• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

North American Ski Travel in the Post-Covid World

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If the only thing we can come up with is something in Quebec, seems like it’s rare.
It's Quebec, not Kamchatka. Not that far a reach from northern New England. And the lines are much shorter at that lift IME.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Airline stocks are SOARING with the relaxation of COVID restrictions. However, fuel prices are also SOARING. How this translates to ski travel expenses is TBD but probably not great...

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
How are lines at the Kennebec lift? I never ventured up there on my trip to Saddleback.

Of course, it was wicked cold, and there weren't lift lines most of the time we were there.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@dovski is without a doubt a plant from the Canadian Tourism Board ;)
For those of you who hiked Highlands Bowl last week at the Gathering in Aspen, you may appreciate the Sunshine Village equivalent. Not as much hiking but IMHO a little more extreme. This is also a good reason to bring your avi gear if you ski Banff as you cannot access the gate without a beacon, probe and shovel.

Lake Louise also has some pretty epic terrain, some of the best in North America and it is all easily accessed off the lift.

Bottom line is that those of you who really want to get your ski on have access to some exceptional terrain without the need to hike for more than 5 minutes. And for those of you who don't there is tons of mellower terrain for all skiing levels. The best part is that in the Spring there are little to no lift lines. So you also get lots and lots of runs in. Luckily for those of you who need some extra recovery after a 30K vert day, there are numerous spas and natural hot springs in Banff.

Did I mention that there is a ton of non ski stuff to do in Banff as well. In fact more people travel to the Banff Lake Louise area for this than the skiing. Here are the top 20

Last but not least some of you may say hey, I don't want some cheap janky Canadian ski experience. Give me the Aspen prices please. We've got you covered there too. Banff is home to the world famous Banff Springs Hotel, Chateau Lake Louise and a host of other ultra luxury resorts. If you want to stay somewhere and bump into celebrities and the global elite all while staying in a European style castle this your ticket

So this is all just a taste of what the Banff Lake Louise area has to offer, but you really need to experience this for yourself and this is something you can do on a relatively reasonable budget as compared to other skis destinations. Here is a break down of my families (5 of us) upcoming Spring Vacation in Banff to give you a real sense of the cost:
  • Airfare - normally about $300 roundtrip per person, but we used points so total cost for all 5 of us was about $250k
  • Hotel - we are staying at the Moose Hotel in their rooftop 2 bedroom suite from April 1-9. Total cost with tax is about $300 US per night, but we splurged on this, Banff Rocky Mountain Resort was under $200 US a night. There are also some budget hotels where you can book rooms for under $100/night.
  • Rental Car worked out to about $500 US for a Yukon XLT for the duration of our stay, which is actually cheaper than roundtrip shuttle to and from Banff. Once in Banff their are free buses that go from all major hotels to the three local mountains and free shuttles from Tunnel Mountain to downtown Banff. We like to stay in Banff because it is fun to walk through the town and everything you need is right there, so a car is not necessary if staying in Banff or Lake Louise, though it is need to for sight seeing or driving to some of the mountains outside the Banff areas like Nakiska, Kicking Horse or Revelstoke
  • Meals - lots of accommodations have full kitchens so you can absolutely do your own cooking, but there are also a ton of great restaurants with reasonable prices in the Banff area and meals on the ski hill also do not break the bank. There are also some exceptional restaurants for those who want an amazing culinary experience, and that you will pay for but still great value for what it is. Our personal favorite place is Grizzly House
  • Lift tickets - We get 7 days free with our Mountain Collective Pass across Sunshing, Lake Louise and Norquay, 9 if we include Revelstoke. All these resorts are also covered by the IKON pass. For those who do not have a multi-resort pass, you can buy discounted lift tickets through AAA in Calgary, but there are also some great deals through SkiBig3 where you can get some great package deals. As an FYI we always book our hotels early through them and get a 45% Mountain Collective discount.
So just scratching the tip of the iceberg here and likely selling past the close, but for those that are interested I hope you enjoy. And for those who want to hold the next Gathering in Banff, lobby

I think he's just volunteeres himself as Asst. Gathermeister

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first time up Castlerock I was 15 and an intermediate. I fell a lot.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Back when our kid was young, we ski vacationed with another family with similar aged kids. The Mom was the good skier in that family, so we went to ski some interesting trails once the kids were worn out for the day. Halfway down Castlerock she told me "it's a good thing we aren't married, because we would be getting a divorce!"

James

Out There
Instructor
It's Quebec, not Kamchatka. Not that far a reach from northern New England. And the lines are much shorter at that lift IME.
Well when we couldn’t go there for a year it was less accessible then Kamchatka.

Score: 1 lift that accounts for .05% of Ski Talker rides. I would like to go to MSA to increase the percentage.
This is like recommending some Swiss wine in the US. Almost no one can get it. (Ooh, out on a limb with that one, but I think it’s valid)

The blues on Castlerock do not start from the top.

View attachment 162515
I guess relative to the rest it’s a blue. I thought Troll Road started from the top. The sign used to be up there.
Some years ago I went to Sugarbush with a friend who was up and a couple other people. It’s my friend’s first day of the season, he’ll ski at most six days. He’s told me “no moguls”.

So we do a couple runs at the bottom, then head to Castle Rock. Why? I guess that’s just what you do. I have a vague idea of Castle rock. Very vague. So on the lift I’m on with a 19 yr old ski bum. We’re discussing the conditions, the trails. He’s loving Middle Earth.

Get to the top, my friends want to take Troll Road. Of course I talk them out of it for Middle Earth. The wide flatish beginning is great, like 8 inches of chopped up powder. Oh, this was a good choice! Then it starts to narrow, get a bit steeper, some moguls. Still good. Until it becomes the true Middle Earth. Narrow, huge bumps, rocks. Had I consulted a trail map, I would’ve found out there’s no way out other than on the trail. No connecting, easier trails. I didn’t know that yet, I kept expecting something to show up.

So my friend is stuck on this very advanced, narrow bump run salted with rocks. Took me 45 minutes to get him down. All he wanted was “no moguls”.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
James is co-founder of the Ministry of Bad Ideas...

I truly hope no intermediate rides Castlerock lift up...

Each time my son and I ski past the bottom of the Castlerock lift I say roughly the same thing: "when you're ready"

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is no toll road. You are thinking of Okemo. Kidding You can't get down from top of Castlerock without skiing a mile of moguls. And bailing on Troll Road is just cheating. Plus as long as you skied the top it ain't any harder after that.
Well when we couldn’t go there for a year it was less accessible then Kamchatka.

Score: 1 lift that accounts for .05% of Ski Talker rides. I would like to go to MSA to increase the percentage.
This is like recommending some Swiss wine in the US. Almost no one can get it. (Ooh, out on a limb with that one, but I think it’s valid)

I guess relative to the rest it’s a blue. I thought Troll Road started from the top. The sign used to be up there.
Some years ago I went to Sugarbush with a friend who was up and a couple other people. It’s my friend’s first day of the season, he’ll ski at most six days. He’s told me “no moguls”.

So we do a couple runs at the bottom, then head to Castle Rock. Why? I guess that’s just what you do. I have a vague idea of Castle rock. Very vague. So on the lift I’m on with a 19 yr old ski bum. We’re discussing the conditions, the trails. He’s loving Middle Earth.

Get to the top, my friends want to take Troll Road. Of course I talk them out of it for Middle Earth. The wide flatish beginning is great, like 8 inches of chopped up powder. Oh, this was a good choice! Then it starts to narrow, get a bit steeper, some moguls. Still good. Until it becomes the true Middle Earth. Narrow, huge bumps, rocks. Had I consulted a trail map, I would’ve found out there’s no way out other than on the trail. No connecting, easier trails. I didn’t know that yet, I kept expecting something to show up.

So my friend is stuck on this very advanced, narrow bump run salted with rocks. Took me 45 minutes to get him down.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alaska Air award travel from Reno to Calgary is very doable, I learned last night.

Kamchatka is truly a PITA to reach in the winter, no connection through Japan. A Seattle friend had to fly through Europe to get there a few years ago. No doubt it’s even harder now.

I skied Lake Louise after our Whistler gathering, another low vis day. Definitely would love to return to the area again with hope of seeing its full glory.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Prior to Covid one of the US airlines where flying winter season direct flights LAX to Kelowna B.C.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Now for those of you who are planning to visit Canada it is important that you do not confuse Poutine, a beloved Canadian delicacy with Putin. Apparently our friends in France have some confusion around this and have been threatening Poutine restaurants in France. To be clear Poutine may very well be the perfect ski food and no ski trip to Canada will be complete without eating it at least once. It also pairs well with a variety of bevarages - milk for breakfast, hot coco during that afternoon snack and of course Canadian Whiskey chasers après ski :)

Sponsor

Staff online