• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

North American Ski Travel in the Post-Covid World

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Alaska Air award travel from Reno to Calgary is very doable, I learned last night.

Kamchatka is truly a PITA to reach in the winter, no connection through Japan. A Seattle friend had to fly through Europe to get there a few years ago. No doubt it’s even harder now.

I skied Lake Louise after our Whistler gathering, another low vis day. Definitely would love to return to the area again with hope of seeing its full glory.
@Rainbow Jenny and there is zero chance of me loosing your ski straps in Canada :doh: But they do have good cookies and pastries in Banff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stop with the food. You're killing me.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No. I don't think so. And if it involves butter and sugar I don't want to.
Not that complicated. Dov borrowed Jenny's strap to hike Highland bowl, but lost it (and some other things) when he missed his pocket putting it away. He bought Jenny multiple cookies at lunch to make amends.

The cookies were good enough that I'm pretty sure they involved LOTS of butter and sugar.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not sure Poutine should be called a delicacy.

Hoping La Maison de la Poutine in Paris is better than McD’s there.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Not sure Poutine should be called a delicacy.

Hoping La Maison de la Poutine in Paris is better than McD’s there.
@James Sacre Bleu!! The mere fact that you included Poutine and McD's in the same sentence may be enough to get you banned from entering Canada. Poutine is a national treasure and culinary delight, the fact that it clogs your arteries and could actually kill you is really besides the point lol :roflmao:

James

Out There
Instructor
@James Sacre Bleu!! The mere fact that you included Poutine and McD's in the same sentence may be enough to get you banned from entering Canada. Poutine is a national treasure and culinary delight, the fact that it clogs your arteries and could actually kill you is really besides the point lol :roflmao:
Well in France I said I was from South Canada.

What’s this Nat’l thing? It’s Quebec, no?
Jambalaya isn’t National.

James

Out There
Instructor
You are on a roll with the heresies tonight.
My restaurant will serve Poutine and BBQ. But you can’t just have one. Eat in, no take out, no cheating. We throw you out.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Even in Quebec I don't think I've seen Poutine at Mickey D's. Best is food truck.

@scott43 , I'm the only one in my generation that can make Scottish Shortbread like Grandma...and yeah...4 ingredients. Hardest thing to find right now is paper bags to cook the cookies on..

Here in B.C. where many coastal communities have banned plastic grocery bags and other plastic shopping bags, paper bags have increased in use and availability. While it is Asia, not B.C. that is the origin of plastic bags in the Pacific Ocean, the politicians in B.C. have deduced that if they prevent plastic bags from being used and subsequently buried in land fills, it will keep plastic bags from entering the ocean. :huh:

B.C. logging companies and pulp and paper mills don't mind the increased demand for paper bags and Glad and Zip-Lok don't mind the plastic grocery bag ban either because wherever it occurs there is a subsequent up tick in the sale their of Kitchen Catcher plastic bags.:ogbiggrin:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jambalaya isn’t National.
Correct, but it's more than Louisiana. Cajuns settled along the Gulf Coast into Texas, but I'm not sure if they made it into Mississippi. Any Ski Talkers there to comment?

I made a batch earlier this season with Andouille sausage from this place outside San Antonio, still have some links in the freezer for another batch. There are a lot of smokehouses and breweries (Shiner) in the Texas hill country started by German, Czech, and other immigrants. My mom's family was German and a little Portuguese.

https://www.dziuks.com/

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If I had known when I started this thread that y'all were going to torture me with yummy food anecdotes I might have held off.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If I had known when I started this thread that y'all were going to torture me with yummy food anecdotes I might have held off.
@Tony S, you need to ski Whitewater, B.C. because not only does it get the most snow of any resort in Canada, Ski Canada Magazine once declared Whitewater to have the Best Cafeteria Food in Ski Country. Nearby town of Nelson is known as the Hippie Capital of Canada (both young and old hippies) and Whitewater has the type of food that these folks enjoy. In fact folks from Nelson have been known on occasion to drive the 20min to Whitewater to go just for lunch, not to ski.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S, you need to ski Whitewater, B.C. because not only does it get the most snow of any resort in Canada, Ski Canada Magazine once declared Whitewater to have the Best Cafeteria Food in Ski Country. Nearby town of Nelson is known as the Hippie Capital of Canada (both young and old hippies) and Whitewater has the type of food that these folks enjoy. In fact folks from Nelson have been known on occasion to drive the 20min to Whitewater to go just for lunch, not to ski.
It was already on my bucket list.

Sponsor

Staff online