• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Nice pics! I would have never thought of fishing from an SUP.
Whattya do with that big carp after you catch it?

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fishing.....I love fishing! Here's some pics from North Central Washington. Mackinaw, Kokanee and Chinook (both from the Columbia River and from Lake Chelan.

IMG_0118.jpg
_P7A4559.jpg
IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_2075.jpg
IMG_1900.jpg
IMG_5288.jpg
_P7A4411.jpg
_P7A4453.jpg
IMG_4206-2.jpg

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went on a backpacking trip to Humphrey's Basin (near Bishop CA) chasing Golden Trout

Goethe Lake -- The highest elevation lake (11.7K ft) visited on this trip
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.27.41 AM.png

Desolation Lake Golden Trout
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.27.52 AM.png

Wild flowers on the trail
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.28.04 AM.png

A little adversity (hail) during the trip
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 6.28.16 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
@Tex what is your fishing crappie technique? I remember as a kid visiting a family friend in Illinois, we used tiny minnows and slayed them. Seriously 30-40 an hour, took longer to pull’em off the hook and rebait compared to how long the bait soaked. Out west in Oregon, Western Montana, Washington minnows arent allowed, states dont want them in the water systems. I get it!! Theres a few crappie in a lake near my folks house in Oregon, but the freaking carp have taken over that lake in the past five years. Soaking a worm yields a carp. I havent tried any of the artificial baits like power baits aimed for crappie yet, not sure if the carp would gulp those or not.

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tex what is your fishing crappie technique? I remember as a kid visiting a family friend in Illinois, we used tiny minnows and slayed them. Seriously 30-40 an hour, took longer to pull’em off the hook and rebait compared to how long the bait soaked. Out west in Oregon, Western Montana, Washington minnows arent allowed, states dont want them in the water systems. I get it!! Theres a few crappie in a lake near my folks house in Oregon, but the freaking carp have taken over that lake in the past five years. Soaking a worm yields a carp. I havent tried any of the artificial baits like power baits aimed for crappie yet, not sure if the carp would gulp those or not.
I like to use jigs, 1) it is more of a challenging using a jig and 2) minnows are a hassle. I like to fish flooded timber. I'll fish brush piles other fisherman put out, but flooded timber is my favorite.

During spring/early summer, the crappie are aggressive, and I like to use a big jig, 1/4oz jig head on #4 J hook. Like the pic below, this is a hand tied jig, I have them custom made. I like these big jigs they drop really fast, and if you do a quick stop in front of the crappie's face, they instinctively bite it.

IMG_4887[1].JPG

Late summer, like now, they become less aggressive, and it gets hard to catch them on big jigs, so I go to a smaller one, 1/16oz jig head, #4 J hook still, but the bait is only 1 inch to 1.25 inch long, like pic below.. It looks a lot like the small shade they like to chase late summer..

IMG_5088[1].JPG

I'll crappie fish through August, then I will be done with crappie fishing till next spring. Come September 1, I'll be focus on migratory bird hunting. I'm ADD, so I can only focus one hobby at a time!!

Last edited:

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This guy had to be stoned.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Let me be more specific... why keep perch and not a bass? Why not either catch and release all, or keep all?
It may be the fish and game laws. Some states have closed season on some fish at different times of the year for one reason. Second, some fish are better eating than others. Third you may keep males and release females to increase the fish population. Do I need to go on?

Sponsor

Staff online