• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The "I need to brag about a gear purchase" thread--Cycling version

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the price of replacement rings for that Ultegra crankset I've found so far

I don't think you're missing any deals. I scoured and scoured, and still ended up paying enough for a new Ultegra/XTR drivetrain for my OG Checkpoint that I almost sold it and bought a new bike.

But it's much harder to sell a bike up here, as there is no 2.5 million Portland Metro Area an hour away.....but a more than worthwhile tradeoff!

my new gen 6 Fuel EX 9.8 GX AXS (not transmission) will be here by the end of next week

Very much looking forward to your impressions on this bike. I'm running the e-version, and while I'm not sure I'm an e-bike convert yet, it HAS made me realize the Trek absolutely nailed it on this new FEX/e-FEX platform.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did get to do a parking lot ride of a gen 6 9.9 last week. The bike was sort set up for someone slightly lighter than I, but wasn't fully set up yet. Shock and fork both felt good but I have no idea if it was close to what I need to run to get an accurate impression of the bike. Even with regular shoes and there was a set of SPD's on the bike, the pedaling efficiency was noticeably better almost thought I had a motor in there. This is perhaps the only real comparison I can make between the two so far, I've always felt a bit inside the bike or over sag'ed in the rear with my gen 5 unless I had it locked out. That made the bike less fun and harder to pedal for punchy steep short climbs when I didn't have a chance to flip the lockout. I never liked how the rear felt in the middle position on the shock, so It was either open of locked for me. That difference alone makes me quite excited for the bike. While my local trails are more xc oriented, they are mostly broken into longer climbs with equal amounts of descent inbetween the climbs. When I travel anywhere else in the state to ride, there is a bunch of rolling trails with punchy climbs that need a lockout with my gen 5.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well damn. Turns out you can't run a 32x20 on a Trek Superfly SS. Now I need to put the old chainring back on and wait for a new chain to get here.

Edit. Turns out also you need a 20 mm socket to adjust Trek sliding dropouts. Show of hands, who’s got a 20 mm socket?

PXL_20230617_165302100.jpg
PXL_20230618_155836056.jpg

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Erm... I have a 20mm socket. It's part of my bike toolkit, has been for years. So...

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Erm... I have a 20mm socket. It's part of my bike toolkit, has been for years. So...
Nice. I’ll be right over to borrow it. ;)

What do you use it for? I have never needed one, and it isn’t really a standard size. Most sets I found stopped at 19, and the ones that went larger skipped the 20.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice. I’ll be right over to borrow it. ;)

What do you use it for? I have never needed one, and it isn’t really a standard size. Most sets I found stopped at 19, and the ones that went larger skipped the 20.

I don't use it for much but it was part of the socket set I bought. Such is life.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I also have a 20mm socket! I need to get a 22mm just in case to keep tabs on the subframe bolts of my lifted Impreza.

And I just realized I posted my new bike day post in the wrong thread. brb as I see if I can copy/paste it here and delete the other one.. and Done!

----

New bike day last Thursday! Gen 6 Fuel EX9.8 GX AXS and I pretty much rode thru a mud puddle immediately after this picture was taken, I haven't even gotten around to applying frame protection yet. I got it ordered back at the beginning of May during the Trekfest sale for $6k instead of $7.7K. Big chunk of change but only $500 more than I paid for my gen 5 9.8XT in 2021, so not too bad. (I just looked.. it's still listed as on sale on the Trek website)

I've had two rides on it so far and the best way to describe it is that it feels very familiar to the gen 5 but better in all ways. It pedals incredibly well, better than the gen 5 as I always felt like I was sagging more than it should be and there was just the tiniest amount of pedal bob in the gen 5. I can't really tell much of a difference between the firm and not-firm setting on the Float X. It just sits higher in firm but pedals about the same. The fork is identical to the one on my gen 5, a Fox 36 Performance with 150mm travel, so I can make a direct comparison for the change in head angle and slightly increased reach. It's is very confidence inspiring and doesn't feel short and divey at times like the gen 5 and I know it's not the fork because I have them set to the same settings 100psi and 4 clicks of rebound. It's a big bike but doesn't look or feel as big as it is. The tubes are much more svelte compared the gen 5 and it looks like a smaller bike.

It's got "regular" GX AXS on it and I think I still prefer 12s Shimano between the two, it's just quieter and shifts better even without the electronics. For the price I paid, this will be 100% fine and won't be changed. I'll just swap to higher tier parts as I wear them out.

The 9.8 comes with Code R brakes and 200f/180r 1.8mil thick Centerline rotors. I had a lot of reservations about the brakes as I've not particularly gotten along with the multiple pairs of SRAM single pot brakes I've had in the past but this is the first set of Codes I've ridden. Once I got the rotors bedded in on the first ride, they were pretty okay! I swapped in 2mil thick HS2 rotors for the second ride and would recommend everyone do that, lever feel and braking was improved all around. Two rides in and I don't think I'll be going back to the 4-pot Shimano brakes anytime soon. I just feel like I have greater control over the brakes now and less hand fatigue so far.

I have not cut down the 820cm wide RSL single piece bar yet, it honestly doesn't feel that wide on this bike and surprisingly the sweep, rise, and roll of the bar is working for me. I still think a small trim down to 800 may be of order as I am holding the grips inboard a bit more than I could be.

So far no complaints about the SE5 tires and the two rides I've done have not been 100% dry either. Wet leaves, bit of mud, but I'm not going all out yet as I'm still getting the bike settled in and adjusted. They feel like they roll just as fast as the XR4's I'm used too but feel grippier when on edge. The carbon wheels they roll on are as far as I can tell, the same wheels that I have on my gen 5 and I can't tell a difference except the hub is quieter right now. However, they came with TireWiz installed which was an added bonus that no one was expecting at the shop or here. I'll be straight with all of you, This is an upgrade that I didn't know I needed. The fact that I can specify a target pressure range and just spin my wheel to see if the light is green or red to check it.. it's lovely. It also means I don't need to haul around a pump with a gauge! I can just use a hand pump or whatever and go till the light goes green. That said, I'm not sure that I would pay $200 for a pair to install on any other bike I own.. but since they came with this one I'm pretty stoked about it!

All in all, the gen 6 is a definite improvement upon the gen 5. It solved a few performance issues I had with the gen 5, notable the stability in turns at the front as mine liked to get a bit divey. It's just better all around so far!

20230615_190146.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Show of hands, who’s got a 20 mm socket?

Hand raised. FWIW, if you have an extensive set of SAE sockets, I think there is a crossover size in there, though I don't recall which one at the moment.

Gen 6 Fuel EX9.8 GX AXS

Even with regular shoes and there was a set of SPD's on the bike, the pedaling efficiency was noticeably better almost thought I had a motor in there.

Good to hear. Also your comments on the SRAM brakes, which I also have reservations about. Through an unexpected turn of events, I have exactly your bike headed my way, and I'm pretty stoked.

I'll run it pretty stock, but the following tweaks to start:

Wolftooth Mega Fatpaw grips,
XO1 Cassette in 10-50 (the 42 to 52 jump infuriates me),
XO1 Chain (outlasts GX by nearly double),
Lighter Astral wheelset (friend in the biz),
Carbon Seatpost (let's not turn this into a dropper thread),
Lighter XR3/XR4 tires (the SE5s will stay on my "Moab" wheels),
Spurcycle Bell!

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm really liking the gen 6 even more after tonight's ride. Accidental PR on a mile long trail when I wasn't even trying to go fast and the bike deals with root chunk very well. Which is good, because Alaska singletrack is mostly roots or ATV ruts but mostly roots where I ride. The thing feels so light and composed when pointed downhill, it's light in a very good way. Loving it.

The RSL bar is growing on me, it's stiff but not harsh and I haven't even put my usual XL pnw loam grips on it yet. I have decided that I need to chop at least 10mm off each side tho. 21 big miles tonight and no complaints about the brakes with HS2 rotors, they are strong, consistent, great modulation, and not much learning curve to get used to them. I think I understand why everyone says to just get Codes and be done with it. Just don't forget the 2mm thick rotors to go with it.

I agree, the 42 to 52 jump isn't good. It also slows me down enough that mosquitos can really land on me and start feasting. The 45 to 51 on the Shimano cassettes was much nicer and I miss it. I now have a small touch of regret that I didn't get the gen 6 with Transmission as that cassette goes 44 to 52, so slightly better.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My 15 year old Specialized Micro Wedge seat bag finally gave up. The zipper blew up on a ride which was unfortunate..

So my minimal tool kit for road rides is a 700c tube, two tire levers and an Allen key multi tool. If I'm going for a bigger ride but still decent weather I'll throw in a chain tool and a magic link. I don't want a big bag and started looking for something minimalist and small. Came up with the Bontrager Elite saddle bag. $29 CDN so like $5 USD... I got the 0.65L version. Perfect. It has two velcro seat rail straps and a silicone rubber band for the seatpost. These rubber bands are becoming ubiquitous and they last a long time and do the job I have to say. Anyway it holds all of the above and fairly snugly so no rattling. You're not getting an MTB tube in there so buyer beware. It's not waterproof but for my use, don't care. It's fairly well sealed and water resistant apparently.

There are more expensive bags out there but for a minimalist seat bag, it's not bad. Also comes in what must be a nearly useless smaller size as well as two bigger sizes. I'll see if I get 15 years out of this one...

IMG_20230621_215026180.jpg
IMG_20230621_215017075.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Also comes in what must be a nearly useless smaller size as well as two bigger sizes.

*shrug* CO2 and a dart plug kit *shrug*

I'm starting to kind of just laugh when I see a multi-$K aero bike with giant chonky frame bags designed to look a certain way from the front - as if air behaves like lasers. :nono:

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I remind people when I get grief about my handlebar bag and aero, that my frontal area exceeds the bag's by a fair margin...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally caved and bought my first full suspension bike. It will have to share wheels with my hardtail for a while though

Awesome!

Details, please!

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like to think of my frame bag as an aero faring. I'm running 51mm deep aero wheels and 32mm tires when I don't have my chunky gravel wheelset on the Checkpoint.

I have the same saddle bag as @scott43 but I have the quick release clip on version.. I used to move it between my road bike and gravel bike till this year when I consolidated to just a gravel bike. That bag works great. Holds everything and still has a touch of space to jam your car keys in or a bar in around everything else. For a while I was able to have a CO2, tires level, plugs, mini tool, and a small pump in mine. Lezyne makes a micro pump that's about 6" long that'll fit in that bag.

Sponsor