• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any idea where to watch today's aborted Aspen downhill? It's not on Outside or Peacock. About 20 racers went down, then apparently Justin Murisier led a racers' protest at the starting gate.
I just watched the replay on Outside. Might require a subscription for the replay. Even before I knew it had been called off gave up watching after bib 21 or 22 because it was too depressing to see how no one else was going to finish within two seconds and probably even more of Sejersted. The article in SkiRacing.com said weather should be good on Saturday so hoping for a good race.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I finally found it and it was indeed depressing to watch. Especially since they might have reached 30 starters had that race worker not injured himself and cost several precious minutes.

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier
Kilde is so aerodynamic, holds the tuck and the few times he breaks it, arms are still close to the body. So many others are monkey arms.

Looks like a Super SG course, surely the Rockies can come up with a proper America's Downhill™ to match 'Austria's' and 'Switzerland's downhill.'

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would that not be Birds of Prey?
BoP is distinguished by the sheer altitude and its effect on Vo2 max; at the start, Vo2 is reduced by 20% and by the finish at 2700m, they are still in about 10-12% deficiency. (That's 1000m ~above~ the FIS altitude limit for x-country racing)! But both Avon and Ajax are short courses, only about 750m vertical, substandard to FIS minimums.

North America needs one epic course, with vertical like 1000m, similar to some Italian courses. The Rockies have the terran, challenge is an adequate base village with infrastructure & accommodation.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
F82A33D0-1DDD-4028-B580-2CC269248524.png

Odermatt
Schwarz
Kilde

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rockies have the terran,
Where? Who has 1000m of vertical with the appropriate terrain? Snowbasin? Vail? Snowmass? Copper? Genuinely curious how a downhill could/should be setup in the Rockies resorts, regardless of other infrastructure.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Where? Who has 1000m of vertical with the appropriate terrain? Snowbasin? Vail? Snowmass? Copper? Genuinely curious how a downhill could/should be setup in the Rockies resorts, regardless of other infrastructure.
Snowbasin‘s Grizzly DH is close to 1000m but still is less than 1.5 minutes.

Revelstoke could have a long one but not sure how challenging it would be.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprised that Allegre did not get flagged when the previous racer had gone through the nets. That did not seem safe even though Jocher ended up well outside the course.

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier
North America needs an epic, a legendary, something that racers quote more fear than fun. It's amusing that every January, my non-skiing acquaintances ask me about some "SuperBowl of skiing" and I reply that it's a village on the other side of the planet.

I don't USA Rockies as well as Canada. Fernie is an example (1100 m/3600 ft), homologated by a toddler.

Fernie peak.jpg

Fernie-Alpine-Resort.jpg

Last edited:

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Snowmass down from high alpine or the big burn maybe? Or how about Jackson Hole? Jackson might actually be too steep to end up very long, but over 1000m for sure. Too bad there’s not really a realistic line down lone mtn at big sky, that could be pretty epic visually for TV. Sorry for continuing the fun “what if” thread drift.

James

Out There
Instructor
Fernie is an example (1100 m/3600 ft), homologated by a toddler.
That first ridge looks like Beijing Olympics, but with snow on the sides. Like there, that’s a lotta A netting needed.

James

Out There
Instructor
In the Downhill Kilde torched those three turns after the steep rollover where you see the town. But his ability/strength to handle compression kept him in it.
076B9E9A-55E5-442A-8B61-221EEB70C65D.jpeg

Pretty far aft!

Crawford also nailed those turns.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Low altitude though^. Two weeks ago in Switzerland you’d have slush at that level past noon.
We shall see how it is this weekend! @Primoz?

Meanwhile, were there no posts of the powder frolicking at Palisades-Tahoe?

Kilde bites it and takes out teammate

German tech team skiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online