• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men’s World Cup 2021

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was something Hirscher-esque (or Ligety-esque) in Odermatt's second run. Impressive skiing. Now he leads the GS standings by 25 points heading into the season finals.

TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Both courses seemed really fast & open. Think I would want my long boards!
I can’t remember if I actually picked a winner this season, if not I finally did :ogcool:. Way to go Marco!

Last edited:
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
A980D103-D99D-4F0A-85DD-8082184DF296.jpeg

Noel
Foss-Solevaag
Schwarz

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not sure if I understand this. Do you mean that he skis so well in the bigger events? Or do you literally mean against physically bigger guys....like Dom Paris?

Either way, he is clearly the dominant speed skier on tour these days. Very consistent. And winning both the DH and SG at the WC's is legendary stuff! Great skiing.
I meant the latter; your example of Paris is spot on.

I just watched Odermatt's win--that second run was on fire!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That Zenhauesern dude never ceases to amaze me. He is...what...3 meters long and still on the podium in slalom. That should not be possible. Theoretically.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Well, I think I'm gonna have to eat my words lol. Incredible how bad Pintu his mental game is. All he had to do today is score some points...
Well it is slalom afterall. You ski some 60kmh on bumpy track trying to put 165cm long skis tip 1cm off the gate, and preferably on right side of the gate. It's not really so much about being strong or weak in mental game but more about lottery of luck. Straddling in SL is normal thing that regularly happens to everyone, including very best ones, so personally I wouldn't jump to fast making conclusions on someone's mental strength based on straddling in SL race.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have expected to read a comment or two about how ALL Pinturault “had to do was back it down, finish, and score.”
IME, it is incredibly difficult to do that. It’s ond thing to tell a U12 that they need to finish. It’s even doable to tell an NCAA racer that they have to finish as the team needs another finisher.
Trying to finish, and finish pretty well, by deliberately somehow slowing it down.....particularly in SL at the WC level is damn near impossible.
If you are Pintu, you have a lot of years of refining this, and general in SL, you have one gear. Maybe two. And that second gear still carries the risk of a straddle with it. May just be me, but I doubt it.
I do not believe that it has anything to do with his mental game, though it is a LOT easier to be doing the chasing rather than being chased.

And yes, Odermatt is skiing and finishing SO well. Will be an interesting week. As far as Pintu, yeah it would have been great to have a top five and the points, but S*** happens. Gotta jump back on the horse, have no memory and go after it. He knows what a difference 50+ would make right now.

I’m glad to have some excitement at Finals for both men and the ladies. Should be fun!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I would have to favor Odermatt going into the season end due to his youth and not yet experiencing any mental battle damage that might potentially impact his performance. Pintu definitely showed a bit of a "crack in his mental armor" in that SL. I think the pursuit of the overall may be weighing on him a bit more than he's ready to handle.

Skitechniek

Getting off the lift
Skier
Well it is slalom afterall. You ski some 60kmh on bumpy track trying to put 165cm long skis tip 1cm off the gate, and preferably on right side of the gate. It's not really so much about being strong or weak in mental game but more about lottery of luck. Straddling in SL is normal thing that regularly happens to everyone, including very best ones, so personally I wouldn't jump to fast making conclusions on someone's mental strength based on straddling in SL race.

I don't believe in luck. Luck is where preperation meets hard work.

Pintu has shown more than once in the past that he isn't there to perform when it counts. He could have won the overall last year, but DNF'ed on some very important occasions. He could have won the crystal globe in gs, especially in 35m era, but DNF'ed too often. There were seasons where his skiing was up there with Hirscher in gs. But he never had the consistency nor killer instict to pull through. This year he could have been gs world champ, but DNF'ed when it mattered. Again. Pintu proved time and time again why he isn't up there with some of the all time greats. Apart from that, amazing skier.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Viva la France!
exciting race today, tough from the start tougher to finish.
Great test of skill in difficult conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting to see Victor Muffat-Jeandet come down and just be in the zone for most of it. It looked so relaxed. He managed to get his feet in the fall line at the right spot gate after gate.
Zenhausern slo mo replay in a flush certainly looks odd with someone that tall.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
I wonder if Pintu runs DH at finals to try and eke out a few extra points, especially given the track in Lenzerheide. Maybe not since it's first in the program.

Leads Odermatt by 31 points.

Odermatt clear favorite over Pintu in DH and SG.
GS is a toss-up
SL is clearly Pintu.

Would think you'll see Odermatt run the SL (last in program) if there's a chance he can win the overall.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It could be that he will try, but realistically there's zero chance for him to win anything on that DH. Even though there's only 25 guys on start, that doesn't mean you will automatically get points. Points on finals are only for top 15, and as checking his DH results now, his only 2 top 15 placement in DH were in 2018 in Korea (5th) and 2013 in Schladming (15th) and that's pretty much it for WC. So I honestly doubt he will go and risk some injury (or even getting just more tired) in race, where he realistically doesn't stand any chance for points. I know this close to end and with this little advantage, he might actually go for it, but in my mind it would be way better to concentrate on events, where he can actually score points. Especially as also Odermatt is anything but top downhiller, which makes it anything but sure for Odermatt to score points in DH... if there will even be DH on finals.
For Odermatt and SL, I'm sure he will start if they will be close, but unless miracle happen, I could actually dare to bet, he won't score any points there.

Sponsor