• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
As the Killington report says, Pico is open for those that are willing to brave the weather. That makes complete sense as Pico has much better wind protection than Killington. They are not running the Summit Quad, but the Little Pico triple is running servicing some interesting advanced terrain. And I will be VERY surprised if anyone not wanting to brave the cold doesn't get a voucher for another day this season. I have found Killington customer service to be nothing but top notch.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had good customer service experience from Killington as well. I’m sure we will hear whether or not vouchers were given.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Okemo has limited lifts running today and giving people 50% off another January non-holiday ticket with a lift ticket this weekend. That’s a nice effort.

Okemo also offers a voucher in the first hour of operation if you decide the conditions are not such that you want to ski.

Whiteface says they are open but have all lifts on hold. I think closing is more better.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Best snow surface of the season at stowe but triple closed due to wind. It is properly brutal out here frostbite in about 5 minutes on exposed skin.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like Jay and Stowe have been getting amazing snow this season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This reminds of the talk when Squaw closed for avalanches and whne a patroller dies last year...Is it K-Tons best interest to open...it is not...there is a really good reason.

apache

Booting up
Inactive
Planning on a couple of days at Stratton and maybe E. Berkshire next week. Is the rain forecasted on Friday going to wreck things??

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What’s with all the Killington bashing?

What’s the difference between closed and ALL lifts on windhold for the entire day?

As for prepaid tickets, all mountains will give you credit to be used for future visits. While not exactly a “refund”, it serves the same purpose.
Just to clarify if my comment if it was misunderstood: there is NO difference b/w being closed and all lifts being on windhold. And I completely agree that areas which are either closing or limiting access are doing the right thing given the extreme -- nay dangerous -- conditions out there today.

My only point was that the "No refunds for weather conditions" clause needs to be suspended for this situation. Unfortunately for those mountains' bottom line, they need to either give refunds or offer credit to keep their customers happy. If any area simply turned their back on a pre-purchased ticket and refused any accommodation, they would lose my (and other skiers') business for good.

TS
SKI-3PO

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a difference between all lifts currently on windhold and closed for the day. The former considers the possibility that conditions may change that day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just to clarify if my comment if it was misunderstood: there is NO difference b/w being closed and all lifts being on windhold. And I completely agree that areas which are either closing or limiting access are doing the right thing given the extreme -- nay dangerous -- conditions out there today.

My only point was that the "No refunds for weather conditions" clause needs to be suspended for this situation. Unfortunately for those mountains' bottom line, they need to either give refunds or offer credit to keep their customers happy. If any area simply turned their back on a pre-purchased ticket and refused any accommodation, they would lose my (and other skiers') business for good.

This is intended for changing conditions for when the lifts are running and they actually are open. Before you condemning them for not doing the right thing, let them not do the right thing first.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Burke Mtn. is closed for the day and Kingdom Trails closed their xc ski center as well.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is intended for changing conditions for when the lifts are running and they actually are open. Before you condemning them for not doing the right thing, let them not do the right thing first.
2nd clarification: (tone is not always clear online). I was never condemning Killington OR any other area ahead of time. I merely commented on my thinking about how resort policy needed to be adjusted for circumstances, as in "Right, that's what it says on paper, but any resort worth its management will have to do something else today".

I think it will be interesting to see how various areas will handle today. Mt. Snow still only has 4 lifts running -- three of them are essentially "baby" area lifts. Stratton has opened one mid-mountain lift so far. Nominally, these places are "open". But it's 12:00 noon, and management will have to be thinking about how to address folks who bought tix. Are they selling at a big discount? Offering refunds/credits? I don't see conditions improving and areas opening more terrain/lifts today. If anything, conditions are getting worse.

No disparagement or disrespect intended at this point -- and probably never. I'm just a curious onlooker.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
In a situation like this, full mountain closure (or close to it) for the majority of the day, I have NEVER seen a mountain NOT 'make good' with a voucher for a future ski day within the season. They aren't going to call it a 'refund' because that is a Pandora's box they won't open, but they always make the customer whole.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
my thinking about how resort policy needed to be adjusted for circumstances, as in "Right, that's what it says on paper, but any resort worth its management will have to do something else today".
You must have been lucky to NEVER experienced a weather related closure (or significantly limited skiing). This happens A LOT in early season, particularly during the Christmas-New Year holiday period. This isn't something new this year.

The almost "standard practice" is always a voucher for the unused/unusable lift ticket.

What "adjustment" do you have in mind on that policy that you want the mountain management to think about?

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Bromley is operating chair 5 today which is a mid mountain chair accessing 22 green and blue trails. Having a blast. Conditions are pretty solid too. Keep all skin covered and wear lots of layers. The sun is out so that makes a huge difference. Back out I go.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have no problem with a mountain closing down a good part of the hill for safety reasons. Just do what Kton is doing..let people know. If you are closing down part of the mountain...let people know that too. Ideally, offer a reduced ticket price if only the beginner area is open. If they want to to charge full price, I guess that is their business and the skier can choose to pay that if they want to. Not the way I would do it, but as long as there is transparancy in that you are paying X but only getting X-y agin, just be clear.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Killington always has a "snow guarentee". During the first hour of opening you can always get a voucher for your ticket for another day if you don't like the conditions. I have used this when many of the lifts were on "wind hold" thus limiting the availble terrain. Killington did the right thing. With the air temp and wind what it is today - it would not be safe for their employees or the guests.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Killington/Pico did the right thing today- they closed their lifts & programming & accommodated the junior racers & parents by offering an awesome morning of swimming free of charge at the fitness center. Props!

Sponsor

Staff online