• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Monsteresque

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Many thanks to the SkiTalk members who have recommended the Head Monster 88. Though my model is now 4 years old, it is my new favorite ski of all time. It just fits my style of skiing really well. I'm holding one in reverse, but I fear the day when I'll have to replace it.

Fellow Monster fans, what other skis have you found that come the closest?
  • Blizzard Brahma 88
  • Augment AM88
  • Blossom Cross Wind
  • Kastle MX88
  • Salomon S/Force Bold
  • Stockli Laser AR
  • Volkl Kendo 88
  • K2 Mindbender 90Ti
  • ???
Anything we can do to convince Head to restart the line?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
On this topic, which is the “charger” augment? The 88 98 or 108? The 88 appears to have the longest radius which is surpising.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I for one am sad to see the Monster go and I think it is a big loss for skiers but for "people who ski", the Kore 87 that replaced it is a better ski. The Kore 87 will probably outsell the Monster 88 4:1. As far as the options to replace the Monster...from you list, the order I would suggest them..
  1. Blossom Cross Wind (upcoming AM85)
  2. Augment AM88
  3. Kästle MX88
  4. Völkl Kendo 88
  5. K2 Mindbender 90Ti
  6. Blizzard Brahma 88
  7. Salomon S/Force Bold
  8. Stöckli Laser AR

Head
Where the Dynastar Legend was the inspiration for this article, replacement of the Monster 83 and 88 was the catalyst. The Monster’s days were numbered when Head introduced the wildly successful Kore series of skis. First to go in recent seasons were the Monster 98 and 108. This made sense as the market for a (nearly) fully cambered traditional shaped 98 and 108 was near null. I agree there, but the Monster 83 and 88 were still class leaders. In performance they were the skis to which others were compared. These were skis for skiers, good skiers. The volume of sales might have been dwindling but the quality was still there. I understand the need to streamline collections and having a two ski collection can be confusing to some ski buyers. So, let's replace two extremely purposeful skis for the sake of versatility.

For 2021 Head replaced the 80mm Head iTitan with the 84mm eTitan. Vowels aside, the eTitan is now a very wide carver and, with the 7/8ths version 85mm V-Shape V10 also in the Head line, the Monster 83 could be perceived as superfluous. I will give Head points because they will also be offering the eTitan flat, sans bindings, something that has never been offered on a Supershape ski in the past. As far as replacing the well loved Monster 88 with the Kore 87? Will the Kore 87 be a better ski for more skiers? Probably, but the Monster 88 was a great skier for select skiers. With all this said, the Kore 87 will probably outsell the Monster 88 by a significant margin.
  • What you will miss: The Monster 83 was a really good frontside ski that could play all over the mountain. The Monster 88 was the reference 88 ski with a hard snow bias.
  • What you will gain: With the eTitan, a better hard snow ski with more purpose and the Kore 87, a ski that you can relax on and not have to think.
  • Insider tip: You can get the eTitan flat. For Nth degree fun, consider a race plate and Freeflex FT.

With all that said, will we see another Monster down the road? I would say yes. It happened once and why not again....anything is better than the Rock & Roll collections they Head tried a few years back

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Augment AM 88.... and yes, I'd love to see the 88 brought back with a retro modern 'Head Standard' graphic. :)

I wonder if Head is amenable to the possibility. This year when the spring sales started, the first skis marked down seemed to be the Kores.

Just came across this. A black Standard Monster would be great.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Head did a "Head Standard" version of the IRally a few years back. I's ski a Head Yahoo 3.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a shame. For me, the 83 (over the 88). Loved it. But never got it because for that I preferred race skis and near race skis, and a few older Stocklis. But only barely.

Have yet to get on the Kore 87. I really like the Kore 93, though.

And the Titan (only been on the i), that's a different, even more specialized ski: definitely in competition with near race skis, and "plus" width skis that are race-derived. Really neat edge feel.

P.S. Have not been on the first two alternatives on Phil's list - the Augment and the Blossom, but of the others, the only one that is even close in behavior to me is the Stockli AR.

Last edited:
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On this topic, which is the “charger” augment? The 88 98 or 108? The 88 appears to have the longest radius which is surpising.

I get the feeling the 88 is, just from the reviews. "Playful" gets mentioned a lot with the 98 and the 98 and 108 appear to have more tip rocker.

I find it odd that the Monster is always referenced as an on piste ski, but I ski mine exclusively off piste and have a ball with it. For those that do enjoy the Monster in off piste, are we likely to find the same enjoyment with the AM88? I'm probably splitting hairs, but it seems the AM88's tip may be more tailored to carving groomers.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
It's too early to think about it if you have a reserve M88 laying around.

Just start doing a free demo now and then a couple years from now. The new models in the next two years will be NOS by the time you retire your second Monster 88.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
This year's Blizzard Brahma 88 has replaced my Monster 88 in that quiver slot. Very similar in application. Blizzi has a bit more energy and is a bit easier to manipulate turn shape into a short radius turn than Monster 88, but the differences are subtle.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I liked my 2016 184cm Monster 88's--nice all mountain big burly ski for crushing cut-up snow and crust in screaming GS style turns.

Recently ran across an unused pair of 2020 177cm Monster 88's at a price so low I could not pass them up; mounted them with STH2 WTR13's.

Monster 88 177.JPG

Wow! What an amazing ski--easy to bend into any turn shape; perhaps a bit less top end than the 184, but so much more versatile and fun! Phenomenal ripping carved turns on groomers, no issues in a few inches of fresh snow, great edge grip on crusty morning snow, easy blasting through corn and slush, and incredibly fun on afternoon bumps down the west face of KT22. I love this ski and find it more capable in more conditions than my older Monster 88's, as well as my AR or AX. My Enforcer 88's have more of a soft snow bias and are better off-piste than the Monster 88's, but can't hold a candle to them on-piste. My Liberty Evolv90's are a bit more balanced than the Monster 88's, but are not as quick, stable, and energetic. Likewise I prefer these Monster 88's to my old Brahma 88's and the Volkl Kendo's I've tried.

Now to find another pair....

Last edited:
TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now to find another pair....

Or if you prefer the 83s:

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First day out on my new-to-me M98s. Awesome skis. They might just be next season's goto for deeper days. I skied them back to back with my M88s and I'm hard pressed to put one before the other.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A Monster fan site. If you know of any great quotes, let me know, I'll add them to the list. Any graphic designers? It would be cool to have an image of a Monster (circa '18) with a Head Standard topsheet.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Monster 88.
I ran across these on OfferUp for $30. The nice part is they were only about 2 miles away from my house. They only needed a little ptex work and the edges done. Considering they are 2008 vintage, they were in fine shape.
I tried them out on my last day skiing at Crystal. They handled the slush bumps, scraped firm, and piles just fine. Smooth, stable, unflappable, and fast. The graphic was ahead of its time.
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Monster 88.
I ran across these on OfferUp for $30. The nice part is they were only about 2 miles away from my house. They only needed a little ptex work and the edges done. Considering they are 2008 vintage, they were in fine shape.
I tried them out on my last day skiing at Crystal. They handled the slush bumps, scraped firm, and piles just fine. Smooth, stable, unflappable, and fast. The graphic was ahead of its time. View attachment 133596 View attachment 133598
Pull the bindings, remount flat on the ski w/o the Driver+ plate. Those also look like demo track 900's, a pretty soft binding for a 88mm ski, a more laterally rigid binding will perform better.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pull the bindings, remount flat on the ski w/o the Driver+ plate. Those also look like demo track 900's, a pretty soft binding for a 88mm ski, a more laterally rigid binding will perform better.

Hmmm, well I do have a couple pair of 997 equipes around in a junk box somewhere. They are probably the same hole pattern.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm, well I do have a couple pair of 997 equipes around in a junk box somewhere. They are probably the same hole pattern.
They are the same pattern (other than the 5th screw in the heel) and will perform great. You can swap over to Sth16 (not Sth2 16) AFD's that will give a little more performance too.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January