• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mustard, which, when and where?

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
My fav is Löwensenf. Similar to a classic Dijon but spicier, less vinegary with a purer mustard taste.
C90A2C6C-4F24-498E-B8B2-6ACAA323B1C6.jpeg

I also like most brands of real French Dijon mustard especially when flavored with green peppercorns moutarde au poivre vert.
00FD4684-D648-488E-A798-6A7914F2FCDB.jpeg

I use mustard to whip up a classic French salad dressing: lemon juice whisked in olive oil with salt and mustard added to taste. You’ll notice this recipe there’s bears no resemblance to the American abomination known as “French dressing.“ I honestly don’t know why anybody would ruin a perfectly good salad using the disgusting “dressings” on sale in North American supermarkets.

I do not have any use for sweet Bavarian mustard at home but I do enjoy it with traditional Weißwurstfrühstück in Munich: veal sausage, pretzels, and wheat beer for breakfast. Brilliant.
C3F85BDA-1AA5-4CE3-BB9F-0EDA39F4174B.jpeg

P.S. Grey Poupon is NOT a classic Dijon mustard. Sugar has been added to appeal to the American palate and IMHO the added sweetness ruins the flavor.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This forum needs a 'Fake Food We Accept As Real' thread, for things like wasabi and cinnamon.
Bell peppers, any color. Ruin anything near them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Eh... for most people (myself included), cassia IS cinnamon.

My biggest problem with cassia is when people insist on using it in traditional Mediterranean savory recipes for the sake of authenticity - and render the result unspeakably foul. Moussaka most specifically included. *cassia retch*

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My fav is Löwensenf. Similar to a classic Dijon but spicier, less vinegary with a purer mustard taste.
View attachment 107491

I also like most brands of real French Dijon mustard especially when flavored with green peppercorns moutarde au poivre vert.
View attachment 107492

I use mustard to whip up a classic French salad dressing: lemon juice whisked in olive oil with salt and mustard added to taste. You’ll notice this recipe there’s bears no resemblance to the American abomination known as “French dressing.“ I honestly don’t know why anybody would ruin a perfectly good salad using the disgusting “dressings” on sale in North American supermarkets.

I do not have any use for sweet Bavarian mustard at home but I do enjoy it with traditional Weißwurstfrühstück in Munich: veal sausage, pretzels, and wheat beer for breakfast. Brilliant.
View attachment 107493

P.S. Grey Poupon is NOT a classic Dijon mustard. Sugar has been added to appeal to the American palate and IMHO the added sweetness ruins the flavor.
Now this is a mustard post I can learn something from.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
That French's Yellow stuff is to mustard what Budweiser (or Heineneken ) is to beer.

I mean, it may meet some legal definition of 'mustard' but yellow ketchup... meh. :huh:

Dijon is fair enough, but the real thing is Coleman's English Mustard.
Good on a burger, roast beef, and ham too - mix with mayonnaise too to give it some oomph. (Do not spread on as thickly as the American 'mustard' though).

I'd just like to point out that mayonnaise with chips/french fries is great (ask a Dutchman or Belgian) so a mayo/coleman's mix would be gangsta, and next time you go to a Five Guys try the Malt vinegar and salt on your chips (a la Anglaise :D)... I mean the main flavour from that Heinz red stuff is vinegar, after all.:duck:

Mind you, this is all from a British heretic.

And p.s. We do also have a bottle of this in our fridge

81l9oZTLq5L._SL1500_.jpg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
If the mustard in your yellow bottle comes out brown you probably should not eat it! You should look at the expiration date and realize it's been in your trailer for quite some time living through sub-freezing to over 100° temperatures and is no longer technically a condiment, let alone a food.
Umm, the stuff that comes out of a yellow bottle was never a condiment, let alone a food.

Amusing story-ette from my yoof. I had just gone to work in Bermuda and was living in a house with some strange creatures (to me at the time) a/k/a Americans. Over time we began to understand each other, but at first there were a number of mis-understandings. I bought some Colmans English mustard and one weekend morning we had sausages. One of the guys, Norm (who surprisingly as it may seem is now a life-long friend) coated his sausage as if with the weird French's bottle stuff, i.e. extremely copiously. I started to say something but too late - the @Bob Barnes scenario mentioned previously was already underway ...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That French's Yellow stuff is to mustard what Budweiser (or Heineneken ) is to beer.
I m not to proud to say I like a ice cold Bud can on a blistering summer day.
639cf8ccec613ab7383b9c08389bb2d6.jpg

2-3 gulps and its gone.

Après Skier

Skier
To be honest, American yellow mustard is an underrated and misunderstood condiment. The bright yellow color and distinctive flavor come from the addition of the antioxidant superfood: turmeric.

James

Out There
Instructor
To be honest, American yellow mustard is an underrated and misunderstood condiment. The bright yellow color and distinctive flavor come from the addition of the antioxidant superfood: turmeric.
Interesting!
Still putting it in the crap bin, though it moves out of the incinerator hopper due to it’s color is natural.

I’ve spent way too much time with French people who only make salad dressing with mustard. It gets old fast.

Après Skier

Skier
I’ve spent way too much time with French people who only make salad dressing with mustard. It gets old fast.
If you are accustomed to American style salad dressing I can see why the European style might seem boring... it’s a different approach. The French, Italians, and Germans all basically do the same thing: they whip-up very simple dressings themselves (not pre-mixed) with the goal to enhance the flavor of the lettuce. Americans tend to prefer heavier and more pungent dressings to mask the flavor of the lettuce. We probably inherited this from the English who have been using pre-made Salad Cream since the Victorian Era.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Ok we love Maille Truffle Mustards

But we also love Schwartz's Deli Mustard

Last but not least we also like President's Choice Horseradish Dijon

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting!
Still putting it in the crap bin, though it moves out of the incinerator hopper due to it’s color is natural.

My dad lived in France during college so I grew up with this dressing on every salad that I ate in his home.

James

Out There
Instructor
My dad lived in France during college so I grew up with this dressing on every salad that I ate in his home.
Abominable.
If you are accustomed to American style salad dressing I can see why the European style might seem boring... it’s a different approach. The French, Italians, and Germans all basically do the same thing: they whip-up very simple dressings themselves (not pre-mixed) with the goal to enhance the flavor of the lettuce. Americans tend to prefer heavier and more pungent dressings to mask the flavor of the lettuce. We probably inherited this from the English who have been using pre-made Salad Cream since the Victorian Era.
I don’t know about the enhancing the lettuce part. I just taste mustard. Everytime. Might we branch out? No, bridge too far.
As to the other, any dressing that isn’t at least translucent is, to me, ghastly.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Harolds Deli FTW:
b0cf759defe21e2394e8c97277f53dfe.jpg
When was the last time you were in Harold's Deli? We (my wife and I) like Harold's in EDISON NJ. The one in North Jersey is not as good.

Sponsor

Staff online