• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shiffrin free skiing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Here is the full original post from Bob Barnes on Critical Edge angle / Platform Angle. Thanks to the Wayback Machine...

Edit: Just in case it ever disappears from the Internet Archive...

Krazzy Legs--I suspect that it's a bit more complicated than you've been imagining--or perhaps less. The surprising fact is that edge angle on the snow surface has nothing to do with how well a ski grips or slips. Nothing! Indeed, there are many situations where a ski with a higher edge angle will not hold and carve as well as a ski with a lower angle. "Booting out" is one of them, of course, but there are other situations too. I'll get to that later, but let's look first at how edging influences a ski's grip, if the edge angle on the snow has nothing to do with it.

There are two ways (at least) to measure and describe edge angle, and they are both important in skiing but for different reasons. The first and most common is to describe the edge angle relative to the snow surface. The second--and the one that matters here--is to describe the edge angle relative to the force the skier applies to the ski. This is the intriguing concept often called "critical edge angle," or more recently "platform angle" (both terms originated, I believe, by Ron LeMaster). We've discussed these things before at EpicSki, but it's time to raise them again because they're very relevant to your original post. It's not easy to explain, from my experience, but once you get it, it may create an "ahah!" experience that brings many things into focus. Here goes....

"Critical Edge Angle" or "Platform Angle"
Imagine standing still on a very slippery, icy staircase. If the steps are level or tilted slightly toward the staircase, you won't slip off. But if the steps tilt out away from the staircase, you're probably doomed. Here's a crude illustration of what I'm describing:

Fig. 1. When the platform is level (A), you won't slip off no matter how slippery the surface because the force you apply to the step (straight down, due to gravity) is perpendicular to the step surface. When the step tilts toward the "hill," as in B, gravity tends to pull you toward the staircase. But when the platform tips away from the hill as in C, gravity will cause you to slip off the step.

Assuming the edge is sharp enough, a ski with pressure on it will carve a little "step" in the snow surface very similar to the steps of the staircase in the example in Fig. 1. When standing still or traversing across the hill in a straight line, gravity's straight-down pull is the only significant force, so the angle of the step cut by the edge works the same way as the steps on the icy staircase. When the ski edge is level (perpendicular to the downward pull of gravity) as in skier A1 or tilted a little toward the hill (B1), the ski will hold. When the edge tips downhill slightly (skier C1), it releases as the force of gravity literally pushes the ski out of its little notch, off its step. Here's an illustration:

Fig. 2. When standing still or traversing, the force applied to the ski (red arrows) is vertical, due solely to gravity acting on the center of mass. Skiers A1 and B1 will hold because the "platform angle" is 90 degrees (A1) or less (B1) from the angle of the force applied to the ski edge. Skier C1 will slip, just like the person standing on the slippery, tilted step above (C). Note the small notches or "steps" carved into the snow by the skis, very similar to the steps on the staircase in the first illustration.

In the second illustration, it's important to note that it does not matter how steep the hill itself is. The steeper the hill, the greater the edge angle relative to the snow surface, but the angles of the "steps"--the "platform angles"--do not change. In other words, you really do not need to tip your skis any more to hold on a steep slope than you do on a shallow slope. As we've all experienced, all it really takes to hold an edge when standing across a hill or traversing is a little ankle tension to cause just slight angulation to tip the skis to "critical edge angle" of level or slightly tipped into the hill. Likewise, releasing the edge to start a new turn involves little more than relaxing the ankle (or ankles) to let go of the mountain and let the skis slip.

Finally, in a turn, other forces arise. Centrifugal force, resulting from the turn itself, pulls out away from the center of the turn, and we lean (incline) into the turn for balance. (Please do not argue about centrifugal force here--no matter how you may prefer to explain the phenomenon, your body knows perfectly well that it needs to lean into a turn for balance!) These combined forces and the resulting lean of the body (center of mass) cause the direction of the force applied to the ski to tip away from vertical. As we incline into the turn, our skis naturally tip to a higher angle against the snow surface (unless we work hard to prevent it), but the critical edge angle that creates the platform angle stays the same, relative to the now-tilted force. And the ski's tendency to grip or slip depends as before on that angle--not on the edge angle on the snow. In other words, it is the shape of the skier's body--"angulation" or the lack thereof in ankles, knees, hips, and spine--that determines grip, NOT the degree of inclination, which largely influences the ski's edge angle on the snow.

Fig. 3. Here, skier A2 is standing still or traversing and therefore "vertical." His ski grips because of slight angulation (lateral angles, essentially) in the ankles, knees, and hips, which creates the platform angle of less then 90 degrees to the (vertical) force applied to the ski. Skier B2 is in almost exactly the same posture as skier A2, but because he is turning, his whole body--and skis--tip into the turn. The platform angle remains the same as skier A2, even though the edge angle on the snow has increased. Skier C2, even though his edge angle on the snow is about the same as skier A2, does not hold because he is "banking"--leaning his upper body into the turn and causing the platform angle to increase greater than 90 degrees to the angle of the force he applies to his ski.

So that's "critical edge angle" or "platform angle" in a nutshell. Basically, if the ski is tipped perpendicular or to an acute angle with the line of force, the ski will tend to hold. When tipped to an obtuse angle (greater than 90 degrees) to the line of force, the force will tend to push the ski right off its platform and cause it to skid, no matter how high the edge angle on the snow surface. (Of course, if you want to get picky and technical, factors such as the ski's torsional stiffness--how much it twists along its length when tipped on edge--come into play, skewing the numbers somewhat. Overall sharpness, base and side edge bevels, and snow conditions factor in as well.)

---

So, if it does not influence the ski's ability to hold, what DOES edge angle on the snow do? It plays an entirely different, but no less important, role, and as skiers, we must control both edge angle on the snow AND platform angle independently, but simultaneously, continuously, and accurately. Essentially, a ski's edge angle on the snow, combined with its sidecut radius (and sufficient pressure to bend the ski, properly located), influences the size of the turn the ski "tries" to carve, as the following illustration shows:

Fig. 4. On hard snow, the higher the edge angle (on the snow), the tighter radius turn the ski wants to carve. The basic formula is sidecut radius X cosine of edge angle = carving radius. (In soft and deeper conditions, sidecut and edge angle are less significant, as it is primarily the ski's flotation and flexibility, combined with the amount and location of pressure on it, that causes it to bend.)

Here too, the simple formula represents only an approximation, as torsional stiffness, flex pattern, sidecut shape, fore-aft pressure distribution, snow conditions, and other skier movements and factors all influence ultimate turn shape and carving radius. And, of course, in powder, crud, and other soft-snow conditions, sidecut plays a much less significant role.

How can a ski hold LESS well when tipped to a higher edge angle?
Because edge angle on the snow plays such a significant role in the carving radius of a turn, too much edge angle can actually cause a ski to hold less well than "just enough" edge angle. Especially at high edge angles of 45 degrees and up, a slight change in edge angle can have a tremendous influence on the ski's carving radius. For example, an edge angle (on the snow) of 60 degrees (cosine = .5) creates a theoretical carving radius of one half the ski's sidecut radius. Increasing the edge angle just 15 degrees further from 60 degrees to 75 degrees (cosine = .26) nearly cuts the theoretical carving radius in half again--about one quarter of the ski's sidecut radius! When the ski bends into a tighter radius arc than the turn the skier is trying to make, it will not carve--or hold--nearly as well as when tipped to the optimal angle. Conversely, if you let the ski tighten the turn to whatever radius it bends into, it will cause a dramatic increase in the g-forces (centrifugal force) caused by the turn. That can cause the snow itself to break away under the load, and can also increase the stress on the body, making it more difficult to sustain the intense force--either way resulting in the ski skidding because of too-high edge angles.

---

Whew! Well, that was a good exercise for me, as I've wanted to create some illustrations to try to help explain some of these technical concepts. I hope they help clarify some interesting technical details and potential paradoxes of skiing! As others have suggested, Krazzy Legs, it is at least possible that what you've described as "booting out" could be due to some of the other reasons that skis will break away and slip or skid due to extremely high edge angles, as I just described. Of course, it could be that you've booted out, too. It does happen, especially on very narrow skis without much "lift" under the boots. And some boots are wider and more prone to booting out than others.

If you have some video....

wink.gif

Best regards,
Bob Barnes

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great find @Noodler

Even though theoretically the edge holds as long as the platform angle is less than 90 degrees it is quite irrelevant. The speed and dynamics are much more important as I'll argue in the following.
It is difficult to prove a claim, but it is quite easy to disprove because you just need some example that contradicts.
The claim is that the ski holds as long as the platform angle is less than 90 degrees.
That would imply that all skiers on the hill that have such an angle would have a turn radius less than that of the ski cut radius. Alternatively it would imply that none of the skiers that go fast and don't have a tighter radius are having a platform angle less than 90 degrees.

Assuming that the ski holds the turn force is given by:

Fturn=m*v^2/r/Cos[alpha ]
m=mass
v=speed in m/s
r= ski radius in meters
alpha= edge angle

Lets assume for simplicity that the platform angle is 90 degrees and that we fully stand on one ski. Also assume a flat hill for simplicity.

Since the force vector passes through the CoM we have the upward force from the ski:
Fup = Fturn/Tan[alpha ]

If this force is the same as m*g we are static, if it is larger we are accelerating upwards.

Here I have plotted the so-obtained up force divided by the gravity force. I show both log scale and linear. I have used R=11 like the ski Shiffrin is on, and an edge angle of 20 degrees.

1620453260876.png

We see that for a speed of about 6 m/s (13 mph) we are in balance (ratio=1)

If we take the downhiller example above. He is going about 35 m/s.
That gives us an up force that is roughly 33 times the gravity force.
That is what I mean with beeing ejected out of the turn or the ski must skid.

If you have an edge angle of 20 degrees, the turn force needs to be quite a bit less than the gravity force for a reasonable balance, but if you are going fast and the ski edge locks it is huge. It does not make sense to assume that the ski is edge locked then. The ski will not hold. The reason may be a combination of chatter, shaving off the top snow, ski surfing, not enough platform angle, ski torsion or whatever. Also the fact that we have two skis make things more complicated.

I'm not sure, but the fact that most skiers going fast on the hill does not have radius tighter than the radius (times Cos[edge angle]) would mean that either almost no-one of these skiers have a platform angle less than 90 or that something else is going on. They also don't get ejected by the huge forces implied by the figures above.
What do you think?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Quite correct @Jamt, no one is making a locked in or pure arc-2-arc 70 mph turn with an 11-m side-cut radius ski. Also not possible on a 50-m side-cut radius ski, which imho would have been a better example. Maybe one day when I'm not feeling so lazy I'll make a chart that shows maximum speed for locked in turn versus ski radius (from 11 m to 70 m), for different g-forces, considering physics and the r=Rcosine(theta) equation. I'm too lazy to do it now.
But you seem to have lot's of energy. ;)

There would still be lot's of room to deviate from the theoretical which assumes a rigid ski, perfect edge contact along the ski edge with a perfectly flat slope, but it would give a starting point.

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The claim is that the ski holds as long as the platform angle is less than 90 degrees.
That would imply that all skiers on the hill that have such an angle would have a turn radius less than that of the ski cut radius. ....
What do you think?
I disagree. This skier in the Railroad Tracks video below is carving, leaving pencil-thin tracks. I am assuming his platform angle is less than 90 degrees, and that maintaining this angle between his skis and his CoM allows his edges to cut clean lines (assuming proper fore-aft balance and the absence of manual rotation of the skis).
It is obvious that his turn radius is not less than that of the ski side cut radius. The skis are barely bent at this slow speed and at this low edge angle to the snow.
This contradicts what you are claiming in the bolded part above, doesn't it? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Wait. I just realized, after posting, that I may be wrong... if my usual understanding of what "side cut radius" is. I assume that is the same as the published "turn radius" on a ski, which I usually assume to be a turn radius created by bending the ski to some angle which the know-it-alls choose for some mysterious reason. But if the side-cut radius (=TR) is defined by a fictional circle drawn by extending a flat ski's edge into a circle, without the ski being bent, then there's a major mistake in my thinking, and all turns made on a decambered ski have a turn radius smaller than the advertised one.

Would someone clarify how manufacturers measure turn radius, or side-cut radius, assuming they are the same? Is it measured from a bent ski on a hard surface whose entire edge reaches the surface, or a flat ski? If the first, then at what angle is the ski tilted? Higher tilt means more bend and shorter radius.

Last edited:

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
""When the ski bends into a tighter radius arc than the turn the skier is trying to make, it will not carve--or hold--nearly as well as when tipped to the optimal angle. Conversely, if you let the ski tighten the turn to whatever radius it bends into, it will cause a dramatic increase in the g-forces (centrifugal force) caused by the turn. That can cause the snow itself to break away under the load..." (Bob Barnes)

I think this is important. The snow matters and is constantly changing and thus, edge angles will likely change. The phrases "You were RIPPING dude" and "Let's go TEAR it up" originated from this concept.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
I disagree. This skier in the Railroad Tracks video below is carving, leaving pencil-thin tracks. I am assuming his platform angle is less than 90 degrees, and that maintaining this angle between his skis and his CoM allows his edges to cut clean lines (assuming proper fore-aft balance and the absence of manual rotation of the skis).
It is obvious that his turn radius is not less than that of the ski side cut radius. The skis are barely bent at this slow speed and at this low edge angle to the snow.
This contradicts what you are claiming in the bolded part above, doesn't it? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?

Simply, what happens to those skiers in this video when they increase their speed? They will either start skidding, or they will have to increase their edge angles. It's because of the need to balance centrifugal force with gravity while maintaining an appropriate platform angle. For a given speed, you won't have a close approximation of edge lock carving until you reach a critical edge angle which is enough angle to give a platform angle less than 90 degrees given the necessary lean to compensate centrifugal force.

Last edited:

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Referring to Sanity's comment above -
Two ways to get "too far inside the turn" -
Not enough platform and skis slip away (fall to the inside)
To much and the ski "hooks up" potentially more than you want and release becomes delayed (stuck inside)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
1620491655096.png

What's missing here is that the theoretical equation "assumes" that all points of the edge are in contact with the bottom of the groove on a flat surface. That is not the case. In reality, the ski bends with the middle of the ski not in full contact with the bottom of the groove; it's as if the ski had a longer radius. Also the surface is not flat; it's bumpy. (1-g implies 45 degree tipping angle)

Still, one only has to ski a few 1-g 50 mph turns on a 13-m sidecut radius ski and then go back and ski the same turns again with a 70-m sidecut radius ski to see that the 13-m radius ski was NOT making clean carves.

Attachments

• 1620491313703.png
    1620491313703.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1620491538191.png
    1620491538191.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wait. I just realized, after posting, that I may be wrong... if my usual understanding of what "side cut radius" is. I assume that is the same as the published "turn radius" on a ski, which I usually assume to be a turn radius created by bending the ski to some angle which the know-it-alls choose for some mysterious reason. But if the side-cut radius (=TR) is defined by a fictional circle drawn by extending a flat ski's edge into a circle, without the ski being bent, then there's a major mistake in my thinking.

Would someone clarify how manufacturers measure turn radius, or side-cut radius, assuming they are the same? Is it measured from a bent ski on a hard surface whose entire edge reaches the surface, or a flat ski? If the first, then at what angle is the ski tilted? Higher tilt means shorter radius.
side cut radius and turn radius marked on the ski is the same thing, because if you tip the skis just a bit and push it down and forward it will follow the circle extended by the side cut radius.
However, when you tip the ski the circle becomes tighter and the turn radius is then approximately
R*Cos(edge angle).
For example if you tip the ski 60 degrees Cos(60)=0.5

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
I define Carving as the PROCESS of converting straight line travel (energy) into circular travel (energy) . Simple as that. This is what the tool we refer to as modern shaped ski is designed to do.
IMO that definition misses the target. I can do circular travel with very slow wedge or brushed turns. I don't think many would call that carving.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Simply, what happens to those skiers in this video when they increase their speed? They will either start skidding, or they will have to increase their edge angles. It's because of the need to balance centrifugal force with gravity while maintaining an appropriate platform angle. For a given speed, you won't have a close approximation of edge lock carving until you reach a critical edge angle which is enough angle to give a platform angle less than 90 degrees given the necessary lean to compensate centrifugal force.
Actually, as you go faster you don't have to increase the edge and to the snow, unless you want to reduce your turn radius.

You have to angulate more, to keep your cm over the ski edge.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Actually, as you go faster you don't have to increase the edge and to the snow, unless you want to reduce your turn radius.

You have to angulate more, to keep your cm over the ski edge.
For a given arc, as you go faster the center of mass must lean in more to balance the centrifugal force. Eventually as the speed increases and the lean increases, you'll exceed a 90 degree platform angle if you keep the edge angle the same. Angulation is a way to increase the edge angles for a given lean of the center of mass.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
For a given arc, as you go faster the center of mass must lean in more to balance the centrifugal force. Eventually as the speed increases and the lean increases, you'll exceed a 90 degree platform angle if you keep the edge angle the same. Angulation is a way to increase the edge angles for a given lean of the center of mass.
Yes, but it is very hard to angulate without affecting the lean.

Sanity

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
Yes, but it is very hard to angulate without affecting the lean.
Right, in practice it gets more complicated. I'm just keeping one thing constant in the math to show where the other parameters must go to help understand the concepts, though that way of looking at things might not be that helpful for many.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Imagine a turn on a horizontal flat surface for simplicity. If you go twice as fast around the same diameter turn, you will have four times as much turn force horizontal force, but the same gravity force.
1620564296904.png
F becomes
1620564334804.png
F. You will have to increase your tipping angle to suit, if you were at the limiting platform angle with the lower speed.

It is possible that you were angulating a lot at the lower speed and not near the platform angle limit at the lower speed and can adjust your angulation and maintain the no-slip condition at the higher speed, but there are limits to it.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great find @Noodler

Even though theoretically the edge holds as long as the platform angle is less than 90 degrees it is quite irrelevant. The speed and dynamics are much more important as I'll argue in the following.
It is difficult to prove a claim, but it is quite easy to disprove because you just need some example that contradicts.
That would imply that all skiers on the hill that have such an angle would have a turn radius less than that of the ski cut radius. Alternatively it would imply that none of the skiers that go fast and don't have a tighter radius are having a platform angle less than 90 degrees.

Assuming that the ski holds the turn force is given by:

Fturn=m*v^2/r/Cos[alpha ]
m=mass
v=speed in m/s
r= ski radius in meters
alpha= edge angle

Lets assume for simplicity that the platform angle is 90 degrees and that we fully stand on one ski. Also assume a flat hill for simplicity.

Since the force vector passes through the CoM we have the upward force from the ski:
Fup = Fturn/Tan[alpha ]

If this force is the same as m*g we are static, if it is larger we are accelerating upwards.

Here I have plotted the so-obtained up force divided by the gravity force. I show both log scale and linear. I have used R=11 like the ski Shiffrin is on, and an edge angle of 20 degrees.

View attachment 133300
We see that for a speed of about 6 m/s (13 mph) we are in balance (ratio=1)

If we take the downhiller example above. He is going about 35 m/s.
That gives us an up force that is roughly 33 times the gravity force.
That is what I mean with beeing ejected out of the turn or the ski must skid.

If you have an edge angle of 20 degrees, the turn force needs to be quite a bit less than the gravity force for a reasonable balance, but if you are going fast and the ski edge locks it is huge. It does not make sense to assume that the ski is edge locked then. The ski will not hold. The reason may be a combination of chatter, shaving off the top snow, ski surfing, not enough platform angle, ski torsion or whatever. Also the fact that we have two skis make things more complicated.

I'm not sure, but the fact that most skiers going fast on the hill does not have radius tighter than the radius (times Cos[edge angle]) would mean that either almost no-one of these skiers have a platform angle less than 90 or that something else is going on. They also don't get ejected by the huge forces implied by the figures above.
What do you think?

Not really sure the point here. If it is that there comes a speed and turn radius likely to exceed the strength limit of a human skier in an angulated stance or sheer strength of snow then fine.

Not sure on your maths as my understanding is that the centripetal force required for circular travel is Fc = m*v^2/2 and that applies to cars, motorbikes, planes and even (slow) electrons. There's the minor complication of gravity with a skier turning on a sloping pitch in that above the fall line gravity assists the turning and below the fall line it works against but the basic calculation for Fc stands.

A skier at 9.8m/s (35kph) requires 1g centripetal force for a 9.8m radius turn. The skier then balances that 1g centripetal and the 1g from gravity and inclines their CoM (through inclination and angulation) at 45 degrees. Is that a problem?

The racer at 35m/s (126kph) would require 12.75g centripetal to make the same turn. Not going to happen but that has not much to do with platform angle.

What's missing here is that the theoretical equation "assumes" that all points of the edge are in contact with the bottom of the groove on a flat surface. That is not the case. In reality, the ski bends with the middle of the ski not in full contact with the bottom of the groove; it's as if the ski had a longer radius.

Thank you!

It is not compulsory for a ski to make every turn at its nominal turn radius.

Don't see why that would be so.
1620564189758.png

The only delay is how much tipping is required for the edge of the ski to start cutting a groove in the snow. Not much on a ski tuned 0.5 on base.

Eventually as the speed increases and the lean increases, you'll exceed a 90 degree platform angle if you keep the edge angle the same.

Well, we could assume the person skiing had some idea what they were doing and increases the edge angle to suit desired turn radius for the given speed.

Angulation is a way to increase the edge angles for a given lean of the center of mass.

Which happens to reduce the platform angle. Viola - grip (assuming all other factors are ok).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That is a beautiful thing to watch. Imagine being the camera person that has to keep up and hold a camera steady.

And she is just skiing casually with what seems like zero effort. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor