• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mounting Bindings with Paper Templates

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how many people have used a drill press to mount bindings?
I do all the time. I picked up a drill press for like $40 at a garage sale to do my skis and for a number of years I’ve done skis for friends and the patrollers I worked with. It sure makes things easier, and less stressful.

MacO512

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think very many? If I had never read anything online on how to mount bindings that's what I'd immediately think to use. Would be super nervous of holding a drill freehand.

Maybe your point is a number of people would never think to use a drill press, but it's the standard tool if you want accurate straight holes.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a small picture selection of skis I used a drill press to mount.
IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1188.jpeg

IMG_0848.jpeg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
A couple things I'm doing differently:
  1. A 5/32" with a shaft collar set to a depth of 9.5mm. Ski binding drill bits (Tognar) are turned on a lathe, which removes the the side cutting edge. Real drill bits just drill better.
  2. No more wasting time with pilot holes. A good counter punch followed up with this 5/32" is all that is needed.
Note the Moment Commander 92s.

View attachment 231454 View attachment 231455

The step you're missing is the use of a countersink tool. If you've ever been burned by volcano-ing of your drilled holes, you would understand. I always countersink all the drilled holes before mounting the bindings. This ensures that the bindings easily, and perfectly, sit on the top surface on the ski without any unintended gaps.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think very many? If I had never read anything online on how to mount bindings that's what I'd immediately think to use. Would be super nervous of holding a drill freehand.

Maybe your point is a number of people would never think to use a drill press, but it's the standard tool if you want accurate straight holes.
The key is an accurate center punch. After that, everything's easy. The holes don't have to be perfectly straight, but they do need to be in the right location.

In some regards, a hand drill can be more accurate: a hand drill easily locks on to the center punch, whereas with a drill press, the ski needs to drag across the table to get in alignment.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The key is an accurate center punch. After that, everything's easy. The holes don't have to be perfectly straight, but they do need to be in the right location.

In some regards, a hand drill can be more accurate: a hand drill easily locks on to the center punch, whereas with a drill press, the ski needs to drag across the table to get in alignment.

Agreed. The only time a drill press is needed (and superior) is for mounting of inserts. Having the inserts be perfectly aligned is critical to success with that setup. If they're even slightly off-center or "tilted" vertically, it becomes a major exercise in frustration. Machine screws are unforgiving of these errors.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The step you're missing is the use of a countersink tool. If you've ever been burned by volcano-ing of your drilled holes, you would understand. I always countersink all the drilled holes before mounting the bindings. This ensures that the bindings easily, and perfectly, sit on the top surface on the ski without any unintended gaps.
Good point. I should mention that I always tap the holes so volcanoing is not an issue. Sometimes I trim off the raised ridges of the hole with a sharp chisel, but usually leave them on -- extra sealant: it's like a poppet valve with the binding base.

A question sometimes arises: Should I first tap a hole on skis without metal? No. You shouldn't ski skis without metal.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Good point. I should mention that I always tap the holes so volcanoing is not an issue. Sometimes I trim off the raised ridges of the hole with a sharp chisel, but usually leave them on -- extra sealant: it's like a poppet valve with the binding base.

A question sometimes arises: Should I first tap a hole on skis without metal? No. You shouldn't ski skis without metal.

I tap all holes too (metal or no metal), volcano-ing can still be an issue even with tapping.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too. I bought the one Tom is showing. It is small and portable, but big enough for things i actually do. A full size press would be an immovable hassle.

The first pair I ever mounted I did at work with a 1950s era Bridgeport milling machine. Talk about overkill! But it was nice to dial the head directly over the punched dot.

TS
T

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too. I bought the one Tom is showing. It is small and portable, but big enough for things i actually do. A full size press would be an immovable hassle.

The first pair I ever mounted I did at work with a 1950s era Bridgeport milling machine. Talk about overkill! But it was nice to dial the head directly over the punched dot.
That's awesome. How did you compensate for tool deformation?

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. The only time a drill press is needed (and superior) is for mounting of inserts. Having the inserts be perfectly aligned is critical to success with that setup. If they're even slightly off-center or "tilted" vertically, it becomes a major exercise in frustration. Machine screws are unforgiving of these errors.
If a little off, you can use the binding to align the inserts. Mount the binding without torquing, while the epoxy is wet and let cure.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Plan to use epoxy on base and screws too. Epoxy might act as a mild threading lubricant leading to additional torque but you'd think the 4nm figure assumes there is epoxy/glue.

What do you mean by using epoxy on base? Surely you are not intending on applying epoxy to the base of the ski, nor on the topsheet to "hold" the binding to the ski?

The common practice is to put a few drops into the screw holes immediately before installing the screws. And there are better glues than epoxy for this purpose.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Here's a slideshow outlining how I mount bindings with paper templates. I'm not a ski tech so don't take this as a definitive how-to; it's just a procedure that has worked well for me. There's always room for improvement, so if you have suggestions, please offer them up. I like the procedure because there is no measurement involved -- aside from marking the 9.5mm depth on the drill bits. I find it yields a high degree of accuracy: the printer is probably the greatest source of error in the process. As I go through the steps I'll add links to the various tools I find helpful.

If you are considering mounting your own bindings, please be aware of the risk you are undertaking. I recommend practicing several mounts on 2x4s before drilling into the real thing. It's also advisable to take the finished product into the shop for mount and setting verification.

I have used other available templates with success, but I decided to create my own, mostly for the fun of it, but also because I have found it difficult to cut templates to the right boot sole length (BSL) and join the templates together with good alignment. For this reason, I wrote a program to compute hole locations given a binding and BSL, while aligning the two pages is made easier with thin alignment marks that span the full page ensuring a straight template centerline. I also print two templates per set since center punching is destructive. The templates are available on my github. If you don't mind some Haskell programming you can also use the program to do things like compare holes locations of varying bindings, BSLs, and mount points, in case you are considering the optimal placement for a remount:

For this slideshow I'm mounting a pair of Marker Griffons set at 334mm BSL. Here is the corresponding template:

And here it is printed out. Be sure to check correct printer scaling:

View attachment 128536

First trim of the corners of one page right through the two alignment marks:

View attachment 128537

This allow one page to be aligned with the other:

View attachment 128538

When you're satisfied, carefully tape together, front and back:

View attachment 128539

The final template prep requires cutting see-through holes at the intersections of the centerlines and the midsole line. We also need to trim the ends so that the centerlines run right to the edge of the paper:

View attachment 128540

Now get some skis to mount. I came across a brand new pair of 2016 (?) Head Monster 88s still in plastic being sold out of a scuba shop in Tennessee.
(Dear Head, Please bring back the Monster, preferably with the classic non-hammerhead tip. It's one of the best of all time.)

View attachment 128541

Skis mark the suggested mount point in various ways. These Monsters had it on the sidewall:

View attachment 128542

Mark you desired mount point with masking tape. I put Xs on one edge so I don't confuse the right edge with the wrong:

View attachment 128543

Place the template on the skis with the mount point aligned with the midsole line, view through the holes:

View attachment 128544

View attachment 128545

Now place 3-4 layers of tape on the approximate ski centerline where the template edges land. The extra layers of tape prevent the marking gauge from cutting through and defacing your new pair of skis:

View attachment 128546

Mark on the tap where the template edge lands:

View attachment 128547

Using a marking gauge, find the center of the ski, repeatedly checking one side and then the other, closing in on the center. I recommend this marking gauge from Lee Valley Tools:

View attachment 128548

Once you have the center, mark the tape using both ski edges. If you have a short turn radius ski, this mark should look like an squashed X, which is okay. With these Monsters (184), it's pretty much a straight line:

View attachment 128549

Now align the template on the ski using the front centerline mark, the rear centerline mark, and the midsole / mount point mark:

View attachment 128550
View attachment 128552
View attachment 128551

Carefully tape the template to the ski. Tape down the see-through hole for better security:

View attachment 128553

Now it is time to center punch. I highly recommend getting an optical center punch: they provide good accuracy and they make you feel like a submarine captain peering through a periscope. I use this one by Fowler:

View attachment 128555

Target in sight:

View attachment 128556

Target acquired!

View attachment 128557

Fire! (Replace the optical eyepiece with the punch and wack it with a hammer.):

View attachment 128558

All marks punched:

View attachment 128559

Remove all the templates and tape:

View attachment 128560
View attachment 128561

Center punching is more than just marks. It dimples the surface allowing a drill bit to find the hole center without wandering. I use a 1/16" bit as a pilot hole:

View attachment 128562

The main bit is 5/32", which is just under the standard 4.1mm and still large enough to be tapped. Mark the correct depth on the bits with tape; in this case, 9.5 mm:

View attachment 128563

Until recently I have hand drilled the pilot and main holes. However, I just got this mini drill press to make the work easier. It's from Grizzly, but it is a Chinese make found under a number of different brands:

View attachment 128564

Set the correct depth for the pilot holes:

View attachment 128565

Drill the pilots. Unlike with a hand drill, I've found that the drill press takes more effort to get good alignment, but once you do, it's much easier to drill:

View attachment 128566

Next set the depth with the main bit and drill. If the ski can slide freely on the table surface, the main bit will automatically find and align with the pilot hole:

View attachment 128567

Holes drilled!

View attachment 128568

Hole tapping next. I use a tap from Binding Freedom and a long tap wrench from Starrett:

View attachment 128571

With holes tapped, mix and add epoxy:

View attachment 128572

And mount:

View attachment 128573
View attachment 128574

I felt a little bad pulling off this weathered sticker, thinking, is this the last new '16 Monster to be found in the wild?

View attachment 128575

Wait a few hours:

View attachment 128576

Then go ski! (My buddy with Mt Shuksan in the background. The newly mounted Monsters are on my feet.):

View attachment 128577

This is over thinking a binding mount to the highest level. You might have just a little bit too much free time on your hands...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Actually, in the four different ski shops I worked none of them ever used a drill press. I would like to ask any of our members that mounted binding for a living if the shop they worked ever used a drill press to mount bindings? My guess is the answer would be no. Because shops use drilling jigs, electric hand drills, and drill bits that they get from the binding manufacturers. Maybe if you are an unsure home mounting person you need a drill press to limit the depth of the hole so you don't drill all the way through the ski.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never used a jig. Don't they enforce verticality? Before the press, I had this
20240329_154505.jpg

20240329_154524.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've never used a jig. Don't they enforce verticality?

Only if the jig sits squarely and all the way down on the ski. Plenty of vertically d*rked up mounts from jigs not sitting flush, creeping up, otherwise askew.

And, of course, verticality to the topsheet is not the same as verticality of the drill press.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, in the four different ski shops I worked none of them ever used a drill press. I would like to ask any of our members that mounted binding for a living if the shop they worked ever used a drill press to mount bindings? My guess is the answer would be no. Because shops use drilling jigs, electric hand drills, and drill bits that they get from the binding manufacturers. Maybe if you are an unsure home mounting person you need a drill press to limit the depth of the hole so you don't drill all the way through the ski.
Never used a drill press when I worked at a shop, manufacturers‘ jigs instead with shouldered bits.

I don’t know why some people get so bent out of shape about using a drill press. I‘m totally not saying you need one but my $40 drill press is a lot cheaper than any one jig, and I’m not about to buy multiple jigs. I just use a punch to mark the holes location, put a Tognar bit in the press, and bam bam bam bam. Voilá. It’s so much easier, quicker, pretty f’n accurate, and stress free compared to freehand. And it’s not like no one has screwed up a mount in a shop with a jig.

I have done a lot of home mounting, as I mentioned upthread.

Edit: more pictures of mounts I’ve done for friends…with a drill press.
IMG_0720.jpeg

IMG_1182.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_0839.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online