• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
It sounds like Whiteout is a slightly "better" version i-Rally? I never tried i-Rally, but i-Magnum fits everything that was said about Whiteout except snowy days.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thankfully, the Whiteout is not a slightly better version of the iRally.
I hear the eRally has improved it, but it needs some serious bandsaw work to the tip to really improve.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thankfully, the Whiteout is not a slightly better version of the iRally.
I hear the eRally has improved it, but it needs some serious bandsaw work to the tip to really improve.
What does "bandsaw" mean?

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmm... i-Rally's tip looks pretty square to me. What's wrong with its geometry?

James

Out There
Instructor
It means James wants them to square off the tip and put a hole in it.
Have you seen this one? The tip they’re using for wcup slalom has made it onto some non slalom skis-

166BB62A-D533-430B-A209-4AE95C9E5564.jpeg

Why you ask?
Fischer hired Sponge Bob Square Pants as an intern for the summer. Sponge got the design team drunk every week at their cookouts. Brought good food, and was generally fun. During one of these bacchanals, the lead designer said, “let’s let the kid design next year’s slalom ski. What could he possibly screw up?” The rest is history, hopefully short.

My requirements for the new slalom ski. This used to be a non issue, but with all the misguided fancy pants experimenting going on, not a given:
  • Must have a round tip (I mean even the Mongolians carving skis in the forest and bending them over a fire know this. It would be so much easier to make if they just sawed it straight across.)
  • Tip has no hole in it (I’ve thought about putting a deflector on my Fischers just inside the lowr hole edge. Face shots in 3” of powder)
  • Base must be all black. Not a bright yellow that blinds you when waxing it. It’s also draggy. The red may not need sunglasses, but same issue I’m sure.
  • Has a decent amount of edge when new
The last was a pleasant surprise with the current crop. It did have me eliminate last year’s Blizzard which would have been significantly cheaper. Those edges are thin.
I’m going with the Dynastar. They put some blue on the base in the front, (dumb), but the rest is black. I can live with that :ogcool:

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Have you seen this one? The tip they’re using for wcup slalom has made it onto some non slalom skis-

View attachment 126527
Why you ask?
Fischer hired Sponge Bob Square Pants as an intern for the summer. Sponge got the design team drunk every week at their cookouts. Brought good food, and was generally fun. During one of these bacchanals, the lead designer said, “let’s let the kid design next year’s slalom ski. What could he possibly screw up?”

My requirements for the new slalom ski. This used to be a non issue, but with all the misguided fancy pants experimenting going on, not a given:
  • Must have a round tip (I mean even the Mongolians carving skis in the forest and bending them over a fire know this. It would be so much easier to make if they just sawed it straight across.)
  • Tip has no hole in it (I’ve thought about putting a deflector on my Fischers just inside the lowr hole edge. Face shots in 3” of powder)
  • Base must be all black. Not a bright yellow that blinds you when waxing it. It’s also draggy. The red may not need sunglasses, but same issue I’m sure.
The last was a pleasant surprise with current crop. It did have me eliminate last year’s Blizzard which would have been significantly cheaper. Those edges are thin.
I’m going with the Dynastar. They put some blue on the base in the front, (dumb), but the rest is black. I can live with that :ogcool:

Looks like a nice handle for dragging skis across the parking lot.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you are bringing a Blossom into this mix, I would say the Cross Wind at 85 underfoot is more applicable.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

View attachment 126527
Why you ask?
Fischer hired Sponge Bob Square Pants as an intern for the summer. Sponge got the design team drunk every week at their cookouts. Brought good food, and was generally fun. During one of these bacchanals, the lead designer said, “let’s let the kid design next year’s slalom ski. What could he possibly screw up?”

The last was a pleasant surprise with current crop. It did have me eliminate last year’s Blizzard which would have been significantly cheaper. Those edges are thin.

I see you got out on the wrong side of bed again. :ogbiggrin:

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are bringing a Blossom into this mix, I would say the Cross Wind at 85 underfoot is more applicable.

Thanks @Philpug. I also remember you decided the most appropriate Stockli ski to compare the Cross Wind against was the SR 88 when you put it in a cage match with the AR.

Does anyone know how these Fischers do at slow speeds?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Philpug. I also remember you decided the most appropriate Stöckli ski to compare the Cross Wind against was the SR 88 when you put it in a cage match with the AR.

Does anyone know how these Fischers do at slow speeds?
That was apples to apples against the AR but as an alternative to the Fischer it is a better option than the WhiteOut (AM77). The Fischer does actaully very well at lower speeds, super easy.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Tossing in a PSA here regarding the Fischer Pro MT 86 Ti. The 86 GT replaced it, but they basically have the exact same shape/geometry (the 86 GT has slightly more tip cut). The Pro MT 86 Ti is lighter, not as planted to the snow for carving, but in exchange you get a more playful, go anywhere, do anything ski. I have now skied it in pretty much every condition and terrain possible and I have yet to find a weakness. If I could only have one ski, this is it; rips groomers, dances through bumps, doesn't blink at set up crud, and can still handle 6-12" of fresh snow.

I'm posting this because there's an ebay seller liquidating the Pro MT series skis at $275. I now own 2 pairs of the 86 Ti, but the seller obviously has many pairs available.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tossing in a PSA here regarding the Fischer Pro MT 86 Ti.

I'm posting this because there's an ebay seller liquidating the Pro MT series skis at $275.

Would snap up a pair of the PM 95s in a heartbeat. Bummer.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom K,

Not sure if you looked, but there are some of the 95's for sale as well. Prices vary, not sure if any are at 275 but I think there is.

Sponsor

Staff online