• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ongoing bike shortage article.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd be fine on the large. Just do it, even if you treat it as an XC / fire road bike.
Can I have that as a written permission slip, signed and notarized, to my "financial advisor"? Or, better yet, a doctor's prescription? :roflmao:

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Wheat Ridge Cyclery is one of the shops that has/had a few bikes. My friend bought from them and was extremely pleased with the customer service and their willingness to help tweak a few parts/components. :thumb:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Any high end bikes (and there have only been a few) have been sold long before they arrive. Specialized only lets us know what is coming within the next 45 days. I have 2 bikes coming in that time period. The Stumpjumper Comp was ordered the day they released the new models. I sold it three weeks ago when it was supposed to be here by the 6th. Now they moved the date to the 30th, so that will be one upset customer. The other bike I have arriving is a 24" that was a birthday gift for someone back in September. That date was changed so many times that I refunded the deposit to the customer back in January. That one didn't upset me as much since I sold it at the $400 price at the time and it has since gone up to $500. I would have made nothing.

I also sell Jamis and while I've received 45 bikes from them in the past 2 months, none are were over $700 and half were kid's bikes. They give no idea if or when anything else might come so I can't pre-sell them. But, since they are cheap, they gone within a week.
I haven't asked, but I have a suspicion that most of the bikes that have come in here are the under $700 Marlins, and maybe some Roscoes. I had someone approach me about my already-sold 2020 bike asking if she could buy it because she placed an order for a 2021 and it was 400 days out!

I believe it's the components and not the frames that are logjamming things. Dear God please do not let anything break on my bike this year! I've been very lucky that way, but I'm also not super hard on my bikes. Lots of rock gardens and a few pops off jumps here and there but that's the extent of abuse my bike takes.

Anyone know of Shimano chains were out faster than SRAM? XT vs. Eagle GX? If so, I'll probably get a backup chain on order.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
a 2021 and it was 400 days out
Wow. You get a brand new bike that's already dated by one season. That can't be good.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sorry, just realized that I typed the wrong pad number in to my post earlier.. been staring at pad numbers for too long it seems. SLX 7120 takes N04C, N03A, D02S, or D03S pads. Still looks like no one online has them but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing at least one of those on the rack at my local shop. Otherwise I ordered some aftermarket ceramic pads from MTXbrakes this morning, they worked well in my fat bike over the winter.

Such a headache for me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
What good is a car if you don't have gas for it?
Same thing!
Hoarding gas for the apocalypse is problematic as it has a much shorter shelf life. StaBil only lasts a couple years. Much better off hoarding bikes. They will hold their value better long term.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Hoarding gas for the apocalypse is problematic as it has a much shorter shelf life. StaBil only lasts a couple years. Much better off hoarding bikes. They will hold their value better long term.

Ammo lasts many decades if properly stored.
What do you call a rifle without ammo?

A club

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ammo lasts many decades if properly stored.
What do you call a rifle without ammo?

You didn't say that.. You said a car without gas. Gas was cheap and readily availableduring the pandemic. Bikes not so much. Regardless, I have more than enough of everything discussed. As for gas.. Just convert the vehicle to run on french fry grease instead.

You know those Mad Max movies really missed the mark. In that climate they'd be fighting over water, not gas..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know of Shimano chains were out faster than SRAM? XT vs. Eagle GX? If so, I'll probably get a backup chain on order.

XT chains are good to go.

GX not so much.

The only upgrade I did to my FEX was GX chain to XO1.

IMO, do it now, before that cheap GX chain starts chewing up your cogs when it wears prematurely.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
XT chains are good to go.

GX not so much.

The only upgrade I did to my FEX was GX chain to XO1.

IMO, do it now, before that cheap GX chain starts chewing up your cogs when it wear prematurely.
I’m running XT :)

Sponsor