• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foster Dog Journey

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Belle went to her furever home tonight!

D4D334F9-5147-44B7-ACEA-BBDA109B4FAF.jpeg

Last night while I was telling her about her new home.
512FA281-5DB1-4912-988B-5443CDF2DE88.jpeg

Goodbyes between buddies.
5E3C0824-8985-47DA-9E68-59AFDC86D27E.jpeg

5B6A2ADD-9872-43D1-B63F-4CE3B90AB5A8.jpeg

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
So happy she has a permanent home now and someone to give her heart and soul to.

I'm a little confused. I thought the past 4 days was a trial period with Belle in the prospective home. Or was she there just part-time to get used to things?

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She’s been with me. We did a meet and greet on Sunday. She actually signed the contract that night. However, by waiting to hand off until tonight they 5 nights and 4 full days together to start the bond before mama has to go to work on Tuesday.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One year ago today Solara was delivered to my home. After over three months in foster and multiple vets trying to understand a mystery pain, I was told she needed to get cleared by a neurologist then adopted out. We figured a few weeks at most. Her first foster called her weird. What??? She was sweet but didn’t have my heart (yet.) Then the night before Thanksgiving she went into crisis. I still remember her pain screams and my desperation to help her like it was yesterday. It makes me want to puke. On December 11th, after 3 more vet visits with 3 different vets, we had a diagnosis of discospondylitis and expected improvement in 24-48 hours of starting antibiotics. That didn’t happen. On December 14th she was hospitalized hoping IV pain meds would get her over the hump. On December 15th I got a call telling me that morphine and ketamine weren’t helping her and they wanted to do an MRI. I left the decision making to RezDawg Rescue and took a final exam, fully expecting them to decide to end her suffering. When I finished I learned she was in emergency surgery because the infection was crystallizing soft tissue and like glass particles scraping on her nerves. RezDawg was told they needed to either do surgery or they were never waking her up. Clearly, they could see how much pain she was in. Do you have any idea how much all of this cost? I’m still in awe that RezDawg chose this path.

She came home to me a few days later with severe activity restrictions which allowed no stairs or play with minimal walks. On January 26th, after carrying her up and down my stairs for 8 weeks, she was allowed to start increasing her activity. As I drove away from the vet I called the rescue and told them that we belonged together for as long as she would survive and with that she became Ginsburg and we became a family. I’ve given her well over 1,000 pills and she’s still on antibiotics today. I’ve seen the pleading look in her eyes when she hurts. I’ve felt incredible, unconditional love even in the worst moments. This girl will kiss you while she screams in pain but yet she’s scrappy and goes for the throat when playing with her doggo friends, whether they are 108 or 20 pounds. Her joy in life is contagious. Together we’ve adventured to Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, New Mexico, and around Colorado but we love our adventures along the creek just steps from home the most. If you are among her favorite humans she will run toward you with this funny and endearing sideways gait with her head tucked down, preparing for all the love. God forbid you stop for too long, she’ll paw at you to ask for, err demand, more but she will never jump on you because she doesn’t know how.

This girl makes me laugh, smile, cry, and walk away from my desk. She motivates me to be better. I’ll spare you the songs I sing to her most days. She is my heart, my soul, my everything, and I am so grateful to be her human. Happy Forever Home Day my sweet Ginzi girl!

1636579136849.png

1636579159390.png

1636579199631.png

1636579242974.png

1636579293765.png

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@coskigirl OMG my heart is officially melted. Such a great story.

She's a special girl with a special story and she came to me while I struggled to heal from a recent trauma as well. We were truly meant to find each other and be each other's support. There is not much I've been certain of in my journey through my trauma but that is one. She truly has been my everything. Even if we woke up tomorrow and the infection took hold and won (it's always a possibility,) I'd know that the gift of the last year was meant to give me a strength that I've needed and cannot be taken from me.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I just finished reading the entire thread! That dog, whose pictures I’ve been smiling at on the dog pic thread (keep them coming!), had an incredible, harrowing, and heart-love-bursting story. I’m so - amazed? Emotional? Touched? - and feeling like I love her myself.

And you dog fosterers are so brave! What a roller coaster of emotions!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just finished reading the entire thread! That dog, whose pictures I’ve been smiling at on the dog pic thread (keep them coming!), had an incredible, harrowing, and heart-love-bursting story. I’m so - amazed? Emotional? Touched? - and feeling like I love her myself.

And you dog fosterers are so brave! What a roller coaster of emotions!

That's a long threat to read through! She's a special girl for sure. I had a really rough day yesterday (my mom was taken to the hospital barely breathing and unresponsive, finally diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism) and she was such a blessing to calm and sooth my soul when I got home.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Oh. That's terrible. Have they done something to get rid of it, or still deciding?

Yes, your Ruthie G is no doubt a great comfort any time. My little Sprocket was, too. The Chihuahua who wanted nothing more than to curl up in my lap and gaze into my eyes. I sure miss him.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh. That's terrible. Have they done something to get rid of it, or still deciding?

Yes, your Ruthie G is no doubt a great comfort any time. My little Sprocket was, too. The Chihuahua who wanted nothing more than to curl up in my lap and gaze into my eyes. I sure miss him.

I’m sorry I missed this. They have taken her off the med causing the clotting but it’s up to her body to dissolve the existing clots. She was released on Wednesday and has been recovering at home since. Ginsburg had her first therapy dog test when we brought her home and passed with flying colors.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Belle's new name is Storm and we had a play date with her on Saturday. Both dogs were so happy to see the other and Storm was happy to see me. I'm so glad her adopter wants to stay in touch and keep getting them together.

1639457272830.png

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ Those pictures make me happy. I always come to this thread when someone posts. Dogs are the best people ever.

The first day I hosted Storm I picked her up from the DAC. She and mama were walking toward me and I called Storm's name. Because I was masked and it was out of context for her she looked at me a bit confused. I called her name again and she realized who I was and she ran to me, pulling away from mama, so happy to see me. But the best part as a foster mom was that as I walked away with her she kept looking back for her mama, clearly thinking she should be coming with us. Clearly I made the right choice for her mama and they have bonded beautifully.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Especially sweet, given (IIRC) the one potential adopter who was concerned about the strength of her bond with you. So happy for Storm.

You recall correctly! There's another reason I'm glad they didn't take her though. They later adopted another dog from the rescue. As they drove out of the parking lot where they took possession of the other dog they left their car window down. The dog jumped out. There was a massive search for a few hours (Ginzi and I joined) before we found out that she'd been hit by a car and taken to an emergency vet. Sadly, she didn't make it. Given the tragic story of how they lost their previous dog (he got kicked off a mountain) I'm still shocked that they would risk an open window with a dog they aren't familiar with.

Sponsor

Staff online