• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I did NOT know that.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I did not know..that wombats have square crap... WtF?
1638626469405.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I did not know..that wombats have square crap... WtF?
View attachment 150245

LOL, I was once in a kayak class taught by Derek Hutchinson, who used to laugh at square hatch openings and square covers. He of course told a story about frog butts being water tight and round . "Just look for yourself" and of course he made a moustache gesture with presumably a frog leg in each hand.

Not sure the wombat point would have held water ;) but I did bring up the issue of shark crap being spiral - like almost threaded. IIRC he just kinda narrowed his eyes and peered at me weird. Then we had another beer. :)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well... it's actually a real thing to call a chicken a "meat bird". Its to distinguish them from laying hens or dual purpose breeds. For instance breeds such as Cornish Cross Broilers are known as meat birds.
Signed,
One who has raised hundreds of chickens
Felt like this ^ comment belongs here

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
8.6 times the square root of tire pressure equals spinning wheel hydroplane speed. (Approximately)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
8.6 times the square root of tire pressure equals spinning wheel hydroplane speed. (Approximately)

Units? I know it as 6.36 sqrt(pressure) if we use km/h and kPa - for flat car radial tires.

Rounded tires like bicycle and motorcycle might be higher for the same units so, yes, I am seriously asking about the details.

Last edited:

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
Units? I know it as 6.36 sqrt(pressure) if we use km/h and kPa - for flat car radial tires.

Rounded tires like bicycle and motorcycle might be higher for the same units so, yes, I am seriously asking about the details.
Units are PSI for this equation.This was an old Air Force rule of thumb from when I was an Air Force Flight engineer

I never considered it for motorcycle or bicycle use. I mentioned this in a airline interview in the mid 2000's and the Chief pilot said that they had a slightly different equation used in the Navy.

Slemers

Getting off the lift
Skier
No problem, I have found it to be pretty accurate in automotive use. Not too scientific but could be helpful as a rough guide :)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

So are you saying that if I get a low profile tire, my hydroplane speed goes up? Lower profile tires require higher pressure vs others for the same vehicle.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So are you saying that if I get a low profile tire, my hydroplane speed goes up? Lower profile tires require higher pressure vs others for the same vehicle.

To first order, yes.

Higher order factors (*cough*tread depth*cough*) might enter into it quicker than you'd notice for low pressure applications - so a 30 psi car tire is going to notice tread depth differences a lot quicker than a 200+psi airplane tire.

I specifically mentioned bicycle tires above for two reasons - I knew I'd seen a discussion of that elsewhere with a correction factor like @Slemers uses, and sure enough here it is from Sheldon Brown:

1660330954760.png

The second reason I referenced bicycles is because it is extremely easy for one rider to change from a 100psi 700x23 tire to a 20psi 700x55 tire - completely appropriate pressures - on the same bike. With the current trend to wider rims, wider tires, and lower pressures on bikes, a lot of those hydroplaning safety buffers are disappearing.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online