• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
That was good. Amazing what he’s doing. He’s right in it. He got 5th in the Aspen downhill.

And he's 4th for the season in DH. As he says the 1st actual human behind the 3 'monsters' (Kilde, Kreichmayr, Odermatt).

At 42! Over a decade older than those 3.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Meanwhile, were there no posts of the powder frolicking at Palisades-Tahoe?
So quick story. During the scheduled pre Olympic DH at Snowbasin in 2001 it snowed a lot! One day when training was cancelled the Austrian team was ordered to the gym but Hermann Mair insisted on skiing some Utah powder. One of our instructors was assigned to chaperone er guide him around. She said she took Hermann to the top of Strawberry Gondola & even though there was a bunch of fresh snow, there were still some giant moguls at the top of the main run. She said he took off on his DH skis at mock speed, hit the first big mogul & threw a giant slow rotation heli for about 75' & she never saw him again! :eek:
:daffy:

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maier wasn't the only ÖSV athlete who went to play in the powder that day: Eberharter and others joined in the fun.

As did a few members of my course crew... ;)

4ster

Instructor
As did a few members of my course crew... ;)
I was working for NBC that week. Besides being fed well I pretty much got paid to ski powder all week. Good times!!!
When the race got cancelled, I did come up & help you guys get B net down the hill.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
At least four of us went with the ÖSV group to ski powder. We'd spent four days moving snow. I got the "get out of jail free" pass from one of the race higher-ups to go, so...

It was a ton of fun - and really cool to ski with those guys when they were just playing. We were all doing the same thing, having a blast.

I think my karmic payback was setting 2 miles of B-nets last month at Okemo. :ogbiggrin: :roflmao:

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Low altitude though^. Two weeks ago in Switzerland you’d have slush at that level past noon.
We shall see how it is this weekend! @Primoz?
It's not really all that low altitude. Or at least it wasn't. Normally races were not at 2000m above sea level and courses around 1000m were (or still are) normal with anything above that counted as high altitude... but things change :D
Otherwise it's pretty warm here and weather forecast is not much different for weekend with maybe even some rain/snow (nothing much). Race course is hard, and they were still injecting it yesterday, but last week it was pretty bad to ski there. Ok skiing on open course is one thing, skiing on race course with constant slipping is another thing though. But based on weather forecast and how things are at the moment, I don't really expect it to be full ice like normally. So most likely not much chances for racers with higher bibs.

James

Out There
Instructor
During the scheduled pre Olympic DH at Snowbasin in 2001 it snowed a lot! One day when training was cancelled the Austrian team was ordered to the gym but Hermann Mair insisted on skiing some Utah powder. One of our instructors was assigned to chaperone er guide him around. She said she took Hermann to the top of Strawberry Gondola & even though there was a bunch of fresh snow, there were still some giant moguls at the top of the main run. She said he took off on his DH skis at mock speed, hit the first big mogul & threw a giant slow rotation heli for about 75' & she never saw him again!
Great story!
He was at his peak then. That summer he would have his tragic motorcycle accident and miss the 2002 Olympics. Amazing he came back from that.
So, good thing he got to ski that pow.

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier

Kranjska Gora is going to be warm

podko.jpg

Last edited:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
At least four of us went with the ÖSV group to ski powder. We'd spent four days moving snow. I got the "get out of jail free" pass from one of the race higher-ups to go, so...

It was a ton of fun - and really cool to ski with those guys when they were just playing. We were all doing the same thing, having a blast.
:useless:

4ster

Instructor
Great to see Pintu on the podium today!
79F9E803-5985-4E99-ABC3-8799EC7C6760.jpeg

Odermatt
HK
Steen-Olsen

RiesenSL

Getting on the lift
Skier
Andorra finals this week going to be very, very warm. At finish, overnight lows 3-5, afternoon high 10-12. No North Americans in the SL, but competitively tight between Braathen, HK and Yule.

Clarey winning the DH would be a cinderella story. If he goes early and posts a fast time, Kilde, Kriech & Crawford should back off.

Soldeu.jpg

4ster

Instructor
What a 2nd run from HK! Henrik has made a few great charges from behind this season, seems like he still has the potential to beat Odermatt.
& Pintu on the podium again :golfclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online