• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tahoe Spring Wax

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last spring I rubbed on, and then corked, Toko Performance Yellow a few times during the day. A different day I used Dominator Butter the same way. They worked about the same. Reapplication matters more than which wax, in my experience. (Butter is discontinued, fluoro if I remember correctly).

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Last spring I rubbed on, and then corked, Toko Performance Yellow a few times during the day. A different day I used Dominator Butter the same way. They worked about the same. Reapplication matters more than which wax, in my experience. (Butter is discontinued, fluoro if I remember correctly).
It's still available.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Good to know as Butter is 3 or 4 times as expensive.

we-east coast skier

Booting up
Skier
Looks like it's going to be a long spring season this year in the Sierras. I'm not a racer, just a run of the mill Palisades all mountain, bump, powder skier. So, for guys like me, what wax do you guys like for the spring season in Tahoe? Blends, secret formulas, tricks....lets hear them.
More than you are asking for, but here is my own tried and true spring wax routine to protect bases and go sorta fast on high moisture spring snow that starts frozen and may be slush later on older spring ski beaters. Because I really like the 80/20 rule on ski wax (20% of effort and cost for 80% + of the results) for just tooling around, like it sounds like the case here, my favorite is a straight hydrocarbon wax in the high 20 degree ranges. For me that's the swix 180 gram bulk bars PS7 or PS8 purple or red. I don't like the super soft b/c while nominally faster it comes off the ski too quickly. I iron my wax in. After it cools, I prefer overnight, don’t scrape. Use your soft copper structure brush or your firmest nylon/hair brush and give each ski 20 firm strokes to open up the wax to prevent suction on the wet stuff. The brushing is the key, not the wax. First run on the icier snow takes the wax off the edges and the deep grooves in the wax keep you from sticking later to the wet stuff. If you need your edges on point on turns 1 - 10, scrape the edges off, otherwise it takes care of itself in the first 200 yds. I will go two or three old guy afternoon sessions on this prep- it works great and your skis are always adequately slidey on the warm snow. Keeps the ski base relatively dirt free and protected if you do want to get serious with an actual full prep/wax for speed later, you don't stick to the really slushy stuff and they get faster as you go when things warm up and its less than 10 mins every few ski days of waxing effort : ). A note If you use a colder wax you get “wax high” in the middle of your ski if you’re a carver after a couple sessions, another reason the mid-range waxes are sort of goldilocks for the snow-scrape as described. Finally, under heading of take it or leave it, any rub ons I have used, including for nordic skate, that are not for a one-run high flouro (or whatever the flouro alternate is now) type of deal, never last very long without putting so much effort into getting it into the base with the applicator and/or applying on each run, you save time with the iron anyways.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
It may be better, but not 3 times better. Butter gives you street cred, though.

My street cred will be lost if my skis stop short and I faceplant for no apparent reason. But, for the number of Spring days I get, cheaper is better.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find Toko Yellow liquid paraffin works pretty well and is really easy to apply. (You can even spray it on in the parking lot before booting up, in a pinch.)
this will be me at Breck this weekend.....made sure to pack all my yellow Toko paraffin

eric100

Putting on skis
Skier
I used to find Swix special silicon to be ideal in wet/dirty spring snow, however I cant find it anymore. Does anyone know if they replaced it with a similar product?

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
A little goes a long ways. Trick is to have a fluorinated hydrocarbon under it. It holds on tighter that way.
Unfortunately, Fluorinated wax is also very expensive as already mentioned in this thread.

Maybe I need to take a picture of my Fluoro stash, which will last me for years.

Jacques

Skier
Unfortunately, Fluorinated wax is also very expensive as already mentioned in this thread.

Maybe I need to take a picture of my Fluoro stash, which will last me for years.
Well, if one wants the best slushy glide, you gotta' do what you gotta' do.
I like the Dominator Legacy paste, because there is no waste! A little Elite W, or Butter on top, and there you go. Zoooooom!

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, if one wants the best slushy glide, you gotta' do what you gotta' do.
I like the Dominator Legacy paste, because there is no waste! A little Elite W, or Butter on top, and there you go. Zoooooom!
but think of the water tables that you're contaminating (lol).... yet we mostly drive on rubber tires that also contribute to the water table contamination

Jacques

Skier
but think of the water tables that you're contaminating (lol).... yet we mostly drive on rubber tires that also contribute to the water table contamination
The Elite line is all fluoro free, and the butter is C6 based, so no worries. The Legacy is also C6 based, EPA approved.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Zardox Not Wax is killer for spring conditions. Might have to apply again during the day if you're skiing hard & fast, but makes spring/slush such a blast...

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
I nearly ate it today on flat sticky connector trail. Looked like a total dip@($: Felt like someone pushed me from behind. It was freezing last night and 50 this afternoon. So there you have it. Going fluoridated tomorrow.

Jacques

Skier
I nearly ate it today on flat sticky connector trail. Looked like a total dip@($: Felt like someone pushed me from behind. It was freezing last night and 50 this afternoon. So there you have it. Going fluoridated tomorrow.
Sure, there are waxes and base structures that can be the best, but at some point with certain conditions, it's going to get sticky. That's when it's time to quit. There is no "magic" wax.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today at Rose was a definite yellow day. Red was ok at the top but down the mountain or on the Slide side? It felt like the p-tex was getting ripped off the bases! Spring is here, at least for a few days.

TS
Don't Skip Leg Day

Don't Skip Leg Day

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I'm doing a fluoro hot wax just for spring (over a paraffin base coat), is it really necessary to have a separate brush for fluoro wax? I'm not a racer so I don't really care if my fluoro coat is pristine for racing, just better than paraffin.

Sponsor