• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Personal ski videos

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve been following the Southern Hemisphere season. Looks amazing! Where are you teaching?

Daron Rahlves posted a similar Instagram video to your 2nd one this morning where he ends up in a race course after the chute.
I am actually based in Remarkables NZ this winter, but a client invited me to Portillo for a few weeks. Definitely the best snow here since 2016.

Haha yeah that line of Daron's was great, it's always a fun week when that camp is here.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
My younger son's second day on the snow (he will turn 4 in February):

He's been coming to the hill pretty much since he was born, wandering around the base lodge, playing snowballs, watching his older brother ski, etc.. Now his time to ski has finally come.

P.S. Sorry for the weird format of the video; Instagram kept posting it upside down unless I cropped it and used the portrait mode.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
GHP010623 handle youtube.com/@davids1586, Heavenly Ski Resort, 12:41pm Wednesday 12/21/2022, length 10 minutes 52 seconds. David S leisurely continuously skiing 2000 vertical feet from 9500 to 7500, down groomed Olympic Downhill run from East Peak via the Olympic Express lift. Voiced audio along way with text descriptions of elevations and trail junctions. Adobe Premiere Elements 2021 processed.

SSSdave

Skier
https://youtu.be/VIUaBnHFyn4

Cropped out of GHP010617b timeline for just the top section, repeated 3 times. View focused on the frame center at 2/3 height that is always where my eyes are looking at that will be the next turn locations. Sway one's upper body/head left and right synchronizing to both visual turns and sound of ski edges making turns and one can then lock into my same visual. Another way to watch is just the motion of my shadow to feel the dynamic smooth rocking back and forth flow from turn to turn.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
https://youtu.be/VIUaBnHFyn4

Cropped out of GHP010617b timeline for just the top section, repeated 3 times. View focused on the frame center at 2/3 height that is always where my eyes are looking at that will be the next turn locations. Sway one's upper body/head left and right synchronizing to both visual turns and sound of ski edges making turns and one can then lock into my same visual. Another way to watch is just the motion of my shadow to feel the dynamic smooth rocking back and forth flow from turn to turn.
I really like your consistent turns & speed control.
This video is a good length, anything longer than a couple minutes of head cam & I would lose interest.
The problem with GoPro footage is that it never really shows the steepness or the size of those bumps. Having skied that run some a few weeks ago, I can attest that it is a leg burner!

SSSdave

Skier
Skiing bumps more slowly for this youthful octogenarian senior is highly visual like a fun intense video game or pinball machine game with plenty of dynamic rhythmic rebounding visceral enjoyment. Why have been fun addicted for decades. In all ways, as earth creature entities, we become what we do and experience, especially when repeated to become what we are. It requires tactfully from one's visual brain executive control pilot, making more precisely located slightly relaxed turns on bumps so one's ski plane angles given a seated balanced forward direct fall line attack stacked body position, better matches and synchronizes naturally with perpendicular angles to continuously bump to bump varying inclined concave turn snow surfaces.

Once one gains confidence on that attack angle and recognizes inner balance feelings of the inner skier through much repetition gaining neural plasticity, it is easy to almost blindly move through atop any facet of mogul structure locations on small to medium sized well formed bumps. The "slightly relaxed" comment alludes to what Lito Tejada-Flores wrote about decades ago as an ability to slightly relax one's back during parts of each turn that also allows better upper to lower body separation, balance, and staying power to descend longer distances.

Last edited:

SSSdave

Skier
David RUN3 at 12:08pm December 21, 2022 length 3:40. This third run is on the more shaded steeper skier's right that I had skied all day two days before on Tuesday in rather flat cloudy light where the dark trees provide better defined illumination. This demonstrates how I can readily contend looking down large steep bumps that have familiar facets my visual system has normalized to.

4 stops over 5 stretches down 570 feet at 54+30+26+10+20 turns equals 120 total turns. 120/570 = 4.75 respectable for a bump slope average vertical feet per turn though as @4ster noted, the GoPro8 SuperView wide viewing angle mode of 147 degrees, in the video makes the vertical less steep than it is in person. Note Little Dipper is convex, less steep at the top, gradually steeping, terraced below with some curving fall lines.

As I've suggested before, because of my near eye location helmet mount, focus on the video window mid frame at two-thirds frame height and one will soon lock into where I am always looking at to make following turns. By keeping one's hands up like one might be holding ski poles in front of one's monitor that may also synchronize to the upbeat rapid turn dynamic swaying head and body left right left right...

Also RUN1 my first bump run that morning and RUN 2 that were skied on the less steep less terraced skier's left sunny side.

Last edited:

SSSdave

Skier
There are very few GoPro POV skiers on this web board. I hope my occasional videos herein motivate some others to add a POV video camera to their own skiing as I have found it considerably more valuable than I expected when I bought the system in the late winter of 2021. Repeatedly viewing turning at home actually helps one's neural plasticity formation of occipital visual to motor control brain system before actual skiing. To set up a POV system really isn't difficult technically. Please ask me any questions about set up and use.

Key to that skiing use is helmet mounting not at the usual centered top but rather at the front of a helmet's brim so it has an unobstructed view down towards one's ski shovels. The GoPro8 1080p SuperView 140 degree angle of view setting works well for including both part of my skis plus approaching terrain, though makes slopes appear much less steep than one's eyes see, objects appear at much further distance, with skiing speed faster. Note I use the non-pro Adobe Premeire Elements 2021 application to process the raw GoPro files that I quite recommend. It reduces file sizes to about one-tenth, allowing trimming of dead space as after I stop to rest, image, music, and annotations. Also important is capture during a day period with sunny conditions showing good snow surface detail, especially with a complementary to the side of one's direction body shadow.

I mostly ski recreational bumps because it is about the most fun viscerally exhilarating physical motion activity possible for we intelligent Earth monkeys. Something only possible for we lucky one's now living during this modern era and something I'd bet other alien entities in our universe also enjoy. The below is my second run down Little Dipper last Thursday morning my day 14 this winter. From my web page at:

youtube.com/@davids1586

David on 2/9/2023 at 11:19am at Heavenly skiing bumps down Little Dipper left at 9470 to 9080 over 2 stops with 99 turns then after traversing through Aries Woods, groomed Jacks therapeutic groomed... "Old Man's Spa" from 9000 to 8880.
GoPro8 1080p SuperView front helmet mount, akGH010719 3 minutes 7 seconds. Three ways to watch:
1. To sync to David's visual eye turning perspective, look at the center frame snow surface ahead at 2/3 height.
2. To feel the smooth flow, only watch David's quiet upper body shadow.
3. To view the ski edging, only watch the center frame bottom edged ski on each turn as he steps left right left, pressuring the Santa Ana's balanced under boot center flex throughout his turns for an even dynamic rebound, thus not a 2-footed ski sliding mogul style.

-----------------

To view on your local computer, the considerably better original much larger 138.3 megabyte video file versus the severely compressed Youtube version, download for free without an account from this below WeTransfer.com link that will send files to one's Download folder:

Last edited:

SSSdave

Skier
It’s been a good season so far…
Really like your above Race Start video. Great location with an outstanding downward view of a vast untracked basin. Wonderful consistent rebounding round S turns that is reflected in your consistent body bilateral positions one feels internally as a repeatable dynamic rhythm. Skiing like that delivers a supreme visceral powder feeling.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Really like your above Race Start video. Great location with an outstanding downward view of a vast untracked basin. Wonderful consistent rebounding round S turns that is reflected in your consistent body bilateral positions one feels internally as a repeatable dynamic rhythm. Skiing like that delivers a supreme visceral powder feeling.
Glad you like it!
Just glad to be able to get out & enjoy the mountains on such a stellar day. :)

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20230228_132737.jpg

They tell you where to do the obvious when you reach the top and look down.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how much you can MA this, but here’s a run from my Saturday morning.

I don't know about MA but excellent song choice! The floooowwww...

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
You must know the Ski Essentials guys!

Sponsor

Staff online