• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fun Car...

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given a lot of good experience here with Audi's I have to ask? What do you think the reason is for the money pit reputation of old Audis and BMWs? Bad dealership service, poor owner maintenance? or well deserved?
Had my previous car (BMW X1) for about 9 years and it was very reliable. Not a single warranty claim, and basically routine maintenance (fluid changes, filters, brakes, battery, etc) in that time. Yes things cost a bit more, but the bad rap they get is generally overblown. The current 4 and 6 cyclinder turbo engines (B48 and B58) are pretty amazing - powerful and efficient. Here's a link to the current JD Power initlal quality study. Interesting that BMW rates higher than Toyota, Honda and Subaru.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Another day, another 911….
2001 Carrera with almost 90k miles and was pretty filthy inside and out. 7 hours later it looked much better!

BD8BF039-9F4D-443C-90D4-BD35D86D8CFF.jpeg
ED421EE8-CCB9-4093-AA1C-A83703C5BC31.jpeg

The GT2 owner parked it outside beside his older M3 for a bit so snapped a pic.

26D3F61C-FB14-49F2-B0D0-955A7E996BDB.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There is *something* about Porsches - their lines never show up properly in pics.

It's like hue, aero curves or body proportions - no photograph can do justice to more than two and sometimes not even that.

Anyone else notice that? It's like Porsches are to car photography what steep terrain is to ski pics. Weird. I mean just compare @GregK's Carrera pic and his GT2 pic.

The Carrera pic has completely distorted perspective - but I would argue it conveys true, IRL body proportion far better than the bottom pic.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's like Porsches are to car photography what steep terrain is to ski pics.
Good analogy, but I'm not sure it's just Porsches, or all Porsche photos. This one seems to photograph well IMO, maybe because it's less of a bubble shape.

1657722175805.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Also as far as sound too, if you haven't heard a Porsche Carrera GT then you haven’t heard Shakespeare the way it was meant to be done.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Good analogy, but I'm not sure it's just Porsches, or all Porsche photos.

C7s have a small scale problem relative to Porsche, Ferrari have a small scale problem relative to Porsche, so do any number of smaller cars like MGBs, TR6s, Montecarlos/Skorpions but IMO if any reader has only seen a specific Porsche model in pics or on video, they should totally refrain from commenting until they see it IRL.

One of the local retro-service garages is on one of my cycling feeder routes - and I am constantly irked that my phone simply cannot take proper shots of what he's got in front. If I ever get a Moment anamorphic kit for it, that will be my test use case.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Also as far as sound too, if you haven't heard a Porsche Carrera GT then you haven’t heard Shakespeare the way it was meant to be done.
Yeah, I heard for Shakespeare in the Park in NYC this season, they were just going to park a 911 on-stage and rev the engine.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's my 07 Ls2 C6 base 3lt. We bought this in 2017 with 10500 miles, right around 26k now. Inexpensive to keep, low maintenance and cheap insurance. This is a car you can drive and not be afraid of leaving it unattended (within reason)

Attachments

• 20220724_102809.jpg
    20220724_102809.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 12

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No longer quite as ugly!!!

No real specs or driving impressions, yet, but lots of pics.

I love the idea of a new Type R. That's if I can buy one for a reasonable price.

I know it's not going to happen anytime soon, but will we be able to buy a CTR for MSRP in a year or two?

Honda put out a nice walk-around video yesterday. From the copy, they are marketing it to an older demographic if it wasn't evident from the design.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^ I kinda like the new outthrust chin definition.

Changes the whole face from a Cylon/hockey mask esthetic to an enduro helmet esthetic.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun video of the horsepower-challenged new Integra getting picked on:

Instead of 1.5 liters and 200 horsepower, it should be 1.8 liters and 240 horsepower.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online