• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me choose skis, please - Narrowed down my ski choices but now I'm stuck

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, with respect, I would toss blue's suggestion into the trash. It has all the hallmarks of "this is what the cool kids are on"

I thought the cool kids were on twin tips. Are you saying I screwed up with the Candides? :geek: :geek: Damn...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the goal is to rapidly improve his skill, then put him on race skis or race-like.

Again, no man, just no! You don't put beginners/low intermediates on advanced ski, you don't put them on race ski and sure AF you don't put them on on FIS SL ski.

Well, if the goal is for them to never again set foot on the slopes, then yeah fine but if the goal is to make them better at that going left and right down the slope thingy-absolutely not.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
For lower intermediate skier?Seriously? These babies are perfect for the advanced crowd, great ski and all that but for lower intermediate? Nah...
Why not? I went from bunny to double black in one season. I started the season with Experience 84 Ai, ended the season with Mantra M6. I started at age 30. Majority of my improvements were on the Mantra.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Again, no man, just no! You don't put beginners/low intermediates on advanced ski, you don't put them on race ski and sure AF you don't put them on on FIS SL ski.

Well, if the goal is for them to never again set foot on the slopes, then yeah fine but if the goal is to make them better at that going left and right down the slope thingy-absolutely not.
No argument here, I was following the logic of another post as I understood it.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

The FIS SL would require an already fully committed learner, willing to persevere through the punishment, and unless a heavyweight, a speed freak who would rather spend his time skiing too fast than slow enough to concentrate on learning. Mitigating factor is being a heavyweight. A full on race ski acts like a one or two step down ski to someone who weighs 250 lbs, in that it can be bent into a tight turn at slow speeds, where as at 140 lbs, I need to ski in the upper half of the designed range of my Fischer SCs to make them work well.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Wow. This thread just keeps giving.

As @martyg mentioned invest in some private lessons with a technical instructor and then determine what ski you want/need.

@Darwin - Demo some different options and skip the machismo of bigger/wider/brighter is better.

People that are progressing from the bunny to double blacks uber quick should either be coaching since they are so awesome and obviously know the secrets of quick progression or…. But I’d like to see some video for MA of this though, genuinely curious..

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. This thread just keeps giving.

As @martyg mentioned invest in some private lessons with a technical instructor and then determine what ski you want/need.

@Darwin - Demo some different options and skip the machismo of bigger/wider/brighter is better.

People that are progressing from the bunny to double blacks uber quick should either be coaching since they are so awesome and obviously know the secrets of quick progression or…. But I’d like to see some video for MA of this though, genuinely curious..
:facepalm: Noooooo. Please spare me the POV GoPro clip of ski tips, vertigo-inducing be-camera'd helmet silhouette on the snow, complete with death metal soundtrack. No. Just no.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Your my boy Blue, my brothers and I progressed the same as you, took my buddy to the top after a couple days, he knew how to ski when he got down.
You need to ditch the Volkls and get back on those Rossignols, actually Darwin would probably love those same Rossignols and be better at the end of the year.
84 waist in a 184.
PS I’ve never been east of the Rocky’s.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
Your my boy Blue, my brothers and I progressed the same as you, took my buddy to the top after a couple days, he knew how to ski when he got down.
You need to ditch the Volkls and get back on those Rossignols, actually Darwin would probably love those same Rossignols and be better at the end of the year.
84 waist in a 184.
PS I’ve never been east of the Rocky’s.
Yeah idk why people think it’s such a tough thing to go from bunny to double black in one season. Just because it took them longer it doesn’t mean it’s gonna take others the same. People progress differently, some people learned piano faster than me but I’m not going out there being a keyboard warrior sulking at other’s progress.
P.S. I have that ski in 184cm too

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah idk why people think it’s such a tough thing to go from bunny to double black in one season. Just because it took them longer it doesn’t mean it’s gonna take others the same. People progress differently, some people learned piano faster than me but I’m not going out there being a keyboard warrior sulking at other’s progress.
P.S. I have that ski in 184cm too

There are double blacks and then there are double blacks. :ogcool:

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Yeah idk why people think it’s such a tough thing to go from bunny to double black in one season. Just because it took them longer it doesn’t mean it’s gonna take others the same.
I once skied 'No Shadows' in the JH sidecountry with a guy in his second year on skis. He was legit, not in over his head. Very athletic and had pushed himself to really learn to ski.

He also had skied over 250 days in those two years... that's 10+ seasons for an 'average' skier.

Can you go from beginner to expert in a year or two? He did. I'm not sure how many never-ever skiers have the will to move to a serious mountain and ski every day, with purpose, for well over 100 days per season to get there, but sure, I've seen it done so it is possible.

That's one person I've encountered.

Maybe Blue is Number Two?

blue

Putting on skis
Skier
I once skied 'No Shadows' in the JH sidecountry with a guy in his second year on skis. He was legit, not in over his head. Very athletic and had pushed himself to really learn to ski.

He also had skied over 250 days in those two years... that's 10+ seasons for an 'average' skier.

Can you go from beginner to expert in a year or two? He did. I'm not sure how many never-ever skiers have the will to move to a serious mountain and ski every day, with purpose, for well over 100 days per season to get there, but sure, I've seen it done so it is possible.

That's one person I've encountered.

Maybe Blue is Number Two?
iirc I got 50+ days that season. Most of my days were at Midwest, tested my ability in the Rockies in March. I ski better on ice than powder. Still no issues anywhere I’ve been to. The double black I hate doing are bumps, and the double black I can’t do are cliff drops. I found park way way harder than anything else. I can’t do a backflip to save my life even when jumping into a foam pit. But hey, much like driving or biking very fast, skiing is natural to me. I don’t get what the big deal is.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online