• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think that there might be a very slight chance of Pintu running the DH. He’s skied a small amount of decent DH in the past, and this should be a pretty gentle hill. So you never know. BUT, @ Primoz nails it. Only the top 15 finishers among the WC's best 25 starting score points. And, I don't see that happening. Certainly not enough to risk an injury, etc. So, my guess is no. I am SO surprised to see the Overall standings where they are now. A month ago I would have bet on Alexis having the overall almost locked up by now. Something like a 250 point lead.

I hope that he can pull it off, strictly as I think he’s been a great allround skier. Some great wins. I would hate to have his legacy discussed as “choking”, or similar, and blowing the overall race twice.

Odermatt skiing SL? Now that would be a rarity. I just checked his FIS SL “results”, some year end stuff...likely screwing around. Some less than stellar results at WJC’s....an event where he won all four of the other disciplines in 2018 {which is kind of unheard of and REALLY made the WC guys take notice.} Marco is no SL skier, truth be told. And the field, again, is the world’s 25 best. If he is down by 10-15 points, or so, maybe he starts, he hopes for the miracle and hopes for Pintu to have a horrible day. However, I don't think he's going to be down when they get to the SL. I think he'll have a lead. Now same thinking...if he thinks that by miracle he can score a few points, and put Pintu in a position where, say, he needs 100 with the win, or 80 in second to lock up the overall, maybe he starts.

Odermatt scoring in SL would, IMO, be a much bigger story than Pintu picking up some points in DH.

This will be an interesting week for both the men and women. "It ain't over 'til it's over!"

Last edited:

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
See if he does any of the training runs. Then decide. Was surprised it was such a while ago since the men were there—2014 when they had finals so a first for a few. Time flies. Women were there in 2018. Nice venue.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I mean, Ligety won the DH at finals in Lenzerheide. So ... idk, I think it could be a good chance for Pintu.

Pintu on the startlist for the first training run. Only 22 on the start list. I don't think it's unreasonable that he might sneak into the top 15 (if it happens).

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tough spot to be in. It's possible he gets some points, but hear he is very tired. Training runs and race do take a toll on the body and mind. Suspect he would've preferred to have the DH last so he would know if he needed to race for the points or not....instead of first and before the other events he needs to score well in.

Certainly will be an interesting finals....haven't had this much unknown/uncertainly for a LONG time! Very fun as a race fan.

Muleski

Inactive
I mean, Ligety won the DH at finals in Lenzerheide. So ... idk, I think it could be a good chance for Pintu.

Pintu on the startlist for the first training run. Only 22 on the start list. I don't think it's unreasonable that he might sneak into the top 15 (if it happens).

Ligety was a pretty solid DH skier, ranked in the top 30 on a lot of points lists. I would say that he actually ran a lot more DH than Pintu. So, that fits into my thinking. In that race at Finals, as I recall, he tied for second....which was still GREAT. I remember a mutual friend always telling him that he “was really third.” Still, WC DH podium.

Pintu has skills. But his last top 20 WC DH was nine years ago. He also is “no slouch” as he’s proven that he can ski. BUT, back to @Primoz’s point. He has to finish in the top 15 to pick up any points.

Not happening, IMO. And risky. Even more so of the chatter about his feeling under the weather, exhausted, are true.

I’m watching the weather and the scheduling, too. May well impact the DH.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Ligety was a pretty solid DH skier, ranked in the top 30 on a lot of points lists. I would say that he actually ran a lot more DH than Pintu. So, that fits into my thinking. In that race at Finals, as I recall, he tied for second....which was still GREAT. I remember a mutual friend always telling him that he “was really third.” Still, WC DH podium.

Pintu has skills. But his last top 20 WC DH was nine years ago. He also is “no slouch” as he’s proven that he can ski. BUT, back to @Primoz’s point. He has to finish in the top 15 to pick up any points.

Not happening, IMO. And risky. Even more so of the chatter about his feeling under the weather, exhausted, are true.

I’m watching the weather and the scheduling, too. May well impact the DH.
you're right, he was 2nd. Still. Ligety's WC DH record is ... spotty at best. He definitely ran a lot more DH than Pintu, but I don't think he was really that much more successful at it, except at Lenzerheide.

1615907847076.png

In the top 20 only at Lenzerheide, where he was top-5 twice. I still think the DH there would play to Pintu's skillset. But we probably won't find out based on the weather. No DH means the overall is pretty well sewn up for both Pintu and Vlhova, IMO, pending disaster. Fingers crossed they can pull it off tomorrow.

Muleski

Inactive
@S.H. ,
Agree. Neither of them are/were “reasonable”
shots to be top 10, in any “real” DH, but in the world of miracles, Ligety did do it twice on this hill. Thanks for bringing that up. When tje combi events had a somewhat “relaxed” DH leg, and when Ted and Bode were a training group, he at least trained some DH.

I have no clue about Pintu in recent years. But, he, when well, sure can ski.

The big issue is the weather. And it does not look good to run training runs and races for both genders...all tomorrow. Hopefully they can pull it off. I assume that this will all affect how they set, etc. IF this is a go.

I will not be upset if it’s cancelled, in terms of the DH globes. Goggia was just on fire before her injury. I could probably argue that her season was the best. And, I am a ginormous fan of “The Fuzz.”

BUT, this move would give Pintu a huge advantage, and on the women’s side basically hands the overall to PV.

In the ancient days, before the specialization, we’d see a guy like Odermatt skiing SOME SL, and the same with LG-B. Pretty impossible today.....PV excluded.

Hope the weather clears early AM.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sad to say (I'm French so obviously I'm extra-rooting for him) but it feels like the overall was Pintu's to lose and he may well have. As a couple of people said earlier, he chokes. Yes, there is such a thing as bad luck, but when it's on repeat something more than luck is happening. If the DH happens, I don't know how Pintu can fend off Odermatt, points-wise.

Muleski

Inactive
Too bad. But it’s the risk you run at this time of year, and with a very tightly packed calendar.

Of course, not in recent years have we had the DH at WCF’s playing such a big role {in all likelihood} in the overall globe....for both genders.

Pintu and PV still have to get it done, but this really helps both, and hurts Odermatt and LG-B’s chances.

Too bad. It happens.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hannes Reichelt has announced his retirement:

His recent results haven't been any good and he's had more than enough injuries, so his retirement may be somewhat overdue, but, in my opinion, he is one of the best speed skiers of his generation. A very long and successful career with 13 world cup wins (including DH wins at Kitzbuhel and Wengen) and a world championship gold. Too bad he couldn't compete in the Olympics in 2010 and especially in 2014, when he was in his prime, due to injuries.

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
AB028E59-9755-4C4F-B9F6-6AB11F114226.jpeg

Odermatt
Zubcic
Pinturault

Sponsor

Staff online