process is solid, assuming that the base has been properly conditioned with hot waxes during its early life. Typically, this involves one or two cycles with FFC1 base prep, followed by one cycle of FFC2B glide wax. If I have not done this, but the base looks shiny and not dry at spots, all is well.

He also recommneded switching to P2B paste, instead of P2 paste, as it has a broader temperature range and better speed.

arficus

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone have experience with their older Monentium line of paste waxes?

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
What I did when I was using Momentium is hot wax numerous times early season with Base Renew and then used the paste. That's what Thanos suggested. I hot waxed once in a while during the season.

With the FFC it was suggested to me by Mike DeSantis to just use it and don't hot wax at all. "A nice thin layer of P1 applied before every glide wax application is optimal. Resulting in 2 thin coats each time. 30 minute cure each, and a good burnishing with the ProGlide after each coat. Final brushing after glide wax!"

Based on your post I used a steel brush on both the wet and dry P1, just a couple of passes.

Sponsor