• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plug Boots with Gripwalk

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Gripwalk will win (actually we already won) like Boa in boots will win. We are the lowest common denominator. Corporations bow down to our "needs".

Thus, more race boots come will come with Gripwalk option. Maybe next year, all of them will come with GW option LOL.

As @onenerdykid says: true racing boots - i.e. plugs - won't switch to GW anytime soon. There's no need, no call, and the amount of customization that happens to these boots calls for solid lugs.

Look at the newest plug boot design out there - the Nordica Dobermann RD5 - and it's still a solid lug sole. Sure, it's DIN compliant out of the box (a rarity for a plug) but most will still be planed and canted (as mine have been). The sole plates are included in the box and they aren't GW.

To those who truly need plug boots (and 99.99% of skiers categorically do not need them, IMHO) they know that GW isn't something to assume is there. Yes, with some massive hacker play they can be fitted with GW plates but... why?

Coaches I know who need GW tend to go with a consumer level boot, or even an AT boot with proper walk function and lugged soles. Racers who want GW will have a pair of "slippers" - i.e. non-plug boots - for their playtime.

NB: the reason I still ski in plugs as a coach is that my feet were shaped by plugs as a young racer and my forefoot is 91mm wide. Pretty much any consumer boot is wide to me, even with customization. The Atomic Hawx Ultra is really close to a good fit for me, and I think there's promise there should I want a "slipper" boot.

But right now it's the plugs - the Atomic TI130 and Nordica Dobermann RD5 - that fulfill my needs.

As far as the sole cover issue is concerned: I'll track mine on the snow for a bit before they are taken off. They live in heavy-gauge Ziploc bags or cable locked to a ski rack when not in use. All good. YOLO.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
As @onenerdykid says: true racing boots - i.e. plugs - won't switch to GW anytime soon. There's no need, no call, and the amount of customization that happens to these boots calls for solid lugs.

Look at the newest plug boot design out there - the Nordica Dobermann RD5 - and it's still a solid lug sole. Sure, it's DIN compliant out of the box (a rarity for a plug) but most will still be planed and canted (as mine have been). The sole plates are included in the box and they aren't GW.

To those who truly need plug boots (and 99.99% of skiers categorically do not need them, IMHO) they know that GW isn't something to assume is there. Yes, with some massive hacker play they can be fitted with GW plates but... why?

Coaches I know who need GW tend to go with a consumer level boot, or even an AT boot with proper walk function and lugged soles. Racers who want GW will have a pair of "slippers" - i.e. non-plug boots - for their playtime.

NB: the reason I still ski in plugs as a coach is that my feet were shaped by plugs as a young racer and my forefoot is 91mm wide. Pretty much any consumer boot is wide to me, even with customization. The Atomic Hawx Ultra is really close to a good fit for me, and I think there's promise there should I want a "slipper" boot.

But right now it's the plugs - the Atomic TI130 and Nordica Dobermann RD5 - that fulfill my needs.

As far as the sole cover issue is concerned: I'll track mine on the snow for a bit before they are taken off. They live in heavy-gauge Ziploc bags or cable locked to a ski rack when not in use. All good. YOLO.
LOL it was just a piss take of course there's no way a brand "would Gripwalk" a whole racing line.

Although, I would be happy if each brand would throw us "ambitious skiers" a bone with one (or two) models in each racing line given a Gripwalk option.

For the ambitious skier (trademark).

James

Out There
Instructor
Thread derail, and not to be mean, but is your friend… good at horseback riding?

Body position on a horse isn’t dissimilar from skiing and the heels down is a cue to keep your weight centered over your mid-foot. Hips and heels line up, shoulders knees toes line up. That way upper/lower body can move independently and you’re positioned to make quick corrections in balance.
Heh, that’s why I said allegedly. I think it’s the interpretation of heels down. Or who knows. There’s a whole story of why things are done the way they are. There’s constant over terraining too, to keep up. In the end, it’s good enough for a few days.

Yeah, she was pretty good. Good enough to have a horse fall on her and break a bunch of stuff. She gave it up for years after that. She did eventing afaik besides the show stuff.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Although, I would be happy if each brand would throw us "ambitious skiers" a bone with one (or two) models in each racing line given a Gripwalk option.
This relies on a fallacy that has been extended through multiple threads. You seem to view “plug” boots as the “best” boots in a line, thus any “ambitious” skier would want them. As others have said many times, they are specific boots for a specific fit and specific purpose that 99.99% of the skiing population does not need. There are plenty of boots for ambitious skiers that already come with GW.

This is akin to asking an auto manufacturer to put heated seats and room for your golf clubs in a track car. No reason, they have plenty of other models that fit that need.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This relies on a fallacy that has been extended through multiple threads. You seem to view “plug” boots as the “best” boots in a line, thus any “ambitious” skier would want them. As others have said many times, they are specific boots for a specific fit and specific purpose that 99.99% of the skiing population does not need. There are plenty of boots for ambitious skiers that already come with GW.

But, but, but... They told me the plug boots are the stiffest and narrowest boot out there. They got to be the best. I gotta have the best. Even though I have never skied before. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Geez, sounds like foot-binding! Would make you desirable as a concubine.:roflmao:

There are a lot of ex-racers who feel like they were foot binding subjects, myself included. ;)

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled

This is akin to asking an auto manufacturer to put heated seats and room for your golf clubs in a track car. No reason, they have plenty of other models that fit that need.
But there are track cars that give an option for heated seats though right? Or at least after market.

Can't imagine Scandi and Canuck track dayers freezing their ass off just to extract every gram of weight saving on a track car.

Point is there's always a reason for the non-pro, consumer class shoppers to compromise on something for the sake of convenience even as they chase performance.

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Well they did make my C6. ;)

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
But, but, but... They told me the plug boots are the stiffest and narrowest boot out there. They got to be the best. I gotta have the best. Even though I have never skied before. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
That's no longer true though. Maybe 10, 20 years ago. Plugs have been offered in medium 95-98 lasts and soft flexes for a few years now. Even WC racers use medium flex boots now from a podcast that geepers linked if I remember correctly.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's no longer true though. Maybe 10, 20 years ago. Plugs have been offered in medium 95-98 lasts and soft flexes for a few years now. Even WC racers use medium flex boots now from a podcast that geepers linked if I remember correctly.

Sure thing.
You do you. No need to convince me. I know what my requirements are.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Sure thing.
You do you. No need to convince me. I know what my requirements are.
LOL ok. I wasn't trying to convince you. Just pointing out the error in your statement.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL ok. I wasn't trying to convince you. Just pointing out the error in your statement.

Some of us speak from experience and some pull BS out of thin air.

Get thee in a plug boot and tell me again about my error.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Some of us speak from experience and some pull BS out of thin air.

Get thee in a plug boot and tell me again about my error.
Uh oh I feel a "come to Taos and ski with me!" challenge coming up.

Guess I'm gonna have to fire up the private jet in anticipation of flying to Taos any moment now.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Uh oh I feel a "come to Taos and ski with me!" challenge coming up.

Guess I'm gonna have to fire up the private jet in anticipation of flying to Taos any moment now.

Don't need to come to Taos. You'll never survive the mountains anyway.
Just get a 150 plug boot. Ski on it for 25 day and call me back.

TS
R

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Don't need to come to Taos. You'll never survive the mountains anyway.
Just get a 150 plug boot. Ski on it for 25 day and call me back.

Whew! Thank you Grump!

I was really dreading the challenge and having to uproot myself and cancel my short term plans and spend an inordinate amount of money to fly there just to appease you, an internet stranger. How considerate of you!

MNskier

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't want to wear plug boots anymore, but I do want to use FIS skis occasionally, meaning non-gripwalk compatible bindings. I'd consider GW boots, but can't because of the binding situation on FIS skis. I don't like carrying catracks around just because it's just more stuff to deal with, but I do. I'd consider two pairs of boots, but that seems like an even bigger pain, although I wouldn't mind some coaching boots with some extra room, walk mode, and GW. But I can't see myself ever really skiing in those, just coaching/instructing (there is no skinning around where I live).

Sponsor

Staff online