• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One of the first things I do with a new bike (that wasn't custom built by a hand-picked mechanic) is completely disassemble it. Dork disk and reflectors are removed. Everything is pulled - including bottom bracket, cassette, chainrings, headset bearings - and properly examined, cleaned, prepped, and refit. Every bolt or screw is tightened to torque spec.
I can do that. I have the requisite skills and tools, I just don’t like wrenching. So it will stay on until I have reason to take off the cassette. Or get really bored some day. It’s not hurting anything.
The "spoke protector" is only needed if you can't actually tune index shifting (or set limit screws with a friction system). It's only a solution for slackjob mechanical work.
Also useful if you bend your hanger the wrong way. Unlikely, but it does happen, particularly on an mtb.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't get ricked by fashion!! Wait, ruggine??¿? :roflmao:

Yeah, it is his roundabout way of breaking the shameful news he bought brown shoes:

1683213051994.png

Of all the colours it had to be brown... :nono: :nono:

I'll make sure it is explicitly stated in my will when I die that even the urn my ashes are in should NOT, under no conceivable circumstances be brown.
A Coca Cola bottle is better than brown.

So no @cantunamunch there is no way you can make brown work in any conceivable combination of other colours...brown...dear oh dear...

1683213419457.png

P.S. That's not BOA on these, that's the SIDI own tensioning system-Techno or something. But at this point BOA or not makes no difference whatsoever.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the first things I do with a new bike (that wasn't custom built by a hand-picked mechanic) is completely disassemble it. Dork disk and reflectors are removed. Everything is pulled - including bottom bracket, cassette, chainrings, headset bearings - and properly examined, cleaned, prepped, and refit. Every bolt or screw is tightened to torque spec.

The "spoke protector" is only needed if you can't actually tune index shifting (or set limit screws with a friction system). It's only a solution for slackjob mechanical work.

Ahhhhh THAT'S MY MAN RIGHT HERE! :golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::beercheer::beercheer::yeah:

You tell 'em dork disc lovers what's what!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, it is his roundabout way of breaking the shameful news he bought brown shoes:

View attachment 202657

Of all the colours it had to be brown... :nono: :nono:

I'll make sure it is explicitly stated in my will when I die that even the urn my ashes are in should NOT, under no conceivable circumstances be brown.
A Coca Cola bottle is better than brown.

So no @cantunamunch there is no way you can make brown work in any conceivable combination of other colours...brown...dear oh dear...

View attachment 202658

P.S. That's not BOA on these, that's the SIDI own tensioning system-Techno or something. But at this point BOA or not makes no difference whatsoever.
It's like a Frank Zappa song...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm telling you. It's that one turquoise spot on the gleaming white that's going to be the absolute beast.

View attachment 202672

*goeslookingforabrownsharpie*

I have absolutely no objections to the helmet. White is very sensible color for summer riding, it looks very good and being a Lazer I guess it is featherweight too. It is fine.

When used in combination with black or white shoes. Or red or blue or.....you get the picture...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have absolutely no objections to the helmet. White is very sensible color for summer riding, it looks very good and being a Lazer I guess it is featherweight too. It is fine.

It does peeve me that they didn't use the verrry nice magnetic catch that the winter visored helmet has, and the resilient polymer catch on the Vento is quite annoying with numb fingers.

Also, its first, primary purpose will be with Powerslide Arise Marathons. Taking advantage of the whole 15 degree head angle thing - skaters are less upright than cyclists. And that turquoise clashes with both red and blue bootie trim.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It does peeve me that they didn't use the verrry nice magnetic catch that the winter visored helmet has, and the resilient polymer catch on the Vento is quite annoying with numb fingers.

Can you fit them covers for winter riding...what was the name? Aeroshell? Think it is very good solution.

All that helmet talk reminds me that I probably need a new one too. My Giro Aether is already 3 seasons old and they say I need to change helmet every 3 years, right? I am thinking Kask Protone Icon at this point but we'll see.
The Aether is good but not comfy enough.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Velotoze? https://www.velotoze.com/collections/aero

and yes I am completely aware that that collection includes turquoise shoe covers :P

No, these:

It is a very clever plastic cover that you fit onto your Lazer helmet thus transforming it to aero/winter lid. Very smart.

Don't buy Velotoze, the colours bleed like crazy and ruin the helmet colour, especially if matte. Or at least the version I had 2 years ago.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, what is a dork disc?:huh:
I didn’t know what one was either until I posted a photo of my new bike here. I was quickly instructed to remove it, saving me the embarrassment of getting heckled on my first ride.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn’t know what one was either until I posted a photo of my new bike here. I was quickly instructed to remove it, saving me the embarrassment of getting heckled on my first ride.

Precisely! Happy you got the memo. :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro have a look at the Vittoria Terreno MIX - you'll curse me on pavement but you'll thank me in rooty mud.

Thanks man but I think I need something more hard stuff oriented that is also excellent on pavement as rooty mud is not common in the summer around here. Besides I try to avoid mud by all means, the biggest nightmare in my life as a cyclist is getting my bike dirty. I hate that.

Sponsor

Staff online