• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Formula 1 2021

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
How about qualifying today? So much to unpack! I know how hard it is to overtake, but the scrambled grid will make for something interesting. Can HAM run some kind of counter strategy? ALO and RIC stank it up, VET had a decent run. Incredible driving by my man Lando. Can't wait to watch (late) the race.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
It's nearly impossible to pass on the track there. It'll be all about track position and put stop timing. And mistakes.. I would venture that the winner will come from the top three on the grid. It's a horrible race quite frankly. And I found Hamilton's talk of changing the race corresponds to some poor forth of late..

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
It would be a horrible race if none of those things ever happened, but they do. I was wondering to myself, if I was Ferrari's team principal and I thought Leclerc's car had a 50% chance of terminal transmission damage, would I start him on pole or take the penalty for a new gearbox. I think I'd roll the dice and keep the pole.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I mean, Monaco is an outlier because of the track..so we shouldn't read too much into the results today. But..Vettel placed well. Max made no mistakes. Mercedes looked wrong-footed. Ferrari did well despite the LeClerc half-shaft failure. Red Bull leads the team standings. Danny R got lapped by his teammate. Ugly. Norris on the third step. The competition to Mercedes may put them in a funny place. I don't think they'll choke..but it may force some uncharacteristic mistakes. It's a lot easier to be in front...you qualify well, you have a distinct advantage. Now there will be more pressure and we'll see how they reaction. Can Max get into Hamilton's head in a significant way? Hamilton is a great competitor..so we'll see... I think Baku is next and the flexi-wing scandal will be more maximal...high-speeds there.. More indicative of a true race track than Monaco. I sure would love to spend the weekend there on a nice boat though....

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I sure would love to spend the weekend there on a nice boat though....

Me too - as long as I could drink enough to forget that there was a race going on. Gawd that was boring. When the most exciting thing to happen all day is that Bottas' crew couldn't remove his wheel during a pit stop, that's a boring race. Did they ever announce how many total passes there were for the day? I mean real wheel to wheel passes, not pit stops. If you told me less than 10, I wouldn't be surprised.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Too narrow, too short..corners too tight. It was great with no ground-effects and skinny small cars (think 1960 Cooper Climax). But now, with the speed, aero and size of cars, it's just not practical to pass anymore. I mean, it's a showcase really..it's for the "royalty" of Europe to come and shmooze. But the racing is terrible. The only practical place to pass that I can see is after the tunnel into the swimming pool. And even then.. So yeah, just not practical. And as far as showcase, I hear Singapore is the new Monaco as far as that goes... I think Spa is probably my favourite for racing..weather..speed..turn complexes.. As much as I like Suzuka from a driving point of view..not easy to pass there either.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
There weren't a lot of overtakes, but strategy sure could play a role in that race. Just ask Hamilton. Pretty amazing to see how the driver's championship is shaking out. RIC must be beside himself at this point.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Crazy qualifying in Baku today. 4 red flags with 5 cars knocked out. Who saw that coming? Let's hope we don't have quite that much mayhem tomorrow! Did any of you guys think HAM could make P2 after what happened on Friday?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I didn't pick him so I'm not a genius..but I do feel somehow Mercedes always seem to find something. Hamilton and Mercedes.. I feel like you can't count them out.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
How many safety cars today? Three? Is that why nobody even tried medium tires in Q2?

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Red Bull on a tear. Sergio paying off for Christian Horner. He's doing the happy dance I bet... It's good for the sport frankly...

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
It was and what a race! Didn't see Seb in second. Great results. Bottas in what 12th?? Wow. Great stuff.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Exploding rear tires at 190 is not fun. After the race and some investigation, Pirelli claims it was debris.

Sponsor