• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

peter826

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
An update, I am now 8 months post op. Things are much the same as two months ago, just gradually getting better. I have full range of motion. I can kneel on the repaired knee with no pain. In fact, I was kneeling on it today cleaning the floor and I realized I had sat back on my heels -- something my physical therapist said I might never be able to do. Sort of surprised me.

I do still have some minor discomfort on stairs -- not really pain, just doesn't feel quite right, still a tad weak. The last few weeks, it has gotten much better. I can go up without the handrail, and also down if I concentrate. I've done a little hiking and going up and down hills feels pretty weird. I live in a very flat area, so I don't get much practice with that.

I haven't been doing much other than normal "living" -- mostly long walks with my wife. I was doing some leg presses, but my little gym has shut down twice due to covid. It's been about six weeks since I've been in there, unfortunately. So that may be slowing down my recovery.

n0ragrace, I don't have any knee pain with weather changes. I had a pretty severe fracture in my right hand that everyone said would hurt with weather changes, but it never has. So maybe I'm just lucky that way.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Well. It happened to me today. I've been reading these entries with great interest. Surgery 12/24.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
That is NOT a merry Christmas.

I will have industrial painkillers. And do not have to operate heavy machinery!

With all of my other injuries / surgeries I was in a healthy mental place - that I took the opportunity to strengthen other aspects. This time, at least now, I'm just pissed.

Looking forward to surgery and getting on the mend.

Thanks so much for posting.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a real bummer Marty, but if it's any consolation many/all of us here on SkiTalk are pulling for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery starting on Christmas Day. I'll try to make a turn or two for you, though they won't be up to the quality of your turns.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
That's a real bummer Marty, but if it's any consolation many/all of us here on SkiTalk are pulling for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery starting on Christmas Day. I'll try to make a turn or two for you, though they won't be up to the quality of your turns.

Thanks so much. So looking forward to surgery, and getting things moving forward. I have an awesome wife looking out for me. Given the COVID thing, I am super thankful that the surgeon and hospital are reacting so quickly.

I will also likely watch every ski movie out there - twice.

Best to you.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
For those who have been through a quad tendon rupture... Would love to know what your timeline looked like:

- Duration in brace.
- Duration of zero weight bearing.
- When did you start mobility drills?
- When could you walk with confidence?
- When were you back on skis?

I get that everyone's progression is different. If I have a few data points I might be able to establish realistic expectations.

Thanks so much.

peter826

Skier
Duration in brace: 10 weeks
Duration of zero weight bearing: Just a few days
Started mobility drills: First PT appointment at 3 weeks. Surgeon wanted me to bend to 60 degrees by week four.
Walking pretty well: 15 weeks?
I don't ski, sorry.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Duration in brace: 10 weeks
Duration of zero weight bearing: Just a few days
Started mobility drills: First PT appointment at 3 weeks. Surgeon wanted me to bend to 60 degrees by week four.
Walking pretty well: 15 weeks?
I don't ski, sorry.

Perfect. Thanks so much. I have a number of friends who are PTs. They sent protocols. It gives me a timeline and objective goals.

Surgery 12/24. Weight trained today. Zero pain meds today, so far. Super happy with that. Will probably enjoy a 'little party" prior to bed.

Best to you.

peter826

Skier

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The protocol I followed is here:

Good luck with your surgery. I found that I really didn't need much in the way of pain meds. I had one bad night after the nerve block wore off, but otherwise, tylenol a few times per day was all I needed.

Perfect. Thanks so much. My worst was having my hand pinned back together in a Military hospital. I am thrilled to see a lot of language about assisted rango of motion so early in the curve.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was 57 when I ruptured mine , never took pain meds , Tylenol a few times a day for a couple of weeks , was told you could weight bear right away, in straight immobilizer for 12 weeks , then started bending , took 2 months of intensive Pt to bend 120 degrees. I had a partial tear for about 5 years prior that I ignored, ( not a good Idea) after 7 month was back on ski's , after 3 months on ski's was back to previous level. Its a long road but done properly and carefully you will get top 98%. Re injury is very common with over aggressive protocols. Be positive , strong , determined , and patient . you will be fine. PT is the road to recovery

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I was 57 when I ruptured mine , never took pain meds , Tylenol a few times a day for a couple of weeks , was told you could weight bear right away, in straight immobilizer for 12 weeks , then started bending , took 2 months of intensive Pt to bend 120 degrees. I had a partial tear for about 5 years prior that I ignored, ( not a good Idea) after 7 month was back on ski's , after 3 months on ski's was back to previous level. Its a long road but done properly and carefully you will get top 98%. Re injury is very common with over aggressive protocols. Be positive , strong , determined , and patient . you will be fine. PT is the road to recovery

Great perspective. I suspect that mine was compromised to begin with as well. Thanks so much.

peter826

Skier
Well, Marty, how did your surgery go? Hopefully you are past the worst of the post-surgical pain.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Well, Marty, how did your surgery go? Hopefully you are past the worst of the post-surgical pain.

Thanks so much for asking.

Doc said it went well. The enitire proces was the most "pleasant" surgical procedure I've ever experienced in civilian and Military hospitals. The aenestesioogist was amazing. Having absolutely zero fun. Pain is a little better each day. Doing workouts and stretching everyday while keeping my quad flaccid. Running out of epiosodes of my favirite streaming series, so I'll be screwed soon.

Mistook my pee Nalgene, for my clean water Nalgene the other night, white taking drugs. That was kind of funny.

Old Runner Frank

Booting up
Skier
I feel fortunate to have found this forum, the only active discussion of this topic that I have been able to locate on the web.

I joined the club four weeks ago at 68 years of age. I went out for a morning run as I have done most days for the past 40+ years. I was just getting started, when I slipped on some wet grass going down a slight hill, had my other leg twist violently under me, and felt and heard something pop. As I hit the ground, I said out loud, "Oh, that was bad!" I was unable to stand, so I crawled back to my car. My first thought was that i had dislocated my knee, but I quickly realized that I had ruptured my quadriceps tendon. I was surprised that it wasn't at all painful physically, although mentally it was pretty disturbing.

Had it surgically repaired three days later. It was pretty sore afterward, but I was OK with Advil and Tylenol, and didn't need anything after the first few days.

I find it interesting reading the various recovery protocols utilized by different doctors. I was allowed and encouraged to weight bear immediately, so I started walking around my basement on crutches. I'm told my knee will need to be immobilized for a total of six weeks, so about two and half more, before I'm able to start PT.
I've gotten down to just a cane the last few days, which has helped a lot with getting around, and I've been able to walk outside to enjoy the mild winter weather we've been having.

My doc tells me I should be able to resume running in about four months. Perhaps that's optimistic, but it gives me hope that by spring things will be looking better. Currently, in addition to the walking, I've been working on my upper body and core strength, while I put in time waiting for healing to take place.

n0ragrace

On the slopes once again
Skier
Frank, I had the same experience - I felt something was off after the initial fall, but I didn't have any pain until my surgery. If you are hoping to keep some of your lower body in shape while you're still immobilized, glute exercises can be useful. My PT showed me adapted 'clamshells' and other laying-down leglifts that target those upper muscles in your legs. I was surprised at how soon I was cleared to go jogging - my doctor told me 6 months, but my PT cleared me after about three. I was back to running regularly a few times a week by about 4 and a half months post-op. All the best for your recovery!

n0ragrace

On the slopes once again
Skier
For those who have been through a quad tendon rupture... Would love to know what your timeline looked like:

- Duration in brace.
- Duration of zero weight bearing.
- When did you start mobility drills?
- When could you walk with confidence?
- When were you back on skis?

I get that everyone's progression is different. If I have a few data points I might be able to establish realistic expectations.

Thanks so much.

as for this timeline...

I was in a brace for a week or so before surgery, then for 12 weeks.
Zero weight bearing for 7 days and kept using the crutches for another week of partial weight bearing after that.
Started range of motion drills 2 weeks post-op. They were the worst part of recovery. Every day felt like the hardest thing I had ever done, trying to get my darn leg to bend. It got better after I hit the 90 degree mark.
Walked with full confidence without the brace about two weeks after I ditched it. Going down the stairs was still hard, though, and I usually opted to go one step at a time (leaving the isometric effort for my other leg) for about a month or two after taking the brace off.
Went cross country skiing the season after my accident which was great. Skiing for the first time in two years this weekend. Wish me luck, folks.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@martyg I am glad your recovery seems to be off to a good start.
This thread was always a bit of an odd duck -- a public service on Epicski that was carried over to pugski after the transition.
(I read a lot of the thread when I was in ACL recovery -- it made me think "ah, this is nothing!" about my injury.)
I think you may be the first user of this thread that was already active on the site (or its predecessor) before joining the thread!
Good luck.

Sponsor