• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking to find the Lowest Volume 100-110 Flex Race Boot

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread makes me realize that compared with Amy I'm still a rank amateur at analysis. As someone who's all too aware of a couple of shortcomings in my boot setup, I have great sympathy for the OP, however, and am following closely in case a choice table scrap is dropped.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
glad you found a narrower boot,
I have to admit, I have worked with lots of great bootfitters and never used a ratio of doriflexon on forward lean/ramp angle.
On my STI and Doberman WC130 prior to that, fit it in shop to where my stance feels right and then I tweak it with spoilers and duck tape until it feels right.
In my sti, I'm flat on the boot board with the stock spoiler and about 5 layers of gorilla duck tape to hold it on and add a bit more spoiler width.

I like the red boots, but when I got them, they felt way too racey for an old off piste skier picking his away the mtn..
good luck!
W

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
scaredy cat ... scaredy cat
This thread makes me realize that compared with Amy I'm still a rank amateur at analysis. As someone who's all too aware of a couple of shortcomings in my boot setup, I have great sympathy for the OP, however, and am following closely in case a choice table scrap is dropped.
In case you haven’t figured out, I’m not shy about any of it because I do think we can all learn from each other’s’ experiences. I’m also not necessarily proud of it (it’s kind of embarrassing and those who think it’s funny I think are being rude) but what I’ve learned is I wasn’t being forceful enough in communicating that things weren’t right.

One thing I’ve never lacked is determination.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
glad you found a narrower boot,
I have to admit, I have worked with lots of great bootfitters and never used a ratio of doriflexon on forward lean/ramp angle.
On my STI and Doberman WC130 prior to that, fit it in shop to where my stance feels right and then I tweak it with spoilers and duck tape until it feels right.
In my sti, I'm flat on the boot board with the stock spoiler and about 5 layers of gorilla duck tape to hold it on and add a bit more spoiler width.

I like the red boots, but when I got them, they felt way too racey for an old off piste skier picking his away the mtn..
good luck!
W
I think the “knees roughly over the toes” is the easy way to assess if fore/aft is correct.

I will say this boot is precise and damn, that’s a nice feeling even if it’s “racey”. Zoom zoom red is faster!

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
In case you haven’t figured out, I’m not shy about any of it because I do think we can all learn from each other’s’ experiences. I’m also not necessarily proud of it (it’s kind of embarrassing and those who think it’s funny I think are being rude) but what I’ve learned is I wasn’t being forceful enough in communicating that things weren’t right.

One thing I’ve never lacked is determination.
@AmyPJ I appreciate learning from your posts and the boot fitters on this site -- we are not the only ones here seeking out internet information to help get to boot nirvana - there was recently a post from a male ski talker who actually was bold enough to post a picture of his leg and foot. Yes I understand we all need to work with boot fitters, but I was actually serious about the cage match comparison in boot categories - Why? Well because I can go to America's Best Boot Fitter site and see reviews on the most "common" boots for people with average feet. There are no comparisons of plug boots or perhaps boots that work well for those with wider feet or especially a wider calf. Yes we thankfully have @onenerdykid who is able to explain the nuances between Atomics offerings -- but how does that compare to the difference between the Lange ZA and ZA+? What about Dalbello plug or even the new Kastle? There are many threads that address foot differences and potential boot choices, it would be awesome to have some type of area where general information was provided about boots that are options for the non-average foot/calf. I'm not advocating for self fitting, but I am for having the knowledge to understand what could potentially work and going in armed with an understanding of the differences and options in boots.

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ I appreciate learning from your posts and the boot fitters on this site -- we are not the only ones here seeking out internet information to help get to boot nirvana - there was recently a post from a male ski talker who actually was bold enough to post a picture of his leg and foot. Yes I understand we all need to work with boot fitters, but I was actually serious about the cage match comparison in boot categories - Why? Well because I can go to America's Best Boot fitter and see reviews on the most "common" boots for people with average feet. There are no comparisons of plug boots or perhaps boots that work for those with wider feet or a wider calf. Yes we thankfully have @onenerdykid who is able to explain the nuances between Atomics offerings -- but how does that compare to the difference between the Lange ZA and ZA+? What about Dalbello plug or even the new Kastle? There are many threads that address foot differences and potential boot choices, it would be awesome to have some type of area where general information was provided about boots that are options for the non-average foot. I'm not advocating for self fitting, but I am for having the knowledge to understand what could potentially work and going in armed with an understanding of the differences and options in boots.
:popcorn:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will say this boot is precise and damn, that’s a nice feeling even if it’s “racey”. Zoom zoom red is faster!
Precise. That's the word. Thank you! I think this boot has improved my groomer performance significantly. Now some of the "turn dissection" threads actually make at least some sense to me! :yahoo:

Very happy for you.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Precise. That's the word. Thank you! I think this boot has improved my groomer performance significantly. Now some of the "turn dissection" threads actually make at least some sense to me! :yahoo:

Very happy for you.
I got to ski with Phil and Tricia today and take some different skis out, and normally I'm spending way too much time trying to feel the skis out. Today, I just went for it. Are you coming to the gathering?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got to ski with Phil and Tricia today and take some different skis out, and normally I'm spending way too much time trying to feel the skis out. Today, I just went for it. Are you coming to the gathering?
We hope to, but honestly, the expense is making it a question. But if we do make it to OOOtaaah, gathering or not, I will definitely look you up. We can zoom zoom together.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had a nagging issue with the lateral side heel pocket area for over a year. Some minor shell work didn't fix it. Zipfit liner. Today I lost my OMFit virginity and added some, as an experiment. Haven't skied in them yet but in the house they feel SO MUCH BETTER. I'm psyched. Put about 2/3 of a tube in the tongue and 1/3 in the heel pocket.

NOTE: If you are first-time Zipfit owner, as I once was, and you see some messy-looking black fabric tabs sticking out of the liner, DO NOT cut them off like an idiot. They form the "mouth" of the port where you add more cork. You need those.

Signed, An Idiot.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had a nagging issue with the lateral side heel pocket area for over a year. Some minor shell work didn't fix it. Zipfit liner. Today I lost my OMFit virginity and added some, as an experiment. Haven't skied in them yet but in the house they feel SO MUCH BETTER. I'm psyched. Put about 2/3 of a tube in the tongue and 1/3 in the heel pocket.

NOTE: If you are first-time Zipfit owner, as I once was, and you see some messy-looking black fabric tabs sticking out of the liner, DO NOT cut them off like an idiot. They form the "mouth" of the port where you add more cork. You need those.

Signed, An Idiot.
See! You can learn from others who aren't afraid to admit they do stooopid s*it sometimes! :ogbiggrin:

I discovered today just how cold race boots are with stock liners and sub-20s temps. :geek: Even with Hottronics. The stock liners are not going to be the long-term solution for me. I'm still cranking the buckles down which exacerbates the cold feet. When I do crank them all down, I feel control in crud unlike I ever have. I swear fat injections for my feet are the next step... :roflmao:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm going to make a suggestion here for some of the boot fitters that may be able to change the boot.

Look at Kydex (I believe thats the spelling) its a heat moldable plastic used to make holster and cases.

A custom molded tongue could be made from it??

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
See! You can learn from others who aren't afraid to admit they do stooopid s*it sometimes! :ogbiggrin:

I discovered today just how cold race boots are with stock liners and sub-20s temps. :geek: Even with Hottronics. The stock liners are not going to be the long-term solution for me. I'm still cranking the buckles down which exacerbates the cold feet. When I do crank them all down, I feel control in crud unlike I ever have. I swear fat injections for my feet are the next step... :roflmao:
Boot gloves. They give you at least 10 degrees in the cold. And they're cheap.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Boot gloves. They give you at least 10 degrees in the cold. And they're cheap.
I have some. I've never needed them since I got Hottronics. Actually, I have an even better version from Japan called Maski.

James

Out There
Instructor
Forget hot tronics. Heated socks are where it’s at. This is what I hear from many people, including a diabetic who’s used everything.

But you shouldn’t be cranking buckles so much. You need some work done.

TS
AmyPJ

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Forget hot tronics. Heated socks are where it’s at. This is what I hear from many people, including a diabetic who’s used everything.

But you shouldn’t be cranking buckles so much. You need some work done.
I have some heated socks and they’re…weird. And yeah, an aftermarket liner is in my future.

Sponsor