• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mustard, which, when and where?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have about 1/2 a shelf on the fridge door dedicated to mustard, they all work well. Hot/spicy Beaver brand on a sausage works well. Honey mustard on chicken or ham sandwich. Yellow mustard (the wife's fav, a small town Montana girl what can you say) like it mixed with ketchup for a fry sauce. Course German when you want to chew it a little or on a pretzel type item. Mustard like beer or wine pair up so well with different foods.

We have a German restaurant close that make 3 different kinds, and will sell it by the 1/2 pint, all great. I like them, a lot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I fully believe mustard isn't a finished condiment - it's a kit. Yellow mustard is a good starter kit for spicy mustards or vegetable mustards - beets, parsnips, horseradish, curried carrots, whatever has mild but distinct taste. Well, mild is a relative term, wasabi works just fine.

I like Pommery for rustic mustards - really dislike Maille and can't stand Grey Poupon.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"which, when and where?"

None, never, and nowhere.

Mustard is perhaps the most foul food out there, IMO.
Not a fan.
You spelled "Miracle Whip" wrong.
I knew you'd have to take another cheap shot at an actual GOOD condiment. For shame. :nono:

:ogbiggrin:

Every time I'm about to hit Bostedo's "friend" button on FB I remember this about him and retract my finger.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Cool Whip is great. And oil is edible (well, food oils anyway)... many people eat it all the time. Fried foods, sauteed foods, olive oil in a large variety of dishes, etc. I think the canned Whipped Cream industry would like people to think Cool Whip is made from crude oil or motor oil or something.

Posts like this totally bring back memories.

Specifically, memories of Greatest Loser nutrition counselors talking up mustard over all these other condiments, for at least 10 screen minutes per season. :ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Posts like this totally bring back memories.

Specifically, memories of Greatest Loser nutrition counselors talking up mustard over all these other condiments, for at least 10 screen minutes per season. :ogbiggrin:
Oh, I have no doubt mustard is better in that regard. It's got a lot of flavor and less negatives compared to something like mayonnaise. But unfortunately it's disgusting.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't eat a lot of mustard, probably because I don't eat a lot of the foods that it goes with. I do like dijon or spicy brown on sandwiches, brats, and hot dogs. I put some dijon in when I make homemade mayo. I'll put the yellow stuff on a hot dog if I'm eating it at a bbq or whatever and that's all that is available.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Yellow in potato salad is the law isn't it? (But wondering about living dangerously with some sweet hot)

Mustard really is biblical!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
If the mustard in your yellow bottle comes out brown you probably should not eat it! You should look at the expiration date and realize it's been in your trailer for quite some time living through sub-freezing to over 100° temperatures and is no longer technically a condiment, let alone a food.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think it's even more foul than mustard..
Funny story, I went to a very expensive restaurant once..and I'm not fancy really (let's call that an understatement..)..and there was all this food on the plate..well not THAT much food..but it was not very identifiable..I *DID* know that there were parsnips on there somewhere (Scottish..good to go...) and some other things. Lighting was low-ish..Renee Zellwegger was a couple of tables over and I suspect they do this on purpose to give people some anonymity..anyway, I'm tucking into my parsnips, because I eat each different food one by one..don't ask..and I grab this huge spoonful of 'neeps and what do I get??? HORSERADISH!!!!! So now what? I'm at a table of 10, I got Renee Zellwegger just across the way, whom I've been mouthing "I LOVE YOU!!!" to all night, lord knows who else is in this murky den of wealth and celebrity..and I got a mouthful of burning hot horseradish.... Well, you choke it down, that's what... So lesson learned..if you can't positively identify the food at a strange restaurant, go easy!!!! Don't Gandolfini it...
We have a Wasabi Bob story about @Bob Barnes
We were having a staff meeting at The Cabin at Big Sky EpicSki academy. We had a table with Nolo, @Chris Geib , @Philpug @Weems and of course Bob Barnes. (among others) The atmosphere was nice and the place was dimmly lit.
Bob ordered the wasabi encrusted salmon, and was having nice conversation as he was eating.
During conversation he accidentally picked up a fork full of the wasabi garnish on the edge of the plate.
He immediately started gasping for breath as he had swallowed a melon ball sized wad of wasabi and there was no going back.
Chris Geib and I were on the opposite side of the table and could only watch and hope he didn't hural his meal across the table at us. Phil was sitting next to him and was looking at him with the look of "what do I do???"
Bob resembled this!

Rogger rabbit eyes.jpeg

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To start...
  • Yellow-
    • Philly pretzel (Wawa)
    • Corned beef & cabbage
    • Hot ham & cheese
  • Brown-
    • Hot Dog with Sauerkraut
    • Pastrami/rye
    • BBQ sauce base
  • Dijon-
    • lamb..with rosemary
    • dressings
    • Veal (or Chicken) Dijonnaise

Damn-we could hang together! I do like yellow mustard on a chili-dog though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Damn-we could hang together! I do like yellow mustard on a chili-dog though.
Funny, last week I was craving a hot dog with yellow mustard, chopped onion and sweet relish.
I usually prefer my hot dog with just brown mustard, or Chicago Style.
I blew a gazillion WW points on the craving but it was worth every bite.

Sponsor

Staff online