• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most common trail names?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I wouldn't have known what they were either if it hadn't been for Jack London novels. It's THE preferred prey critter in White Fang/Call of the Wild.

The Ptarmigan chair at Lake Louise, while not original, still has the same name and is the only lift in the original location from the 1970s.

At Sun Peaks' mid mountain Sunburst Lodge, if you are eating on the deck and are patient, you can get the Ptarmigans to eat out of your hand.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh the stories that little fence could tell!."

Fence, devil's crotch, mineshaft... 'Horror' is not the specific mining term that seems appropriate.

The Ptarmigan chair at Lake Louise, while not original, still has the same name and is the only lift in the original location from the 1970s.

You have to appreciate that when I first read White Fang in English, I was 6000 miles and 25 years from skiing LL :D And no, it doesn't translate to other languages - they used the noun corresponding to 'capercaillie' in the translations.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ptarmigan:
IMG_20191225_115809953~01-ptarmigan.jpg

In a white out on a powder day. It was a miracle I could see them at all.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
LOL.
Mt Mancelona is not really a mountain.
We may need a separate thread to dicier what Mt Mancelona is now. It was a normal ski areas until the mid 80s after which I think it was private land/residence until 2018ish when it went on the market. Apparently the website represents the latest owners who want it to a be a wedding/concern event venue, trailer park, rental lodging and back country skiing. Parts of the website talk about their plans for "2019," including hosting events with 25,000 people. Sounds kind of crazy to me but I'm sure the town would welcome jobs/tax revenue. But their model seems kind of all over the place and likely to fail.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We may need a separate thread to dicier what Mt Mancelona is now. It was a normal ski areas until the mid 80s after which I think it was private land/residence until 2018ish when it went on the market. Apparently the website represents the latest owners who want it to a be a wedding/concern event venue, trailer park, rental lodging and back country skiing. Parts of the website talk about their plans for "2019," including hosting events with 25,000 people. Sounds kind of crazy to me but I'm sure the town would welcome jobs/tax revenue. But their model seems kind of all over the place and likely to fail.
Trailer park or RV park?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
That's how they mark the spot where you have to start your tuck if you want to get back to the lift without skating.
Stolen from Tod Mtn near to 40 years ago:

1634089526691.jpeg

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
Chamois, Marmot. At a guess there are many more runs with these names than ski areas in North America!....Popular in non european countries also.

Sponsor

Staff online