• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Obsolete Ski Models Better Than New?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was a big fan of the Volant Machete series skis (Sin, Soul, FB). Nothing I've skied since is able to duplicate the feel of those metal beauties. Of course, they were also the skis that gave me my first taste of rocker/early tip rise; although not part of the original ski design! They liked to bend and sometimes stay that way... ;)
Yes, I have said numerous times (one way or another) that Volant was the illegitimate father of tip rocker. I was also a Volant fan back in the day, I bet though if we got on a pair today, we would think, "How did we ever skis these, what dogs...".

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yes, I have said numerous times (one way or another) that Volant was the illegitimate father of tip rocker. I was also a Volant fan back in the day, I bet though if we got on a pair today, we would think, "How did we ever skis these, what dogs...".
I don't know about other models but mine were heavy, that is probably what made them so good in the crud.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I don't know about other models but mine were heavy, that is probably what made them so good in the crud.

Oh yeah, the FB (aka the "Fat Bastard") was my "go to" crud buster for years. That ski literally would blow throw almost anything in its path. If you had any kind of lengthy walk from your car to the lodge, you would have to switch shoulders multiple times on the way because they were just so heavy...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Other than some of the last entry level skis that were not metal skis, they all were heavy. It was more the metal that made them great crud busters.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Heavy, fairly stiff and mid-twenties side-cut radius. I own 2002 190 Machete G. It's like an easy buttun in heavy crud. Too skinny and not enough (none in 2002) rocker to be as fun as modern wide rocker ski in deep soft snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I own these and I haven’t found anything I like better. The Rustler 9 is similar but not better. Have you found anything that compares?
Owned the Rustler 9 and it’s a bit like the Venturi 95 in soft snow but not as heavy or as deep of a sidecut.
When the Line Blade first came out, I thought “that’s an even more extreme Venturi 95” that is also a blast in similar conditions.
Black Crows Mirus Cor another somewhat similar concept but narrower, lighter and with a swallow tail.

I’m on 21 Faction CT skis now that have very little taper like the Venturi, a similar weight but a stiffer overall flex and more of a “wide GS” shape vs the “wide SL” shape of the Venturi 95.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
IMO, the Volkl Snow Ranger still rules the cut up crud....heavy and a lot of work though; which is why they haven't left the shed in about a decade and these days I mostly leave the crud for others. ogsmile

Simonsays

Booting up
Skier
Head XRC 1200. The wood core, proper sandwich construction ones. Supposedly geared up for ski cross but they are actually pretty soft tip. Totally flat topsheet with fake head intelligence graphics painted on. Ahead of their time if you look at the sidecut profile it's very close to the current cheater GS skis but this was in 2006! I don't think the subsequent models were anything like as good.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January